Camera seems to be tilted.

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I conducted an IMU calibration on a completely level surface (dining room table) and also conducted a glimbal/camera calibration a few days ago.

Since then, it feels like my camera is tilted. If I'm taking a picture of the horizon, it appears the horizon is going from shorter on left to bigger on right. So the camera is tilted to the right I'm assuming?

Is there some sort of issue i'm having or should I conduct the IMU and glimbal/camera vibrations again?

Not sure if this will assist but it feels like when j launch the drone, it doesn't hover and stay in the one spot, it tends to drift back and forth about a metre or so, or even dips a metre or so before re positioning. I don't remember it being so loose as to speak before I did the IMU/camera calibrations.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do?

Cheers.

Out Droning Photography
--------------------------
• Instagram: @out_droning
• Facebook.com/outdroningphotography

2 things:

Not sure what you mean about the horizon being "shorter" on the left and "bigger" on the right. Do you mean the horizon is closer to the top of the image on the left side? If so, then your camera is tilting to the left, not the right.

WHY did you do an IMU calibration?

What I'm trying to get at with the horizon thing is that all my pictures I take, I use the grid box. If I'm looking say at the horizon with something underneath, it appears the right side of the horizon is tilted down compared to the left.

I did the IMU calibration because I updated the firmware on the drone. I was told IMU and camera calibration is needed after that?

I didn't think IMU calibration was that big of a deal?

Out Droning Photography

Actually, I just read that the IMU calibration should be conducted with no other electronics, magnets or metal nearby. I did the IMU calibration on my loungroom table which has these things within a few metres of the drone.

Could that causing it?

Out Droning Photography

I just read that the IMU calibration should be conducted with no other electronics, magnets or metal nearby
I think you're referring to the compass calibration.

I think you're referring to the compass calibration.

So IMU calibration doesn't go by the same theory? If I was to find a completely level surface in my house (I live in an apartment) and let it calibrate, electronics, magnets etc would not effect the reading?

Out Droning Photography

So IMU calibration doesn't go by the same theory?
No.

For IMU calibrations, make sure the surface is completely level (meaning you checked it with a level). And, make sure your Phantom is not disturbed while the calibration is running.

No.

For IMU calibrations, make sure the surface is completely level (meaning you checked it with a level). And, make sure your Phantom is not disturbed while the calibration is running.

Thanks. Would it be wise to remove the rubber landing pads from the bottom of the craft before conducting the IMU calibration? They appear fine and I haven't had any rough landings with it.

Also, by disturbed do you mean picked up or moved whilst calibrating?

Out Droning Photography

Would it be wise to remove the rubber landing pads from the bottom of the craft before conducting the IMU calibration?
No. It should calibrate fine with them attached.

by disturbed do you mean picked up or moved whilst calibrating?
Your Phantom needs to remain perfectly level during the calibration process. That means you should not move it or walk around and cause the floor to vibrate (thus causing your Phantom to move). Just sit tight and wait for the calibration to finish.

No. It should calibrate fine with them attached.

Your Phantom needs to remain perfectly level during the calibration process. That means you should not move it or walk around and cause the floor to vibrate (thus causing your Phantom to move). Just sit tight and wait for the calibration to finish.

Okay. Appreciate your quick response. I think the issue with my camera tilt is a bad IMU calibration I did ( must not have been completely level ). I'll get back to you soon with results of new calibration.

Out Droning Photography

Would it be wise to remove the rubber landing pads from the bottom of the craft before conducting the IMU calibration?

I did my last IMU calibration while the AC motor hubs were level using a piece of glass (picture frame or something similar) across all four motors (insert sheets of paper under the landing legs for a perfect horizontal alignment).

But even then, the horizon is still 0-1-2° tilted.

I did my last IMU calibration while the AC motor hubs were level using a piece of glass (picture frame or something similar) across all four motors (insert sheets of paper under the landing legs for a perfect horizontal alignment).

But even then, the horizon is still 0-1-2° tilted.

Smart idea. I think the other concerning thing for me was the amount of movement my drone was doing just hovering. It was like it was in a gust of wind yet, there was zero to minimal wind. From what I've read, that's a result of a bad IMU calibration.

Out Droning Photography

Sorry if I missed something but did you tried to manually correct it?
If it is constant during the flight time, it can be corrected.
Capture.PNG

Or maybe there is an old non zero value.
Last year there was an issue with that but it has been, at least for me, solved in the firmware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31