Camera sag with ND filter

Reaction score
So my bird came with ND filters as part of an Amazon package deal. The ND filter I have is Ultimaxx adjustable ND 0-400. Thought that was great! Using it on AC, the camera will drop from horizontal to vertical. It corrects itself, but continues to happen. Is the gimbal too weak for such a filter? I cannot imagine it is that much heavier than just a single strength ND filter. Have tried calibrating the gimbal with the filter on, but it did not help. Anyone have similar experiences?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I got these ones last week while BB was running a huge sale on them....I have a p3 4K and have had no issues with them at all.
266950a185b12ffcc4f77abba5cf3f41.jpg

@Dorf40
You did not say what the weight is of the filter, so it is anyone's guess as to whether it is too heavy or not.
That being said, I do not know what the maximum weight is that the camera can hold up, but there have been threads in the past, where users did have filters that weighed too much, causing the exact same issue.
I remember one of the users added counter weight to the rear side of the camera.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Unit505
@Dorf40
You did not say what the weight is of the filter, so it is anyone's guess as to whether it is too heavy or not.
That being said, I do not know what the maximum weight is that the camera can hold up, but there have been threads in the past, where users did have filters that weighed too much, causing the exact same issue.
I remember one of the users added counter weight to the rear side of the camera.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
That's an idea! I have a 37mm doubler lens that I used on my GoPro. I may have to try a counter balance and see what that does.

Post a link or pic to the filters you have?

Some may be too heavy. Quite a few are good and ok.

Hi Nigel. So even though it says compatible, I do get the issue from #1 post with the variable ND filter attached. Evidently it is too heavy for the gimbal.

I could not even get a set like that to screw on to the camera on my Standard. I had to buy the set that had the slip on sleeve to screw the lens on to. It was too heavy so I cut away most of the plastic except the little fingers and the front ring to hold it on. King of hard to explain. Would need to take a picture.

I have the exactly ND filters you have. I had used the variable ND filter and the UV filter several times without any issue. These filters are very light and I don't see why it could affect the gimbal. Most probably your gimbal is having some issues.

a79c0e5a711003992d5e6125a256826f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Agreed on the gimbal issue. Calibrated with filter on in hopes it would solve the issue. No joy for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan