Camera Ribbon Cable raplacement

Reaction score
Anyone knows some sort of solution to broken camera ribbon cable ? New Phantom or new camera is not an option...
I'am watching through the ebay for every single day, and there is no cable packs that contain this small camera ribbon cable. :(

Well if a new camera is not an option for you, then you are stuffed......
Sorry but you will have to buy a new camera assembly or take it to a dealer for repair.

Boundless said:
Anyone knows some sort of solution to broken camera ribbon cable ? New Phantom or new camera is not an option...
I'am watching through the ebay for every single day, and there is no cable packs that contain this small camera ribbon cable. :(
I'm facing the same situation. I have had problems with my PV2+ since the beginning. I contacted DJI, they referred me to my local DJI reps. The service rep was understanding, cooperative and helpful with my units problems. Suggested I do an advanced IMU calibration before I send it in, even though the basic test said it was ok.
That was a tremendous improvement. Afterwards upon the first flight I still had problems with diving and no response to the throttle while it was moving forward. It came down the way you would land a plane. Upon hitting the front of the landing gear it did a minor crash and the camera popped out and tore the ribbon. It didn't even flip over. This is bad engineering. First there should be a retainer clip to keep it from coming off so easily. Second the ribbon should have a top to bottom layer snap connector like many other ribbons used in iPhones etc. In the event of a camera separation it would simply pull apart and you would just snap it back together and fly in less than a minute. This would eliminate about 95% of the ribbon failures. I think DJI should retrofit all of the units on goodwill that have suffered as a result of their design defect. I'm waiting for their response before I purchase another brand or not.

Despite all the "expert" and DJI customer service claims that it's not possible for a user to replace the camera ribbon cable, M.Tigelaar took his gimbal apart over the weekend to prove them wrong. See his post and photos here:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22344&p=213699&hilit=ribbon+cable#p213635

There are also descriptions in that thread of how to release the locks on the cable connectors.

Now if DJI would just make the part available, your problem would be solved. Of course they'd probably charge about $670 and you could just buy a camera and gimbal for only $9 more.

Good luck finding a used cable in the meantime.

I've contacted the people from E-Bay (of the ribbon cable thats used to connect the Zenmuse H3-3D) in Hong Kong and asked them if they can make a ribbon cable for the vision plus.
They asked a picture, and they have it now. :cool:
Maybe there is a little chance they can deliver, so I asked them ;)
This is there answer:

Hello,
Thank you, I will find for offer :)
Thank you and have a nice day!

I did not need it myself, but a lot of people do :|

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 724
I gave up on getting service. So I now have an extra camera/gimbal with a broken ribbon cable. It's for sale. Make me an offer. Please....

M.Tigelaar said:
I've contacted the people from E-Bay (of the ribbon cable thats used to connect the Zenmuse H3-3D) in Hong Kong and asked them if they can make a ribbon cable for the vision plus.
This is there answer:

Hello,

Not sure a picture is going to do much good. They need specs, like number of connectors at each end, thickness, width, etc.

One of those enterprising Chinese electronic companies should buy a Vision+, reverse engineer the ribbon cable and sell a bunch of them. Maybe DJI would get the message that they should sell this part. DJI sells a replacement ribbon for one of their other system.

Or, if you have nothing else to do, check out one of these videos, and fix your ribbon yourself.

http://youtu.be/n1Lve6lHeOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzqIoq8LEEc

Thanks for your answers, mates!
Now I'am trying to find out who will be able to fix this cable. And it's not such easy as in that movies, because it's 4mm wide and it has 24 ribbons inside... (cheked under the microscope).

Boundless said:
Thanks for your answers, mates!
Now I'am trying to find out who will be able to fix this cable. And it's not such easy as in that movies, because it's 4mm wide and it has 24 ribbons inside... (cheked under the microscope).

24 ribbons? Are we talking 24 connections in the one ribbon cable?
That's a hell of a lot!!
Thanks for taking the time to inspect so closely.

Jstic said:
M.Tigelaar said:
This is there answer:

Hello,

Not sure a picture is going to do much good. They need specs, like number of connectors at each end, thickness, width, etc.

I know, but now they now where we tolking about. ;)
Somewhere in China there is a company that makes them already :mrgreen:

I am still skeptical about the possibility of replacement even if we did have the cable.

I have had mine apart and can assure you that its not going to be a small project !

rrmccabe said:
I am still skeptical about the possibility of replacement even if we did have the cable.

I have had mine apart and can assure you that its not going to be a small project !
In what way? Are you talking about the inside connector? Also I'm not sure how easy it is to unstick the cable from the arm. Peeling it off looks risky.
I've had a look inside mine but didn't have the courage to disconnect.

Double-D said:
In what way? Are you talking about the inside connector? Also I'm not sure how easy it is to unstick the cable from the arm. Peeling it off looks risky.
I've had a look inside mine but didn't have the courage to disconnect.

Getting the cable unstuck from the arm is the easiest part. Getting it loose and reattached to the circuit board might be impossible. I never did figure out how to remove it.

And finally taking apart the gimbal to attach down there? I started taking a broken one apart and decided it was not worth my time as DJI was going to replace it.

I am sure someone will figure it out. Just saying not going to be easy.

Interesting. That connector did look tiny, though I thought it would just pop off much like the cables in a smart phone. Maybe not.
Thanks for the reply :)

Double-D said:
Interesting. That connector did look tiny, though I thought it would just pop off much like the cables in a smart phone. Maybe not.
Thanks for the reply :)

The cable is adhered to the board. I dont know if once you got it loose it would pull from the connector. I might add it was WELL adhered.

Attachments

• dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    841.6 KB · Views: 609

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj