Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Camera off center, 30 degrees to right

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by FlysFairlyStraight, Jul 25, 2015.

1. FlysFairlyStraight

I have a DJI Phantom 3 Professional. Flies well, gimbal works well, but the camera is "centered" off center. By that, I mean that when it's sitting powered on and idle, the camera looks about 30 degrees to the right.

I've done an IMU calibration and several gimbal calibration, and it stays this way.

Any suggestions what might be wrong, or how to troubleshoot or fix?

My theory is that something is just bent, but it doesn't appear to be.

It's almost as if the "top" gimbal motor think center is 30 degrees to the right.

Thanks for your thoughts or suggestions!

2. jryser

Check ur gimbal screw abs make sure it's tight against the post it's supposed to be on. [​IMG]

Sent from my PT beating heart

Oso and YolevonALLin like this.
  3. FlysFairlyStraight

jryser - thank you so much for your kind reply. I had earlier read your note on my smartphone and didn't see your picture - I was headed back to ask for clarification. Thank you for the awesome picture. My drone's at home, and I'll check this tonight Do you recall offhand what kind of screw is in there? I'd imagine it's flat, but do you know?

Thanks!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::)

4. funkdoobies

Thanks for that. This sorted out my off centre camera. The grub screw tightens down onto a shaft, I held a flat head screw driver up the shaft and swiveled the camera to straighten up the camera. And jobs a good un! Turns out that they obviously have some play left and right.. Pic of the shaft attached.

Sorry about the double post below... Couldn't edit to add picture

#4 funkdoobies, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  5. funkdoobies

Attached Files:

6. FlysFairlyStraight

I apologize, I don't get it yet. Do I understand that you used a flat screw driver to align the rotation of the gimbal/camera with the "D" looking hole, then you used the vertical set-screw to lock it in place?

I haven't fiddled with it yet, but any more thoughts, instructions, or suggestions are very appreciated!

7. funkdoobies

Correct, I pushed the flat head in the gap of the D as you mentioned. I then undid the grub screw and pushed on the edge of the D of the shaft which then allowed me to spin the gimbal arm slightly. Once I thought it looked centred I locked the grub screw down again.

merophosis likes this.
  8. merophosis

It uses a hex key. Just loosen it up a little, make sure the arm isn't touching the plastic cover above it, make sure you can feel the flat part of the D on the shaft (no jokes here..though I'm laughing), and make sure the screw is centered on the shaft and tighten it.

Sometimes when it's more loose than that the gimbal goes completely crazy and begins to spaz out.

My experience? I've completely rebuilt a few of the P3Ps, including the entire camera gimbal assembly.

On a side note: anyone who reads this, I highly recommend that good 'ol Phantom Fix or any nice bracket that screws into the gimbal to prevent that gimbal separation. That ribbon cable is expensive and replacing it isn't particularly hard, but there is a step most people miss when reattaching it...save yourself the trouble and money and just get a bracket to prevent that separation!

Mako79 likes this.
  9. funkdoobies

If you push from an angle on the flat side of the shaft either top of the D or bottom you will be able to rotate the gimbal arm so the camera is as centred as you're ever going to get by eye. Mine was originally only slightly off centred but meant I couldn't actually fly straight and was really rather annoying as my videos always showed me compensating my flying path. It's all sorted now though and where I see is the direction I actually fly.

10. jryser

Awesome! I'm glad I could help for once!

Sent from my PT beating heart

11. Mako79

Many said that gimbal separation will NOT happen in the P2V+ V3 and P3's as it is the revised design.

I made my own bracket.
    [​IMG]

merophosis likes this.
  12. merophosis

Many might have said that, but mine had a glitch and decided to land itself (even though the RTH failsafe was set to an altitude, not landing) but hit a street sign coming down, lunged forward and crashed in grass. Found it with the battery popped out, gimbal separated and ribbon cable ripped. Since then, bought a bracket for both of my P3Ps like the one you made. If it falls the right way, it'll come apart easily. My friend crashed his twice and it didn't separate for him, both times hitting the concrete.