Camera lens solution and question

Reaction score
As I was landing my P3S my dog was so kind as to help it to the last 4 feet down. He inadvertently grabbed the camera and put a K-9 through the lens. Of course I was angry but relieved he did not get a mouth full of propeller.
I then called DJI and asked them how much it would cost to fix the camera or ship a new lens. Well we all know how that went. I decided to fix it myself. I research and ordered a gopro lens which works fine. Today I was looking at the cracked lens and realized the actual lens is fine. Its the glass piece that sits on the lens that broken. The glass piece looks like a magnifying glass.

Solution to broken lens: GoPro replacement lens. (Amazon)

Question- Can anyone tell me where or how I can get a good glass piece? (Not sure what its called)

Does anyone know how to get the metal lens guard off the camera? It would be easier to put my old lens back if could get that piece out.
DJI Camera.jpg
20151226_171646.jpg

There is a screw on lens on the very front of the camera. Is this what broke? A replacement can be bought from DJI or other vendors. From DJI it's about $45.

Reactions: Guardmy6
The P3S does not have a removable UV filter.

"You're killin me Smalls, you're killin me"

I thought the P3S had the same camera as the P3A. What the heck... why would they not just use the same camera with a protective lens on the camera. Seems like they nickled and dimed the P3S to get it down in price.

The P3S camera has the same specs but it isn't the same as the P3A. The S uses a Panasonic sensor while the A uses a Sony. The gimbal mechanism is different as well. On the S the Micro-SD inserts into the top of the camera while on the A it inserts into the gimbal base. Replacement cost for a S-model camera/gimbal is $379 while an A-model is $409. Unsure if these are interchangeable.

The P3S camera has the same specs but it isn't the same as the P3A. The S uses a Panasonic sensor while the A uses a Sony. The gimbal mechanism is different as well. On the S the Micro-SD inserts into the top of the camera while on the A it inserts into the gimbal base. Replacement cost for a S-model camera/gimbal is $379 while an A-model is $409. Unsure if these are interchangeable.
Wow, now thats what I'm talking about, new information... Thats not the answer to my problem but new info all the same.I have something to research. Thanks Dirty Bird. At least I know who makes it now. Any idea who makes the lens?

Unfortunately I don't know who makes the lens.
thats ok its to progress to know who makes the sensor. Ill find a camera repair shop to see if I can find out how to replace the glass piece. I know many of us would love that info. Ill post it if I find it.

The P3S is fairly new so I don't know what the used parts supply chain is like but you might be able to purchase a broken camera with a salvageable lens. That or search around a bit on the internet.

thats ok its to progress to know who makes the sensor. Ill find a camera repair shop to see if I can find out how to replace the glass piece. I know many of us would love that info. Ill post it if I find it.

Ya, been there, done that, haha. The people advertising to buy crashed UAS don't seem to have much luck either. Its not that I want to be cheap but I love a good challenge and finding P3S anything seems to be a challenge.

I made a short video on removing the camera because I couldn't find info on it. I may have to make one on the lens too. (when I solve the mystery of course. lol)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've never seen a replacement lens.
I haven't either but as I'm learning, many Gopro lens will fit the camera. If I can find the manufacture DJI uses, I can find a replacement for the ASPH lens that is broken. ASPH lens= the glass piece on my finger in the pic I posted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic