Camera isn't level - any solution?

Reaction score
I've just started seriously using my P2 with a GoPro on an H3-3D gimbal, for video, and I've noticed that all my video has a definite tilt to the angle of the horizon - it slopes diagonally upwards from left to right. Not by any great amount, but enough to be annoying. Is there any way to adjust the tilt of the camera? The Phantom hovers perfectly still, so I don't think it's a compass calibration error.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Place it on a level surface. Run Full IMU calibration.

Then do field calibration prior to launch. Most post that this fixes the issue.

I have even gone to the point of getting a large level chopping block on desk using a bubble level on phone, shimming it to level. I don't think it needs to be that precise because of the fact there is no guarantee the rubber pads on bottom of landing gear are compressing exactly the same.

Hopefully this helps you. I have not had this issue personally, so its best guess solution based on viewing tons of thread conversations.

Did you recently have a crash where the gimbal could have taken some stress? This happened to me and was the result of a crash.; I had to have it bent back by some guys who knew what they were doing from other repair jobs of the same time.

If you did not have a crash then disregard.

I used a glass shelf yesterday. After the update I did the IMU recal on an unlevel desk. Whoops. It was wondering like crazy even after a compass recal. So I used the glass shelf and levelled it with my business cards. I have two flights and it is rock solid. I haven't done the compass again but I probably should. At first I didn't understand how level it needed to be.

TodayTrader said:
Did you recently have a crash where the gimbal could have taken some stress? This happened to me and was the result of a crash.; I had to have it bent back by some guys who knew what they were doing from other repair jobs of the same time.

If you did not have a crash then disregard.

Not what I'd call a crash, but I have had a couple of hard landings which have popped two or three of the gimbal's rubber cushioning balls from the upper bracket that's screwed to the Phantom. No visible damage, though, and nothing bent.

I'll try the IMU calibration today and see what difference that makes.

OK, I've done both a basic and advanced IMU calibration, and then a compass calibration, but it STILL hasn't fixed it :(. When the Phantom is on an absolutely flat surface, powered up, the camera has a horizontal tilt of around 5 degrees.

Any other suggestions?

Looking at it, I think it's a problem with the gimbal. See the attached photograph - the rubber balls aren't all at the same extension - it's squashed on one side and extended at the other. Perhaps I did do some damage in a hard landing, after all?

What's strange, though, is that the tilt of the camera is opposite to the apparent tilt of the gimbal: the gimbal appears to be up on the left side of the photograph (the left ball is squashed and the right one stretched), but the camera tilt is the other way: down on the left and up on the right.

Attachments

• Phantom.jpg
    Phantom.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 662
Have you over tightened the retainer clips on the gimbal? It looks like the 'squashed' rubber dampeners are the ones with the plastic retainers. I cut mine off and replaced with a loose cable tie.

I would start by popping all the rubber bits out and then back in as it looks like some of them might be pinched and are holding the gimbal unlevel. If not, chances are you gimbal arms are bent and need to be straightened. I did this on mine with a few small crashes when I started, was easy enough to straighten with some pliers without removing the gimbal from the machine.

fixedwing said:
Have you over tightened the retainer clips on the gimbal? It looks like the 'squashed' rubber dampeners are the ones with the plastic retainers. I cut mine off and replaced with a loose cable tie.

I would start by popping all the rubber bits out and then back in as it looks like some of them might be pinched and are holding the gimbal unlevel. If not, chances are you gimbal arms are bent and need to be straightened. I did this on mine with a few small crashes when I started, was easy enough to straighten with some pliers without removing the gimbal from the machine.

I agree. It looks like the rubber is being squished on one side. It definitely looks like the gimbal arms are bent.

34tvs.jpg

Those bent arms mean something happened with enough force to tweak the vertical gimbal. Right now, it thinks it is level but the only way to fix it is GENTLY bend the vertical structure back in line. It's a two person job and I paid somebody to do it for me,

I would suggest doing more digging around on how to bend it back without breaking the whole thing. It can be done. Mine is back to normal and btw my gimbal arms looked just like yours. But that's not the area to focus on.

Good luck

I took it in to my very, very helpful dealer (Heliguy) and they replaced the gimbal free of charge for me. I can't recommend them highly enough. Problem solved, and I'm going to fly a lot more carefully now I know how relatively delicate the gimbal is.

HarryT said:
I took it in to my very, very helpful dealer (Heliguy) and they replaced the gimbal free of charge for me. I can't recommend them highly enough. Problem solved, and I'm going to fly a lot more carefully now I know how relatively delicate the gimbal is.

Wow that's great service...

Could you recommended to heliguy to open up a business in Washington State US. I would sure appreciate it.

HarryT said:
Looking at it, I think it's a problem with the gimbal. See the attached photograph - the rubber balls aren't all at the same extension - it's squashed on one side and extended at the other. Perhaps I did do some damage in a hard landing, after all?

What's strange, though, is that the tilt of the camera is opposite to the apparent tilt of the gimbal: the gimbal appears to be up on the left side of the photograph (the left ball is squashed and the right one stretched), but the camera tilt is the other way: down on the left and up on the right.

Look at your gimbal from the back and see if the mount is hanging straight. Mine took a hard lick yesterday and it bent the vertical support. I had to take the gimbal apart and straighten it.

Damon said:

What's the field calibration? The compass dance?

Bluegrass said:
Damon said:

What's the field calibration? The compass dance?
Yes, sorry for bad terminology.

HarryT said:

If you've done advanced IMU calibration on a perfectly level surface and it's still not level, gently but firmly bend the gimbal plate till level. Easy. I've had to do it twice after minor mishaps. Works like a charm, no tools required, takes 2 minutes and costs $0.

Just bend a very small amount at a time with the corner of a table or table top.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj