Camera Guard

Hate to be the voice of doom & gloom, but the integrity of the upright supports on the landing gear is the weak link. They will crumple (see pic) and the camera/gimbal will be driven into the camera guard then the ground, causing it to break anyway would it not?

Attachments

• 20140518_110002.jpg
    20140518_110002.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 339
Should be the legs that are made of carbon fibre and that wouldnt happen !

;)

Putting a guard on to protect the camera is probably better than nothing at all. Plus it may be that attaching it to the legs may support the legs better to prevent a crumple?
Hurry up and make the guard before I snap my gimbal! ;)

Phantom Menace66

Looks like a really bad crash, not sure anything could have saved that one. If the legs were solid, the force would have been absorbed by the body resulting in a broken lower body shell. Looks like the vertical gimbal arm took a lot of force also.
Could you send me the vertical arm? I am looking into making a titanium replacement arm and need one to measure and experiment on. It seems to be a weak part also.

Thanks

fastsmiles said:
Phantom Menace66

Looks like a really bad crash, not sure anything could have saved that one. If the legs were solid, the force would have been absorbed by the body resulting in a broken lower body shell. Looks like the vertical gimbal arm took a lot of force also.
Could you send me the vertical arm? I am looking into making a titanium replacement arm and need one to measure and experiment on. It seems to be a weak part also.

Thanks

Good point actually ! Suppose a crash is a trade off for what bits are more easily replaceable.

:)

I think you may be able to eliminate a good percentage of the gimbal failures by using the longer legs and replacing the two gimbal safety pins with some sort of spring absorbing bolt. figure out what the right size bolt would have to be then add a washer followed by a small spring followed by another washer then take that and feed it through both halves of the gimbal add another washer followed by a nylon self-locking nut. make the bolt just long enough so that the spring only starts to take weight after the gimbal leaves the four rubber bumpers. If the Phantom hits hard enough to dislodge it from the rubber bumpers it will bounce on the springs taking up most of the energy hopefully saving it. Right now the safety pins are too strong and transferring the energy back to the gimbal.

denofr said:
I think you may be able to eliminate a good percentage of the gimbal failures by using the longer legs and replacing the two gimbal safety pins with some sort of spring absorbing bolt. figure out what the right size bolt would have to be then add a washer followed by a small spring followed by another washer then take that and feed it through both halves of the gimbal add another washer followed by a nylon self-locking nut. make the bolt just long enough so that the spring only starts to take weight after the gimbal leaves the four rubber bumpers. If the Phantom hits hard enough to dislodge it from the rubber bumpers it will bounce on the springs taking up most of the energy hopefully saving it. Right now the safety pins are too strong and transferring the energy back to the gimbal.

Use a cable tie and don't tighten instead of the safety pins??? maybe that would lower absorption??

fastsmiles said:
Pays to be resourceful, but I wanted something a little stronger and it needed to look professional since I use my P2V+ for business and my clients often like to watch.

Be aware that the FAA requires you to posses a "comercial" pilots license to use a drone for commerce. They , I heard, are very stricken and fines are large. You cannot even give away pics & bids if the end user is profiting, I was told.

Hi, I am very much interested, the camera and the gimbal can easily be damaged even in a small crash. Actually it happened to me at the first flight. This is the Achilles' heel and the BIG problem of this amazing drone. Anyway sth to protect the camera is a must for the PV2+. I welcome any offer/proposal/idea for a solution.

Great idea, thanks for your generous offer to share and do the R and D.
Yes, please put me down as interested. Thanks

caprob said:
fastsmiles said:
Pays to be resourceful, but I wanted something a little stronger and it needed to look professional since I use my P2V+ for business and my clients often like to watch.

Be aware that the FAA requires you to posses a "comercial" pilots license to use a drone for commerce. They , I heard, are very stricken and fines are large. You cannot even give away pics & bids if the end user is profiting, I was told.

I am sure that Fastsmiles donates the use of his drone as a public service to enhance the perception of drones used for good. I would guess he does charge for his consulting and video production time however. Correct?

fastsmiles, if you haven't started production yet, I'm wondering why you don't shorten it a bit and notch the middle of the end sides so it will insert into the legs rather then be attached under the legs? I have a laser cutter at work, so I took your original dimensions and made one out of acrylic. After I attached it, I thought it would be better if it fit into the legs instead of under so I'm going to make another on Monday or Tuesday and see if I like it better. What do you think?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20