Camera got wet on Phantom 3 standard

Reaction score
I was just flying my drone over a lake and I wasn't paying attention and I got it too low and the camera got wet. I flew it back home fine but now the camera is acting funny and I don't have any signal from the camera. Anybody have suggestions on what to do? Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Hello
I'd remove gimbal, then
I would remove all cover plates ( watch YouTube on procedure, as not to mess up ribbon cable taking of bottom plate, once open place whole gimbal in bowl of rice, let dry COMPLETELY out a few days if necessary , then replace covers, try again, if still messed up, main gimbal board and/or camera board is toast.

I have a p2v+ camera that stayed 3 days under water in a river, until it was found, and even after all that, it still works beautifully! Go figure?

You might get lucky?

J Dot
:cool:

I was just flying my drone over a lake and I wasn't paying attention and I got it too low and the camera got wet. I flew it back home fine but now the camera is acting funny and I don't have any signal from the camera. Anybody have suggestions on what to do? Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
Drone went swimming without floaties

Hello
I'd remove gimbal, then
I would remove all cover plates ( watch YouTube on procedure, as not to mess up ribbon cable taking of bottom plate, once open place whole gimbal in bowl of rice, let dry COMPLETELY out a few days if necessary , then replace covers, try again, if still messed up, main gimbal board and/or camera board is toast.

I have a p2v+ camera that stayed 3 days under water in a river, until it was found, and even after all that, it still works beautifully! Go figure?

You might get lucky?

J Dot

I'm relatively new to drones and don't know too much about cameras either. That process seems like one that I would screw up, do you think it would work if I put the whole entire drone in a huge bag or bucket of rice? Right now I have a fan and a hair drier both blowing on it.

Also, I see that their are two grey wires running down the legs of the phantom. I'm not exactly sure that these wires are for but I'm assuming they got wet too. Could these wires give me any issues?

Those wires are antennas.

Yes antennas I'm sure are fine,
Removing the gimbal is very easy,
Just squeeze the rubber dampener balls ( 4 of them ) usually white, and pull gently down to release balls from aluminum plate, then keep ahold of the camera with your other hand, gently remove the wires connecting camera, paying close attention to the wire with a clip, others just pull out with no lock. That is it, then just reverse the procedure to replace gimbal. If you can look up YouTube, there are HUNDREDS of videos on how to, from ribbon replacement to full rebuild. At least you can familiarize yourself with it, nothing on these is hard, finding the problem is hardest thing of all, fixing it s a breeze! They are only a sum of parts, and all the parts can be replaced! So don't worry too much my friend, your gimbal mainboard are fairly easy to get and pretty cheap too, try to find a phantom vision plus gimbal mainboard! o_O

J Dot

Take care, Fly safe!

Thanks, somebody can type, take me an hour to type the much.

Reactions: J Dot
The grey antennas on your legs are you Tx receiver antennas ( you controller is transmitter, phantom has receiver ) your wifi antennas are internal ( if you look in battery compartment ) these are for your video feed!

Hope this helps,

J Dot

Take care, Fly safe!

Flip phone?o_O

J Dot

Take care, Fly safe!
No, just never learned to type. I even wrote programs in foxpro, usually you miss spell variables on purpose anyway.

The grey antennas on your legs are you Tx receiver antennas ( you controller is transmitter, phantom has receiver ) your wifi antennas are internal ( if you look in battery compartment ) these are for your video feed!

Hope this helps,

J Dot

Take care, Fly safe!
So, in your opinion I don't need to worry about the antennas? I just need to worry about drying out the camera and gimble?

Yep, the antennas are just basically ends of wires

Yes,
Antennas are fine, just get that gimbal dried out, and it may surprise you!

RODPAD,
Lol, just pulling your chain, I use an iPhone, and CONSTANTLY, have to go back and retype words, that this phone so kindly decided to replace my words with! It drives me CRAZY!
But I guess I'm pretty used to it now!
So I just give it hell, and fix it later! ( pardon my French )!

J Dot

Take care, Fly safe!

Yes,
Antennas are fine, just get that gimbal dried out, and it may surprise you!

RODPAD,
Lol, just pulling your chain, I use an iPhone, and CONSTANTLY, have to go back and retype words, that this phone so kindly decided to replace my words with! It drives me CRAZY!
But I guess I'm pretty used to it now!
So I just give it hell, and fix it later! ( pardon my French )!

J Dot

Take care, Fly safe!
I've got the gimble off of the drone now and it is currently sitting in front of a fan. I'm going to put it in a bag of rice later tonight. Should I further disassemble the gimble before I dry it out with rice or will it be fine how it is? And how long would you recommend I leave it in the bag of rice?

I'd also like to add that right after I got the camera wet I tried restarting the battery to see if that would help anything. After reading around some threads I see that that was a bad idea. Am I okay because the battery was never wet anyway or could the camera also be damaged because I restarted it a couple of times after it got wet?

I personally would remove all cover plates, but either way I'm sure will be fine, as rice absorbs moisture, I'd say a few days to be safe, as some leave it for a week, but if you just dipped it in the water for a second, it might not be completely drenched, but rather wet spots here and there, I can't tell you that, but I will say the longer the better. But ultimately up to you.
Maybe take it out now and then run a blow dryer lightly over it a few times, then back in the rice, might help speed up the process, by introducing dry air to hard to reach places.

Let us know how it goes! And keeping fingers crossed for you Bro!
Good luck!

J Dot

Take care, Fly safe!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers