Camera/Gimbal off centered

Reaction score
Hey guys I've read over a couple of threads but haven't found a real fix for my issue yet , short of sending my p3 professional back to DJI. My camera is pointing to the left at idle on the ground and while in flight, which means I cannot fly straight. I have calibrated IMU and Gimbal several times with no success. The set screw is tight and nothing is touching. It has not been crashed or landed hard and does not have a scratch on it anywhere. Any ideas how I can get my camera to point straight forward without waiting 3 weeks to get it back from DJI?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 748
Mine tends to do the same thing, though not as bad as yours. Hopefully someone can chime in with a fix

Remove the cover of the rear gimbal motor and check for correct alignment of the motor post. The post has a flat spot and should be parallel with the top of the camera housing. There is a weakness in the press fitting from the gimbal motor to this post and it can get out of alignment and cause the gimbal to orientate incorrectly. See my post on this fix.

Hold bird up above your head and camera facing you.
Look up towards the square gimbal flange and you will see a pencil sized hole with a half diameter shaft. It is the yaw motor shaft.
The flat part of that shaft should face to your right with the camera facing you.

If it is .......good, if not ....that has to be resolved. If it is good we need to look at electrical alignment.

Hold bird up above your head and camera facing you.
Look up towards the square gimbal flange and you will see a pencil sized hole with a half diameter shaft. It is the yaw motor shaft.
The flat part of that shaft should face to your right with the camera facing you.

If it is .......good, if not ....that has to be resolved. If it is good we need to look at electrical alignment.

I will check that as soon as I get home but I'm almost positive that the flat part of the shaft is correct as I tried loosening the screw that holds the arm on that shaft to adjust last night but because of the flat it just went back to same spot every time

Plenty of youtube videos about this problem. I have not got this problem but I know how to fix it through those videos.

To save you any hassle here you go. :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You have to put the salve where the sore is.
As i understand, the issue isn't with the roll axis(which the video covered) but the yaw axis.

Reactions: Oso
As i understand, the issue isn't with the roll axis(which the video covered) but the yaw axis.
Exactly. I was also wondering why people were suggesting the roll axis fix.

You have to put the salve where the sore is.
Can you tell me how to adjust it electrically? It's the axis that has the D shaped shaft that I need to adjust.

Ok so upon further review I have discovered that the yaw arm is bent. I took a picture with the P3P upside down and the arm pointing down the center and you can see the camera is off to the right and the back/vertical portion of the arm matches the angle of the camera instead of following the front/horizontal portion of the arm. I'm assuming this isn't normal.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 579
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    963.2 KB · Views: 576
Hey guys I've read over a couple of threads but haven't found a real fix for my issue yet , short of sending my p3 professional back to DJI. My camera is pointing to the left at idle on the ground and while in flight, which means I cannot fly straight. I have calibrated IMU and Gimbal several times with no success. The set screw is tight and nothing is touching. It has not been crashed or landed hard and does not have a scratch on it anywhere. Any ideas how I can get my camera to point straight forward without waiting 3 weeks to get it back from DJI?

Thanks in advance

You can adjust a little hex head screw to adjust the camera.

IMG_1633_zpspz2aztsd.jpg

No worries, I had been curious about yaw adjust too, had heard about the hex nut fix and didn't know if I had gone about it wrong .

Question on this- If the hex screw is tight against the flat part of the metal arm, how does the adjustment work?
That is my issue, when you make a small adjustment the set screw (aka grub screw) it presses hard against the flat area and as you tighten the screw down it just re-adjusts back to the original position
IMG_4843.jpg

How about taking a Dremil cutting wheel to the shaft? Adjusting the angle 'bit by bit"?
Honestly I think I would do more damage then good.

I think the issue is that the the camera is actually placed more towards the left on the drone, so if I ended up adjusting it to be centered when looking up then the camera would actually pointed towards the right when pointing forward, which would not be good.

It would be cool if they did a firmware update that would allow you to offset the camera to point to the right a little when pointing the camera up to minimize the left arm showing in the frame.

Please try this, enable the 30° extensible and look as far up as possible, do you see the left arm of your phantom or is it perfectly centered, please post a pic of your results, thanks!
Screenshot_20160514-133751.png

Screenshot_20160514-134209.png

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31