Camera Gimbal Dead after Firmware Update

Reaction score
I have found similar threads but no solutions so far. I am trying to fix my friend's P3 Pro. He updated the FW to 1.6.0040 in the aircraft by following the DJI instructions but now the gimbal is limp and there is no video. The drone can still fly.
On the DJI Go app, About Screen, the aircraft and version is "N/A".
I tried to re-install the FW. The LED on the gimbal blinks green and red for several minutes then it goes dark...forever. The two front LEDs are solid red, the two rear LEDs are blinking yellow, the gimbal is limp and it stays this way (for over an hour until I shut it off).
I pulled the SD card and there is no text file, hidden or not. It is as though it stopped midway and just bailed. I then tried to downgrade the FW to 1.3.20 and the same thing happened (nothing at all). In the pdf instructions, it states that you have to use the DJI Go app to upgrade the aircraft but the controller must be off. Two things that do not make sense...there is no SD card slot in the Google Nexus using the DJI Go app and a laptop is better for downloading, unzipping and installing the .bin file anyway. The instructions conflict with reality.
Is this gimbal bricked now? Or is there another method to connect directly from my laptop to the aircraft via USB and a software application to flash it directly? It seems that the DJI Assistant software is for older models.

Is the gimbal always limp while the Phantom is turned on?

I had something similar happen with my p3a. After the upgrade, the telemetry back from the bird worked, but no video. It thought it was a p3p-showed a 4k camera, but unable to change many settings.
In the end, the solution was to put a card with the firmware back into the bird. It only did one of it's dadadada noises, but then worked correctly. The txt said that the firmware was the same, as it does when it hasn't done anything. However, after that-no problems.

The gimbal moves in the beginning for about one minute before it goes limp and stays that way.

I have the bin file in the SD card in the aircraft with the remote turned off just like the instructions state. There are no other files in the SD card except for some empty folders (DCIM and the hidden, but empty folders)

I would love to connect my computer to the aircraft via the USB to micro USB cable to see what the current state of the flash is but not sure that that app is publicly available.

It sounds like this issue.
yes, it sounds a lot like my issue with the same frustration. I have been trying to install a downgraded FW load but still no resolution. It never goes into the FW upgrade mode according to the beeps. Just the two beeps. They go forever. The DJI Go app said that the aircraft had FW version 1.19 or something like that (I cannot get it to connect now). Certainly a mismatch and much older version.

I also pressed the reset button while powering up the aircraft as is shown in the video instructions. The gimbal goes through its motions, goes limp and the aircraft just keeps going beep beep, beep beep, etc. It never concludes nor does it write a txt file to the SD card. Firmware!!!

Per the thread I linked above, you can see Wolfiesden got his fixed for free. It's surely no fun sending your Phantom in to be repaired, but it might be your only option at this point.

Per the thread I linked above, you can see Wolfiesden got his fixed for free. It's surely no fun sending your Phantom in to be repaired, but it might be your only option at this point.
I appreciate your time. I have spent about six hours of my time on this when I would rather be working on something else. I will give the drones back to my friend to take to a local dealer for repair. I gave it my best. I am an RF electrical engineer and enjoy working on hardware. I hate working with firmware. when you do not have all of the tools to analyze it properly.
Again, thanks for your help.

I quit downloading the firmware at the first of January after having difficulty with downloading firmware . Then hearing all the problems with people downloading firmware. Plus I'm sure they'll hide a firmware limiting height, range etc. my bird flies without glitches I have the 3-4 auto downloads for following, circling, waypoints. But I'm done until I feel comfortable hearing first hands accounts by users.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: mdowney58
Sent this to DJI, took in to a local store and they couldn't fix the problem. Was working great until new update. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and to whom it may concern, I updated the Phantom 3 Professional to V1.6 on the aircraft, battery, and camera and updated that remote control to V1.5 as requested on the DJI GO App. After updating all components I powered on the drone and remote and plugged in my mobile device, however I received no video through the app. I then restarted the app and did a reboot of the system, however I still did not receive any video. I then deleted and re-installed the application on my mobile device and restarted the unit and video still did not pull through. I then took the unit to a local dealer, Innovative UAS, who tried the firmware again and ran into the same problem. We also swapped cameras and the new camera we put on worked, however I do not want to buy a new camera as this is a new unit that I have not crashed. Please let me know what we can do to resolve this issue. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl