Came Home for the first time!

Reaction score
So I plugged the Phantom in to the computer for the first time ever last night (I was trying to avoid doing that), and it seemed to go just fine (but I didn't really know what I was doing, so I wouldn't swear that it worked fine). I was a little apprehensive about how it would work today on its first flight of firmware 3.06.

It took a long time for the app (FPV) to connect but it finally connected after I got about 60 ' into the air. I took off without it since it recorded a home position and I could see that I had control of the camera (pitched up and down fine in close quarters where I could see it moving). I started the video too even though I couldn't see the video.

I was feeling adventurous so I flew it up to about 1000' about 500' away from me. Of course I couldn't see it directly but I could now see what it could see, but unfortunately I couldn't tell exactly where it was from its view (didn't think to look at the radar). Anyway it started losing the control signal and I suspect that the iPad mini was blocking the control signal because it turned out to be over my shoulder behind me! I moved around a little bit to see if I could get the control signal to connect, but apparently I wasn't fast enough because it finally decided to come home. This was the first time I have ever had it do that (I never tested that function when it was first new). But it worked like a charm and Once I saw it (some time after I could hear it) returning I was able to set S1 and regain control and then flew it in for a hand catch.

I was very pleased and reassured that it came home. I really didn't expect it to, I would have given it no better than a 50:50 chance of coming home.

DJI00104a3_zps67ce5379.jpg

Cool. I think its a good idea to test all that stuff in a controlled environment do you know what to expect when its not!

I have been trying to test everything including running the battery dead.

I lost signal today for the first time while flying over the Intracoastal Waterway this morning. My heart skipped a few beats but RTH kicked in and everything worked fine. Once it closed in on my position I took control again and continued my flight.

I make it a habit to ALWAYS set RTH when I first take off. If needed I reset the home point during flight if I move my location significantly or if there are tall objects between my position and the aircraft.

On a similar topic, anyone that flies this aircraft should bypass the default Phantom mode and immediately fly with NAZA-M. You can still fly the GPS mode, but options like Home Lock can be a lifesaver if you get into trouble or lose sight or orientation of the aircraft.

Slothead, congrats on your recovery. But don't think for a second it will turn out like that every time. I recommend you only fly in GPS mode until you learn the characteristics of the lost connections and signal. This goes for observing the connection display area as well. Know that you always receive the best connection from the rear of the quad, and piss poor connection from the front.

If you are in GPS mode and lose connection, the quad will sit in that location (unless you have 20+mph winds). It's the FailSafe mode that will always get you into trouble. Just always remember this.....In FailSafe mode your quad will drift like a Balloon. You may have no wind where you're at, but if flying at higher levels there "might" be wind stream currents that can play tricks on you. Your best way to know is to tilt the camera at 90 degrees straight down.

Depending on the wind conditions, I fly a number of times a day above 3k feet. I have bought 3 quad's this year and lost 2 on the way to the knowledge I learned along the way. My two biggest mistakes were, I did not read the manual before hand, and I took those "connections" for granted. And I have since learned how a GPS Tracker gives you a great piece of mind while flying.

Btw, koz is right. NAZA is the best option. This is as long as you set it up correctly, and calibrate the transmitter.

I tested RTH a few times by turning off the RC when I first got my Bird. I've also tested it in Naza mode a few times as well. Twice I've lost connection while flying, once due to trees and distance, another due to trees and a house. Both times it worked great but your heart is certainly in your mouth.

flyNfrank said:
Slothead, congrats on your recovery. But don't think for a second it will turn out like that every time. I recommend you only fly in GPS mode until you learn the characteristics of the lost connections and signal. This goes for observing the connection display area as well. Know that you always receive the best connection from the rear of the quad, and piss poor connection from the front.

If you are in GPS mode and lose connection, the quad will sit in that location (unless you have 20+mph winds). It's the FailSafe mode that will always get you into trouble. Just always remember this.....In FailSafe mode your quad will drift like a Balloon. You may have no wind where you're at, but if flying at higher levels there "might" be wind stream currents that can play tricks on you. Your best way to know is to tilt the camera at 90 degrees straight down.

Depending on the wind conditions, I fly a number of times a day above 3k feet. I have bought 3 quad's this year and lost 2 on the way to the knowledge I learned along the way. My two biggest mistakes were, I did not read the manual before hand, and I took those "connections" for granted. And I have since learned how a GPS Tracker gives you a great piece of mind while flying.

Btw, koz is right. NAZA is the best option. This is as long as you set it up correctly, and calibrate the transmitter.

Can't say I noticed it drifting in RTH. I lost connection once on a windy day and I'm sure it came straight back.
Might test it later while I'm flying.
Not that I don't believe you as it sounds you're more experienced than me.

Is there something wrong with RTH that I don't know about? I flip on failsafe/RTH just about every flight, sometimes multiple times per flight. I've never had any trouble. What am I missing with everyone saying they freak out every time, as though it is a feature that fails frequently. When I take off, I usually go up about 100 feet and then reset my home position, so that on RTH, my bird will go up to 160 feet. It flies home just as if it was in GPS mode and you are pushing on the stick, compensating for wind as needed.

sidebox said:
Is there something wrong with RTH that I don't know about? I flip on failsafe/RTH just about every flight, sometimes multiple times per flight. I've never had any trouble. What am I missing with everyone saying they freak out every time, as though it is a feature that fails frequently. When I take off, I usually go up about 100 feet and then reset my home position, so that on RTH, my bird will go up to 160 feet. It flies home just as if it was in GPS mode and you are pushing on the stick, compensating for wind as needed.
Exactly. What he said... I've always assumed failsafe mode was flying via gps since it's flying to your recorded home point. Why would it drift like a ballon?

I guess I've always believed it's called failsafe for a reason and should only be used as a last resort, the fear of not being able to gain control, relying totally on GPS and properly set home position, plus the fact that if it initiates you've lost control of your bird.

I tried it again today and didn't notice any drifting.

Well guys, I have a lot to learn, but it's fun learning and your inputs are a great part of it. I notice that some folks have different opinions about certain modes, but I need to learn more about these modes before I form a final opinion of my own.

Thanks all,

sidebox said:
You are absolutely right and in many ways it is akin to pressing the home page symbol on the computer and the screen returning to the home page. Nobody is amazed that it goes back to the screen but it is just as it should be. Similarly on the Phantom the same computer tecnology is involved which merely gives the instruction to return to where it came once RTH is involved. However on my first use of RTH ( i had driven away from where I took off thinking the Phantom was lost) when I drove back some minutes later with absolutely no expectaions to find my Phantom sitting there in exactly the same place as where it took of from I must adnit I was in awe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic