California's First Arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's going to take more then a drone(phantom) to take out a plane like they use.

a bird like the ones around airports alone won't do it, and some of those birds weigh 4-5lbs.

It's just silly as heck to arrest someone simply for flying over a fire like that, I'd do it in a heartbeat, unless I knew for sure I was somehow hindering a life saving agency, I wouldn't stop.

If I was flying around my area and saw a house on fire I'd fly over there and film it, if I saw a shootout going on, I'd do the same thing.

I guess I don't understand . these people are there trying to save lives and property. A fire doesn't happen all the time. Why is it so important that someone, anyone needs to see the fire from above? Do people not understand those pilots are our friends try to save your life and property? It doesn't matter if a Phantom would take out a plane or kill a bug. What matters is there is a chance, small but still a chance a droid could inter fear with their efforts. Why can't people see that?

Mikie

I guess I don't understand . these people are there trying to save lives and property. A fire doesn't happen all the time. Why is it so important that someone, anyone needs to see the fire from above? Do people not understand those pilots are our friends try to save your life and property? It doesn't matter if a Phantom would take out a plane or kill a bug. What matters is there is a chance, small but still a chance a droid could inter fear with their efforts. Why can't people see that?

Mikie

NAILED it! Well said Mikie.

Reactions: pomonabill220

Mikie

once again, If I saw a house fire, a shooting with cops, a forest fire, I wouldn't think twice I'd be over head trying to film it.

If a fireman came over and told me "we need to fly our fireplane over the fire, could you please move your drone" I'd move it right away.

But to expect people to know this? then arrest them for it, yea thats insane.

Yes sir expect them to know this. If you're going to play with the adults you need to be aware and KNOW what you're doing. Ignorance of the law is not a defense that will hold up in court.

If you registered your aircraft with the FAA you signed an agreement that might have actually mentioned some of these "need to know" facts.

Yes sir expect them to know this. If you're going to play with the adults you need to be aware and KNOW what you're doing. Ignorance of the law is not a defense that will hold up in court.

If you registered your aircraft with the FAA you signed an agreement that might have actually mentioned some of these "need to know" facts.

so where does it say I'm not allow to fly over a "commotion" where does it say I'm not allowed to do that?

You cannot stop people from filming but now all of a sudden if I see a crime in progress, I cannot film them? That's what you're saying

as for the fire, same situation, if my neighbors house is on fire, show me where it says I cannot film it, fly near it.

If a fireman came over and told me "we need to fly our fireplane over the fire, could you please move your drone" I'd move it right away.
The number 1 thing that first responders require is that onlookers stay out of the way! They are risking their lives and you are mucking up the scene. And you would probably get your feelings hurt when they order you to ground your toy.

once again, If I saw a house fire, a shooting with cops, a forest fire, I wouldn't think twice I'd be over head trying to film it.

Yes - they should be expected to be aware when a TFR is in place. If they are unaware or, possibly, judging from the ignorance on display in your posts, don't even know what a TFR is, then they have no business putting up an aircraft of any kind, and I would hope that the full force of law lands on them.

so where does it say I'm not allow to fly over a "commotion" where does it say I'm not allowed to do that?

You cannot stop people from filming but now all of a sudden if I see a crime in progress, I cannot film them? That's what you're saying

as for the fire, same situation, if my neighbors house is on fire, show me where it says I cannot film it, fly near it.

Are you registered?

This is what you agreed to:
Safety Guidelines
  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

I don't think anyone planned on coming down to ground level to film a paramedic performing CPR at a distance of 1 feet.

Stay with a realistic scenario, someone would be 100's of feet up, way out of the way.

Yes - they should be expected to be aware when a TFR is in place. If they are unaware or, possibly, judging from the ignorance on display in your posts, don't even know what a TFR is, then they have no business putting up an aircraft of any kind, and I would hope that the full force of law lands on them.

lol I will betcha there are zero TFR area's when a there is a crime going on and cops are around

You are not allowed (violation of law) to fly in a TFR without authorization. What part of that simple statement do you not understand?

FAA guidelines, that you must adhere to to be able to fly under the model aircraft designation, require that you do not fly near any emergency response efforts. What part of that do you not understand?

lol I will betcha there are zero TFR area's when a there is a crime going on and cops are around

Keep reading. And this discussion was about a forest fire, into which you waded with your assertions that you would fly over, and for which a TFR was undoubtedly in place.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The guy is Trolling.

Stop feeding him.

Sadly he seems to be in 'my neck of the woods'.

First of all the TOPIC is basically "first arrest of a drone over a forest fire"... do you agree to that? A forest fire is a no fly area called TFR. I don't care what commotion you see, want to video, what your reasoning is you are not allowed to fly UNLESS you are part of the active and credentialed group. Anything else is ILLEGAL!

Secondly it does say do not fly OVER unprotected people/vehicles.

Keep in mind that IF you capture video of a crime in progress in most (if not all) states it can NOT be used in court because it was not obtained legally with a warrant. Like it or not crooks have rights and we can't infringe upon them either.

Just because you have a toy drone does not make you, me, or any of us Law Enforcement, EMS, Firefighter, News Reporter or anything like that. More often than not if we show up to a scene uninvited we will become a part of the problem as opposed to being if any help what so ever. It's really common sense and being respectful more than anything else.

Keep reading. And this discussion was about a forest fire, into which you waded with your assertions that you would fly over, and for which a TFR was undoubtedly in place.

Was it? I don't know about the fire the dude got arrested at but again, sounds silly to me.
It's typical big Gov. trying to smother everything, with these restrictions in place when it wasn't an issue now and it wasn't before.
and it will continue to get worse and worse, next step will be no flying near or around a beach, then eventually cannot fly near any residential areas, finally dedicated to only airports with expensive permits lol

[QUOTE="BigAl07, post: 883199, member: 20335"
Keep in mind that IF you capture video of a crime in progress in most (if not all) states it can NOT be used in court because it was not obtained legally with a warrant. Like it or not crooks have rights and we can't infringe upon them either.
[/QUOTE]

LMFAO!! omg, that's it, I'm out.

Who in the world is talking about trying to be officer duffy, lol

Was it? I don't know about the fire the dude got arrested at but again, sounds silly to me.
It's typical big Gov. trying to smother everything, with these restrictions in place when it wasn't an issue now and it wasn't before.
and it will continue to get worse and worse, next step will be no flying near or around a beach, then eventually cannot fly near any residential areas, finally dedicated to only airports with expensive permits lol

You my friend are completely clueless on this whole thing. This isn't Big Gov trying to bully you. This is about SAVING LIVES and PROPERTY! Be smart and have some respect for those who are sacrificing THEIR life to help save others. It's really that simple.

Your selfish and ignorant attitude will certainly hasten the arrival of those kinds of regulations, and everyone will suffer as a result.

You my friend are completely clueless on this whole thing. This isn't Big Gov trying to bully you. This is about SAVING LIVES and PROPERTY! Be smart and have some respect for those who are sacrificing THEIR life to help save others. It's really that simple.

well I hope the next time you fly over an unprotected vehicle or person you get cuffs put on you, no warning or anything, but you knew better.

Sorry to say it like that but that's the hard facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl