California's First Arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were already fighting a fire then they almost certainly had a TFR in place, in which case there is no room or need for interpretation about anything. All flights (drones or manned aircraft) not explicitly cleared by ATC to enter the TFR are forbidden by law. Anyone who doesn't check for TFRs before flying should not be flying at all.

I'm sure if they ever get around to mailing citations in the mail. Who's to say you ever got it. Unless it is sent certified mail. I for one never sign for mail unless I know the recipient. FYI I won't have a problem because I read that know before you fly and obey by the rules. I want to keep my 107 when I get it. Flying for profit makes more sense than flying for fun & being reckless.

Sent from my LG-H810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

My point exactly and either you never registered your drone. Or, you registered and never read the safety notice you agreed to.
Why do I need to registered my drone ? Who would know ? Just a piece of paper no biggy...

What is wrong is that if a drone is seen in the area, the fire fighting planes are grounded until the drone is no longer in the area. So, the fire spreads more. That is why the Utah law gives fire fighters, police, etc. authority to bring a drone down.

Jim
Come on.... It's not a Boeing 747. They could easily shoot down the drone with their water hose.....

Reactions: maxwell smart
This is it. What are they hiding?? Probably don't want you seeing who really set the fire.
Those planes an copters fly at tree top level. These pilots put there life on the line each time they go up. They are there to protect life, animals and property. Why would you want to tip their odds of life in a minus just because you want to see something?

Reactions: pomonabill220
Those planes an copters fly at tree top level. These pilots put there life on the line each time they go up. They are there to protect life, animals and property. Why would you want to tip their odds of life in a minus just because you want to see something?
Not saying I would fly in a fire. But a drone like a Phantom is no risk. The aircraft that fly in to the fire to fight it are in no danger, of a phantom. And yes I was a Jet mechanic in the military,and I worked on prop jobs to. I have seen them swallow Gees and ducks with out a hiccup. If peoples life are at stake then they need to get in the air and not worry about a drone that will probably never be in there way.

I am sure most of you guys heard of them famous stop light camera's. You know, the ones that send you a ticket in the mail for running a stop light?

When I first read about the permission in the DJI software that ask the pilot in command if you have permission to fly in certain areas, I could see the software kicking out a flag to the FCC to see if permission was actually granted from local authority to fly. Such as from a Notam or control tower, etc. In this way the FCC would not have to spend a lot of time looking for violations, violations would come to them, via the software. Thus helping them fund this dept. Considering the majority of the big money goes to the commercial airliner industry. Then they could easily check your flight data from DJI to see if you violated controlled airspace at anytime during that flight.

I can just see them sending us a letter of violation, with a picture of the flight data at the moment of the violation. Where to send your check, etc. Just like the stop light.

Does this sound too far fetched?

I think DJI and other manufacturers of droids need to put a radar chip in their product to send a signal out so planes etc know they are around. In the last 3 months I have talked to 3 controllers at local airport and they said people are flying their droids in their flight path. Why make it worse for everyone else. Why take a chance, any chance of hurting someone?

Not saying I would fly in a fire. But a drone like a Phantom is no risk. The aircraft that fly in to the fire to fight it are in no danger, of a phantom. And yes I was a Jet mechanic in the military,and I worked on prop jobs to. I have seen them swallow Gees and ducks with out a hiccup. If peoples life are at stake then they need to get in the air and not worry about a drone that will probably never be in there way.

I also know that about planes. I was a jet Mac and a gas passer for the 940th at Mather. I also have a friend who is commander of Navy Blue Angles. But why take a chance, a small one of harming someone who is trying to save lives and property.

YOU FLY, THEY DONT!

Reactions: pomonabill220
I also know that about planes. I was a jet Mac and a gas passer for the 940th at Mather. I also have a friend who is commander of Navy Blue Angles. But why take a chance, a small one of harming someone who is trying to save lives and property.

YOU FLY, THEY DONT!
Take it easy Mr. Spock.......

I am sure most of you guys heard of them famous stop light camera's. You know, the ones that send you a ticket in the mail for running a stop light?

When I first read about the permission in the DJI software that ask the pilot in command if you have permission to fly in certain areas, I could see the software kicking out a flag to the FCC to see if permission was actually granted from local authority to fly. Such as from a Notam or control tower, etc. In this way the FCC would not have to spend a lot of time looking for violations, violations would come to them, via the software. Thus helping them fund this dept. Considering the majority of the big money goes to the commercial airliner industry. Then they could easily check your flight data from DJI to see if you violated controlled airspace at anytime during that flight.

I can just see them sending us a letter of violation, with a picture of the flight data at the moment of the violation. Where to send your check, etc. Just like the stop light.

Shucks man! Now I'm going to be expecting a ticket in the mail! I live right next to small airport,agreed to the permission a couple days ago and of course I lied saying I had permission.I just wanted to fly in my front yard to check out a couple tablets I had just received to see which one to keep and which to sell:(:eek::mad::)
Didnt fly over 15 to 20ft,can they tell how high you flew it or just that you flew it in the NFZ?

This thread has spiraled into the pits and in a hurry.

Those of you who "insist" that our UAS pose no threats to manned aircraft are either living in fantasy world or living with your heads in the sand. Just because a jet engine can survive a goose passing through it in no way is comparable to a LiPo battery pack UNTIL it has been tested and clinically proven as such. The light hollow bones in a bird (even a large goose) do not have the density or rigidity of the LiPo battery pack. The rest of our UAS would most likely post no significant problems (I'm guessing here) but the battery could very well pose a real problem even more so when the aircraft is operating on the edge of it's performance capabilities.

Also what if it merely disables a tail rotor of a helicopter directly over the forest fire? What if it merely goes through the windscreen of a small Cessna spotter plane directly over the forest fire harming the pilot incapacitating them?

Please keep in mind that these fire fighting operations are happening at MAX capacity, horrible flight conditions, high stress, low-n-slow, and the aircraft is performing at it's limits. The very LAST thing they need is to even be thinking about anything but their mission let alone what happens should an incident take place between UAS and manned aircraft.

If there is a forest fire our hobby/recreational UAS have no business being anywhere near the area. If you're working with the fire fighting organization you'll be a PART of the coordination and pose no threat to other aircraft in the area. Anything else is 100% unacceptable.

I bet it's getting close for California that DJI helps the state officials to put their setup into play that uploads each pilots flight data live to an accessible cloud for use with apprehending violator's.
I could see the software kicking out a flag to the FCC to see if permission was actually granted from local authority to fly. Such as from a Notam or control tower, etc. In this way the FCC would not have to spend a lot of time looking for violations, violations would come to them, via the software. Thus helping them fund this dept. Considering the majority of the big money goes to the commercial airliner industry. Then they could easily check your flight data from DJI to see if you violated controlled airspace at anytime during that flight.

Yes ... it's too far fetched.
DJI aren't interested in being the policemen of the air.
The disclaimers and conditions in the fine print when you download the Go app make that clear.
If you want to fly recklessly, that''s on your head.
It's a lot like Ford and GM. They don't care if you speed on the highway, that's up to you.

And besides ... DJI have no idea where and when you fly unless you feel the need to upload your flight details to their cloud and share the information with them.

They only have to watch the internet and put those that don't follow the rules out of business. I do. I have dobbed many in. Its a hobby of mine. If I see any commercial work being done and suspect unlicensed operators, I send them an email asking if they are licensed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl