California State Parks

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience flying in California? As far as I can tell drones are allowed in state parks (barring local posted rules), but if I'm operating commercially apparently I need some ridiculous permit from the California Film Commission, and airworthiness certificate (wtf is that?), and 2 million dollars in insurance coverage. I'm sure this is aimed mostly at Hollywood, but am I violating rules if I sell prints of photos I take in Cali without the Film commision permit?

Film commision info: Filming with Drones | California Film Commission

Lived and worked in Ca. my whole career. When I retired I got the hell out.

Yes. It's true. Not sure what the "airworthiness" thing is though. Never heard of that. Also be careful about which state parks you fly in. I don't think they all got around to updating their website with the newest state/county/city laws or restrictions. I drove 45 minutes to a sight, that online, says drones are ok, only to arrive and on the front window of the park rangers booth was a generically typed/printed sheet of paper stating UAS use is prohibited as per bla bla bla.

State parks website on filming:

California State Parks` Filming Policy
https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/782/files/film.pdf

I'm starting to agree with AMP+V...

If you are flying and filming just for fun at the time, would you be in violation? What if, several weeks or months later you decide you want to sell the photos and video?

What the State Park is going to be looking at is obvious signs you are a commercial shoot. So if you have hundreds of extras standing around, dressing trailers, filming cranes and the like, you are probably going to be called out.

The posting at the park I went to prohibited ANY photos or filming with a UAS. They didn't care commercial or recreational.

It was Chino Hills State Park by the way. Very beautiful place if you get to film it.

[QUOTELived and worked in Ca. my whole career. When I retired I got the hell out.[/QUOTE]

Ha - you aren't the only one ! I vowed once the first time my average speed going to court on the Hollywood Freeway ( 101 from the Toluca Lake area to the Civic Center ) we were OUT OF THERE !

House went on the market - bought a ranch here in northern Arizona with its own airstrip (AZ 27).

The airport manager lets my fly my drone ( Phantom 3 "standard" whenever I want )..... ( cause I am the airport manager...!)

Reactions: Falcon900
I just got back from my trip. I did fly in a park on the lost coast. It was empty, maybe one other hiker around. I think if it's a busy park there would be an issue, but where I was there was no one around to complain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers