California SB 142 - if it passes, what will you do?

Its impossible to get from point a to point b without flying over whats in the middle

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hey at least you can use that 50ft band to fly out. You might just have to live like we do in the UK and travel to a park or something if you want to fly :)

Even then, byelaws here often prohibit you from flying in public parks.

The best places to fly IMO are far away from people anyway. Get some nice shots of landscapes and such, and you won't have anyone around to complain.

The problem is this mentality that people complaining matters. No matter what anyone does, there will always be someone to complain. Learning that its best to not empower them by giving them an ear to complain to is the key!

Hey at least you can use that 50ft band to fly out. You might just have to live like we do in the UK and travel to a park or something if you want to fly :)

Even then, byelaws here often prohibit you from flying in public parks.

The best places to fly IMO are far away from people anyway. Get some nice shots of landscapes and such, and you won't have anyone around to complain.
Flying off your backyard and over people's houses baffles me. Why? ARE dirty backyards that visually appealing?

Liberty is what matters here. You have a right to it until you let it go.
Exactly the response that creates stupid laws, my friend.
PS- you do not have the right to ruin my backyard picnic with your annoying buzzing drone.OR worse, dropping it on my grandkid's head.

Reactions: Man.Of.Kent
Exactly the response that creates stupid laws, my friend.
PS- you do not have the right to ruin my backyard picnic with your annoying buzzing drone.

Laws are what take your liberties away. I do have the right to fly above your home as there is no federal law to prevent it. You also have the right to fly above mine. I mention federal law as federal law is what governs the air space here. No other laws can trump it ultimately.

I think @III% Streve was being sarcastic.

Flying off your backyard and over people's houses baffles me. Why? ARE dirty backyards that visually appealing?
Because it convenient. If I only have a small window to fly, I'm flying from my backyard. Neighbors backyards are not appealing to me, its more about stick time and testing camera settings.

Actually, its the exact opposite. The second people see that the masses respond to crying and complaining, that crying and complaining gets exaggerated. Then suddenly something that is totally meaningless gets national news, further blowing it out of proportion. You can look at ANY law that has been enacted in the past 5 years. They all exist because someone made an insignificant nothing into ground breaking news!

Reactions: Youngbill
Laws are what take your liberties away. I do have the right to fly above your home as there is no federal law to prevent it. You also have the right to fly above mine. I mention federal law as federal law is what governs the air space here. No other laws can trump it ultimately.

A little sarcastic, but at the end of the day, its the only truth thats important. I dont EVER have to justify my actions to anyone! If I choose to fly my P3 20 times a day out of my back yard then thats my choice. If I choose to drive to the lake to fly, then thats my choice too. Who is anyone else to question me?

Reactions: Youngbill

And all the pissing and moaning isn't going to change anything. You don't have the right to harass me with your toy. Common sense and common courtesy has been lost in this whole my rights-your rights "drone" business. And now California flyers went and messed it up for all quad flyers in that wonderful state. Whose fault is that? Knee jerk laws are usually a response to stupid behavior.

A little sarcastic, but at the end of the day, its the only truth thats important. I dont EVER have to justify my actions to anyone! If I choose to fly my P3 20 times a day out of my back yard then thats my choice. If I choose to drive to the lake to fly, then thats my choice too. Who is anyone else to question me?
EXACTLY THE TYPE OF PERSON THE LAW WAS WRITTEN FOR.

And all the pissing and moaning isn't going to change anything. You don't have the right to harass me with your toy. Common sense and common courtesy has been lost in this whole my rights-your rights "drone" business. And now California flyers went and messed it up for all quad flyers in that wonderful state. Whose fault is that? Knee jerk laws are usually a response to stupid behavior.

Harassing will need to be defined, but if we just go with common courtesy I agree with you. I think hovering a drone over someone's backyard is annoying to say the least, but the reality is that there is no law that can trump federal law. Feelings do not count.

If California passes this law it will be tested in court and most likely shot down (pun intended). When outside or in public, you have no right to privacy. Of course this saying was created to support the government's surveillance programs, but it applies to the public as well. Can't have it one way.

And THAT is where you are totally missing it. That artificial, magically conjured feeling of harassment. In reality.. it doesn't exist! Just because something is in the air doesn't suddenly mean that that something exist to bother YOU. In reality, it, and its pilot, couldn't care less about YOU. And that artificial feeling of be harassed is given a voice because someone else just assumes you are right in your feelings.

When I fly at the local lake... I obviously fly over boats, and people swimming. Inevitable, there will be some moron that has in set in their head that I'm flying specifically to look at them, or their sun bathing wife, or whatever. In reality, first off, I cant even see them. And second, I am, in reality, there testing beta software. That person has the right to complain! But the response should be to educate and move them along. NOT add to their artificial fear and offer a legal avenue to sue.

Reactions: unclejas
Harassing will need to be defined, but if we just go with common courtesy I agree with you. I think hovering a drone over someone's backyard is annoying to say the least, but the reality is that there is no law that can trump federal law. Feelings do not count.

If California passes this law it will be tested in court and most likely shot down (pun intended). When outside or in public, you have no right to privacy. Of course this saying was created to support the government's surveillance programs, but it applies to the public as well. Can't have it one way.
When outside or in public, you have no right to privacy... correct.
In my backyard with a 6 foot fence? incorrect. But once again you are hung up on the law and "your rights" rather than common courtesy...and that is what's turning public opinion against UAVs.

And THAT is where you are totally missing it. That artificial, magically conjured feeling of harassment. In reality.. it doesn't exist! Just because something is in the air doesn't suddenly mean that that something exist to bother YOU. In reality, it, and its pilot, couldn't care less about YOU. And that artificial feeling of be harassed is given a voice because someone else just assumes you are right in your feelings.

When I fly at the local lake... I obviously fly over boats, and people swimming. Inevitable, there will be some moron that has in set in their head that I'm flying specifically to look at them, or their sun bathing wife, or whatever. In reality, first off, I cant even see them. And second, I am, in reality, there testing beta software. That person has the right to complain! But the response should be to educate and move them along. NOT add to their artificial fear and offer a legal avenue to sue.
Couldn't be more wrong. The term "harassment" is codified in hundreds of laws.
PS- please give me your address and the date of your next backyard party. I'm sure buzzing your guests and kids with my quad will be welcome.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr