california, no flight zones or banned?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

might seem like a stupid question but I am from the UK and have pretty much flown my phantom everywhere i wanted safely and without anyone ever asking anything or complaining and only asking curious questions, now I am going to america for the first time next week and am considering bringing the phantom.

I heard recently that all the national parks in america had banned 'drones', i will largely be staying in california area and then moving onto nevada for a few days. Is there any rural open areas that are ok for flying? i am pretty scared of american airports already and customs and am worried they will ask me where i intend on flying the thing when i carry it in my suitcase from the uk to america, actually made me so paranoid I am considering leaving it at home but think there will be so many good chances to fly out there.

Any info appreciated on american customs/airports or fly/no fly zones.

thanks

If you were coming to Texas I would say "Bring It!" You are correct that Drones are banned in National Parks but there are a lot of other things to film and photograph. California is a beautiful state and I am sure there will be some representatives of that state that will chime in and provide you some advice on bringing your Phantom on your trip.

Just stay away from airports (about 5 miles away), if you see an airplane pass by you then it's probably not a good place to fly.

Just plan/think ahead and use common sense. Do pre-flight checks. And if you think it's a bad idea, it probably is.

Technically Phantoms aren't on the banned list in customs, so you have the right to bring it with you. If DJI can import Phantoms into the US, it's the same thing. If you're checking it in, make sure you have ALL the batteries with you as a carry-on though.

There's a no-fly zone map found here: https://a.tiles.mapbox.com/v3/mslee.ja5lv7vi/page.html But IMO might not be accurate.

DJI has it's list of no fly zones here: http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

There's plenty of drone flyers in California and Nevada. Stay away from national parks and use common sense with your flying and you'll be fine.

There's few real laws against drones. Even the guy flying his drone over the LA police station spying on police activity in the parking lot they couldn't arrest simply because there's no laws. I wouldn't recommend that however.

I'm sure you will have a great trip with your quad. :)

Also if you're checking you Phantom & case as luggage (not carry on) make sure to open release valve on case so barometric pressure doesn't crush it.

thanks for the info guys, yeah im pretty sensible with airports, police stations etc, would not do anything stupid, have never crashed yet anyway with 25-30 flights ;-)

nice videos Andy California looks amazing, mainly gonna be in LA, San fransisco, and Mojave and driving a lot so im sure i will find some spots to go for flights.

I have no case so will just take it apart and put it in the suitcase, i assume that I will be ok taking the batteries into my hold and not cabin luggage as this is how i brought it in the past in europe and the uk on flights, hopefully american flights will be no different as i have several batteries :)

EMCSQUAR said:
Also if you're checking you Phantom & case as luggage (not carry on) make sure to open release valve on case so barometric pressure doesn't crush it.

The baggage holds on modern aircraft are pressurised. No "crushing" will occur :).

chaghal said:
I have no case so will just take it apart and put it in the suitcase, i assume that I will be ok taking the batteries into my hold and not cabin luggage as this is how i brought it in the past in europe and the uk on flights, hopefully american flights will be no different as i have several batteries :)

You need to look at the information on your airline's website. Many prohibit carrying lithium batteries in checked luggage. British Airways, for example, allow the battery that is in a device to be in checked luggage, but spare batteries have to be in your carry-on.

thanks harry, have flown it all over uk and taken it to ireland on the plane and had no probs whatsoever but im **** scared of going to america for some reason. Will check with the airline and take spare batteries as carry on

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj