Calibration

Reaction score
Do you have to calibrate the phantom 2 before every flight? or will it know where it took off from when you power it up

If by calibrate you mean the advance or the basic calibration a.k.a. the compass dance then no.
Just do it when you fly from a different location than the last one, when you modify the P2, and when you upgrade firmware.

If by calibrate you mean record the forward direction and the home point before every flight then you must do it every time you fly.
If you don't, you risk a crash or a flyaway.

Also please check the manual, page 30 and 31...

I've seen the advice about doing a Compass Calibration "when you fly from a different location" several times. I calibrate every time I fly, and I'm sure that IS overkill, but I wonder what qualifies as a "different location"? Would that mean a hundred yards or a hundred miles?? OR..??? I think the Compass Calibration is a separate issue from setting the home point, but are they in anyway related directly?

Topeeka said:
I've seen the advice about doing a Compass Calibration "when you fly from a different location" several times. I calibrate every time I fly, and I'm sure that IS overkill, but I wonder what qualifies as a "different location"? Would that mean a hundred yards or a hundred miles?? OR..??? I think the Compass Calibration is a separate issue from setting the home point, but are they in anyway related directly?

Compass Calibration is related to magnetic declination so "fly from a different location" means many miles not yards.
Calibration before every flight is overkill. What can happen if one of those times calibration is not correctly done?
There are many threads on these forums about this subject. You should read them, read the DJI site and wiki, and then form your own opinion.

Well, I have read many of the threads on here, I have seen ALL of the DJI tutorials and guides and have also read WiKi...so it's not like I have not done my homework....that is why I asked if anyone had any specific info on this subject. At this point, the opinion I have formed....and since I have never had a single bobble, crash, close call, invalid battery, etc....is that what I am doing, while you...and I both...feel that it might be 'overkill'...still...since I have been totally pleased with the performance of my P2V....my tendency is to keep on doing exactly what has worked for me...

My flying locations have varied over about 100 miles....and the Calibration has gone the same at all the locations so far... Soon I will be flying my P2V about 250 miles away....IF I would decide that "Once is enough" when it comes to Calibration, would NOT doing it after a displacement of that distance make any difference in how stable it might be or how the RTH might work??

I would appreciate any input on this subject...

As the saying goes,

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

You're having success with what you're doing. Keep doing it. Who cares if it's 'overkill' to compass dance every time. It takes, what, 7 or 8 seconds each time you connect the battery? Upside reward vs. downside risk. Save 7 seconds vs maybe have an erratic flight or worse a fly-away.

As another saying goes,

"Better safe than sorry."

Just my $.02.

Personally, I've done more than 2 dozens flights since my last (and initial) compass calibration without recalibrating... but I take a minute to check the Phantom's response and ability to maintain position in air in close range, before flying it further away.

If it drifts somehow, I'll take it down. If it can't maintain direction, I'll take it down. If the satellite count doesn't keep increasing from the 7 (usually I get 10+), then I'll wait and watch a bit more...

I think this matters more than recalibrating on every flight; because.. how do you know that your recalibration is valid and you're not doing it above a gigantic metal\magnet structure buried underneath? hehe

LeoS said:
I think this matters more than recalibrating on every flight; because.. how do you know that your recalibration is valid and you're not doing it above a gigantic metal\magnet structure buried underneath? hehe

This is the way I do it as well. Works good for me. After take off I move it in the four compass directions. If it doesn't move straight I calibrate. I would do a calibration first if I was at a new location far away from my usual flying area, were the magnetic lines of force may be different.

Magnetic lines of force are closest to each other as you approach the poles of the earth, and further apart at the equator. So if you move far enough to were these lines separate from each other then you definitely would need to calibrate, since the quads idea of North was based on the strength of the lines at your old location.

This might actually be super critical if using an app that does the flying with waypoints. Needs to be very precise with direction. But if you are flying manually you would probably compensate for small variances without even thinking about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Found this site: http://magnetic-declination.com/
It's worth a look.

LeoS said:
Personally, I've done more than 2 dozens flights since my last (and initial) compass calibration without recalibrating... but I take a minute to check the Phantom's response and ability to maintain position in air in close range, before flying it further away.
I do the same and totally agree.

TheMattSanner said:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
You're having success with what you're doing. Keep doing it. Who cares if it's 'overkill' to compass dance every time. It takes, what, 7 or 8 seconds each time you connect the battery? Upside reward vs. downside risk. Save 7 seconds vs maybe have an erratic flight or worse a fly-away.
"Better safe than sorry."
My exact thoughts.

So, almost every time I go to fly my PV2 I do NOT get the green blinking lights, so I take that as an indication that I MUST calibrate. Problem is that every time I go to calibrate it takes at least 3-5 times for it to be successful. I've emailed DJI support (two times now) without any response whatsoever.

So my two questions are - when you guys decide not to calibrate each time, are you getting the green flashing lights just after you turn it on, or are you flying with yellow flashing lights?

And, anyone have any idea why it takes multiple tries to calibrate my PV2?

Thanks.

loleneast said:
So, almost every time I go to fly my PV2 I do NOT get the green blinking lights, so I take that as an indication that I MUST calibrate. Problem is that every time I go to calibrate it takes at least 3-5 times for it to be successful. I've emailed DJI support (two times now) without any response whatsoever.

So my two questions are - when you guys decide not to calibrate each time, are you getting the green flashing lights just after you turn it on, or are you flying with yellow flashing lights?

And, anyone have any idea why it takes multiple tries to calibrate my PV2?

Thanks.

Do you have clear view of the sky when you're waiting for gps signal?
How many satellite locks does the DJI Vision app show after a minute of waiting?

I almost always wait for 7+ satellite locks (led blinks green, recording home point) before flying away, except in places where I know I won't get good satellite coverage. There was a time I flew the phantom in an alley-like place (very narrow view of the sky) so I just flew it straight up just a tad higher than the walls and wait for the green flashes (7+ sat lock, home point recorded) before starting my flight.

clear sky yes. Not around any large trees or buildings. I'll have to try again and look at how many satellites it sees, but I wasn't thinking the satellites had anything to do with the compass. GPS, yes, but the compass is looking for magnetic north, right? Maybe I'm mistaken.

I'll let you know though. Thanks for the input!

loleneast said:
clear sky yes. Not around any large trees or buildings. I'll have to try again and look at how many satellites it sees, but I wasn't thinking the satellites had anything to do with the compass. GPS, yes, but the compass is looking for magnetic north, right? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Are you in Phantom Vision or NAZA mode?

In the default Phantom Vision mode, the LED would blink alternately between red and orange when it needs compass recalibration.

When you say you're waiting for green light (vs yellow flashing light), that sounds like waiting for GPS lock to me :)

Topeeka said:

I noticed a reduction in 'straightness' in flight when I shift position by 20km. It takes 30 seconds to calibrate so if you were flighing in a built up area then I'd recalibrate to be safe.

Just remember to check your X1/2 switches if you have activated the IOS function otherwise you'll find the phantom bending tot he left after a hundred of so meters.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj