Reaction score
Hi everyone! I hava some problems with my Phantom 2 H4-3D. I've recently crashed the aircraft with a tree and now I can't calibrate the compass. Always it shows yellow/red light. The compass parameters are OK. The aircraft always shows GPS/Ready to fly green light. There are no errors or warnings when I connect it to the Software PT2. Beforehand, I had this problem when I tried to calibrate the compass with de Zenmuse plugged. so I had to unplugged the gimbal and then I could calibrate normaly. Now, after the crash, I can't nerver calibrate. I don't know why! Could you help me? Thanks!

Hi everyone! I hava some problems with my Phantom 2 H4-3D. I've recently crashed the aircraft with a tree and now I can't calibrate the compass. Always it shows yellow/red light. The compass parameters are OK. The aircraft always shows GPS/Ready to fly green light. There are no errors or warnings when I connect it to the Software PT2. Beforehand, I had this problem when I tried to calibrate the compass with de Zenmuse plugged. so I had to unplugged the gimbal and then I could calibrate normaly. Now, after the crash, I can't nerver calibrate. I don't know why! Could you help me? Thanks!

Have you done an advanced IMU calibration since the crash? That's where you should start first after any crash and do not bother with the check IMU status or basic cal do the advanced cal.

The gimbal has nothing at all to do with compass calibration but if by chance the compass raw reading are off you have get the compass to calibrate. The IMU compass mod should be between 1300 - 1600 and if they more then 1600 the physical compass on the rear landing gear will need to be demagnetized. Here's what a screenshot of a IMU cal.
Tools Tab (IMU Cal).jpg

Take a screenshot of your IMU cal and post it.

Here is a video on how to demagnetize the physical compass.

Have you done an advanced IMU calibration since the crash? That's where you should start first after any crash and do not bother with the check IMU status or basic cal do the advanced cal.

The gimbal has nothing at all to do with compass calibration but if by chance the compass raw reading are off you have get the compass to calibrate. The IMU compass mod should be between 1300 - 1600 and if they more then 1600 the physical compass on the rear landing gear will need to be demagnetized. Here's what a screenshot of a IMU cal.
View attachment 60220
Take a screenshot of your IMU cal and post it.

Here is a video on how to demagnetize the physical compass.

Thanks for replying!! Yes, I had already done the IMU Adv Calibration and the compass calibration fails again! Today I tried to do it again and in the first three attempts it failed and then I could do it well. I don't know why in some attempts the process is OK and in others doesn't. I'm doing it in a huge park, so there are no magnetic objects or something like that. Here it is my IMU cal data...

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2016-07-20 a la(s) 11.53.16 a.m..png
    Captura de pantalla 2016-07-20 a la(s) 11.53.16 a.m..png
    91.6 KB · Views: 582
Thanks for replying!! Yes, I had already done the IMU Adv Calibration and the compass calibration fails again! Today I tried to do it again and in the first three attempts it failed and then I could do it well. I don't know why in some attempts the process is OK and in others doesn't. I'm doing it in a huge park, so there are no magnetic objects or something like that. Here it is my IMU cal data...

That IMU compass MOD reading at 1745 is high and will cause you to have problems calibrating the physical compass on the landing gear. Take another IMU screenshot and post it to confirm that last reading. Do it on a completely level surface. If you read my post carefully I mentioned "The IMU compass mod should be between 1300 - 1600 and if they more then 1600 the physical compass on the rear landing gear will need to be demagnetized." Followed by a video on how to demagnetize the compass. The only thing about the video is to demagnetize as he is doing in the video but instead of holding it as he does put the P2 on the table and run the magnet around the compass as he is doing.. Works much better that way.

If you hover the mouse pointer on the "?" in the bubble in the upper right it will display the normal or acceptable levels for future reference.

That IMU compass MOD reading at 1745 is high and will cause you to have problems calibrating the physical compass on the landing gear. Take another IMU screenshot and post it to confirm that last reading. Do it on a completely level surface. If you read my post carefully I mentioned "The IMU compass mod should be between 1300 - 1600 and if they more then 1600 the physical compass on the rear landing gear will need to be demagnetized." Followed by a video on how to demagnetize the compass. The only thing about the video is to demagnetize as he is doing in the video but instead of holding it as he does put the P2 on the table and run the magnet around the compass as he is doing.. Works much better that way.

Here it is. Beforhand I was in a first floor. Maybe for that now the value is different... Now I'm in the low level of my house. 1500 is still a high level?

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2016-07-20 a la(s) 1.29.15 p.m..png
    Captura de pantalla 2016-07-20 a la(s) 1.29.15 p.m..png
    92.7 KB · Views: 527
Here it is. Beforhand I was in a first floor. Maybe for that now the value is different... Now I'm in the low level of my house. 1500 is still a high level?

I'd prefer to see it a bit lower but 1500 isn't bad. Have tried to calibrate the compass in your backyard?

I'd prefer to see it a bit lower but 1500 isn't bad. Have tried to calibrate the compass in your backyard?

Yes! Not always the process is OK. Some attempts are good and some others doesn't (much of them). I don't know why!! :(

Yes! Not always the process is OK. Some attempts are good and some others doesn't (much of them). I don't know why!! :(

The only time i calibrate the compass is after i been inside the shell to make a modification. Meaning Ii may go to several location during the day. Now if i were to drive a few hundred miles away i'd recalibrate just be safe but not every day or every field i fly from.

The only time i calibrate the compass is after i been inside the shell to make a modification. Meaning Ii may go to several location during the day. Now if i were to drive a few hundred miles away i'd recalibrate just be safe but not every day or every field i fly from.

Ok, thanks for your help! It's strange because I try to calibrate in a place and always the process fails but only one doesn't. Anyway... Thank you again!

Ok, thanks for your help! It's strange because I try to calibrate in a place and always the process fails but only one doesn't. Anyway... Thank you again!

It really isn't necessary to calibrate the compass every time and I've been flying for two half years without any problems because I do not calibrate at every field.

There's two 'camps'.

Those who cal all the time and never know if they needed to.

And those, like me, who have cal-ed very rarely (three times since May '14).

Neither is likely to be convinced to switch camps.

Reactions: ivanzimerman
There's two 'camps'.

Those who cal all the time and never know if they needed to.

And those, like me, who have cal-ed very rarely (three times since May '14).

Neither is likely to be convinced to switch camps.

When I first started in March '14 I cal every place I went but it didn't long to realize it was necessary and quit doing so. Really do not care if I change someone way of doing things or way of thinking.

If their happy doing that silly little dance so be it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20