calibrating the compass

Reaction score
Before my first test flight I'd like to be sure. I was outside and got the horizontal right but not sure about the vertical. The manual and videos I found aren't real clear. Toggle s1 5 times yellow lights,horizontal 360 degrees green light, toggle s1 once then what? This is out of the box, not Naza M. Thanks I appreciate it!

Toggle switches,
rotate 360° to get green light
turn aircraft 90° rotate 360° to get green light
done

Be sure to rotate the quad around the center point with all four propellers horizontal like it is during normal flight, then all four propellers in a vertical plane like it was going to crash....:)

wartob said:
Toggle switches,
rotate 360° to get green light
turn aircraft 90° rotate 360° to get green light
done

Do you toggle once again after the horizontal before going vertical?

RedRyderMedia said:
Be sure to rotate the quad around the center point with all four propellers horizontal like it is during normal flight, then all four propellers in a vertical plane like it was going to crash....:)

I've crashed horizontally falling from trees. :D

Turn on everything and wait till you have a steady blinking green light.

Toggle the S1 switch several times until you have a SOLID yellow light.

Pick up the Phantom and keeping it horizontal, turn it in front of you 360 degrees, and the light will turn SOLID green.

Turn the phantom nose straight down, and again turn it in front of you 360 degrees, and the light will go back to the blinking green light. Your compass should now be calibrated.

Hope that helps.
-Jeff.

jeffrg270 said:
Turn on everything and wait till you have a steady blinking green light.

Toggle the S1 switch several times until you have a SOLID yellow light.

Pick up the Phantom and keeping it horizontal, turn it in front of you 360 degrees, and the light will turn SOLID green.

Turn the phantom nose straight down, and again turn it in front of you 360 degrees, and the light will go back to the blinking green light. Your compass should now be calibrated.

Hope that helps.
-Jeff.

Thanks a lot. That's perfect. Thanks all. Wish me luck!

When you tilt it down do you rotate it about an axis through the top and bottom of the aircraft (ie thru the camera) or through an axis front to back (ie thru the battery)? I rotate about an axis thru the top and bottom. Just wondering cause I have never tried the other way.

BlackTracer said:
When you tilt it down do you rotate it about an axis through the top and bottom of the aircraft (ie thru the camera) or through an axis front to back (ie thru the battery)? I rotate about an axis thru the top and bottom. Just wondering cause I have never tried the other way.

I did mine camera down........worked well.

BlackTracer said:

I just hold it at arm's length and rotate myself in a circle. Seems to work fine just watch for the lights to turn solid green after the level spin, then the lights go out and back to flashing green (assuming you were GPS locked) after the nose down rotation. One other thing, I don't wait for the full GPS lock before calibrating. I power on the transmitter, then the Phantom, toggle S1 to get the flashing yellow "calibrate compass" indicator, then perform the calibration. Once complete, I power everything off, wait a second, then start things normally in sequence. The Phantom retains its compass calibration between power cycles. You do NOT have to calibrate the compass before every session. If you have traveled a long distance from your last position, or just want to be ultimately safe, you can, but I have launched 20 miles from my house and noticed no difference in performance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj