Calibrating Black Pearl Rc801 Monitor

P

Pippin

I have a P2 with Zenmuse gimbal, iOSD Mini and recently purchased a Black Pearl Rc801 FPV Diversity Monitor. I can connect the DJI 5.8GHZ video transmitter signal to the receiving unit attached to the monitor, and it displays the same frequency on Band E in Diversity Mode on the monitor. But when I just use the monitor (without the DJI receiving unit inputing the signal to it), the frequency on Band E on the monitor doesn't correlate with the same frequency coming from the transmitter. Example: Channel 4 (5645M) from the transmitter is either Channel 2 (5685M) or Channel 7 (5925M) on the monitor in Diversity Mode. I receive a clear picture on the monitor from the transmitter even though the frequencies aren't the same.

Re: Calibrating Black Pearl Rc801 Monitor w/P2 video

I have exactly the same setup and have not found much info on black pearl. I am using channel 5 on band e on both antennas and it seems that only the top right one connects. The picture quality is not what I would have expected and wonder if I try the different channels will I find one that improves the picture quality?

I spoke with Dronefly today about why the video downlink frequency and monitor frequency don't match, and he said he never heard of this problem with the Black Pearl monitor and DJI 5.8GHZ video link. So I have two Black Pearl monitors, the only monitors in the whole world, with this problem. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mav456 said:
3 pretty sad guys here. You should have bought boscam lcd5802. 50% brighter in daylight and designed for the avl58. I'm getting 3km Rock solid range and I see the screen perfect In daylight without the sunshade. Shame on you for being sheeple and buying based in a cool name, and doing what everyone else does. Do some research next time, and you won't be stuck with inferior junk. Don't mean to Come off rude.

Shame on you for judging someone based on assumptions you've made about their buying decisions.

Don't mean to come off rude.

I'm a newbie just like 80% of the people on this forum. I don't buy products just because everyone else buys them and thinks they're cool. I was looking for a 7" monitor that had an integral battery and receiver. This seemed to fit the bill. I didn't want to buy a monitor from China and wait forever to get it. I'm surprised that just about everyone on this forum seemed to look at this post, then not bother to help me. So any future posts on this forum are a waste of my time.

I've experienced no fly aways with both my Phantom 1.1.1 and P2 like most newbies. I watched several YouTube videos and successfully added the video link and iOSD Mini and gimbal to my new P2 without a problem. I don't need hand-holding like most newbies on this forum. When I have a significant problem, I want answers, not a rude remark.

Pippin said:
I'm a newbie just like 80% of the people on this forum. I don't buy products just because everyone else buys them and thinks they're cool. I was looking for a 7" monitor that had an integral battery and receiver. This seemed to fit the bill. I didn't want to buy a monitor from China and wait forever to get it. I'm surprised that just about everyone on this forum seemed to look at this post, then not bother to help me. So any future posts on this forum are a waste of my time.

I've experienced no fly aways with both my Phantom 1.1.1 and P2 like most newbies. I watched several YouTube videos and successfully added the video link and iOSD Mini and gimbal to my new P2 without a problem. I don't need hand-holding like most newbies on this forum. When I have a significant problem, I want answers, not a rude remark.

Hey Pip.. I had the DJI Transmitter for about 2 days and then switched to the ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter. I also had the same problem with my Black Pearl where the channels numbers didn't match. Don't worry about it. What DJI calls channel 1 and what Black Pearl calls channel one seems to be a bit off. As long as you get a good signal is all that matters. I switched to the ImmersionRC transmitter because is higher power and less weight.

Just FYI... Its not that people are being rude by not responding to you problem, its just that a lot of people don't have the combination TX and RX you do so they couldn't comment on it. Most people here I believe run Immersion Transmitters.

hook3m said:
Hey Pip.. I had the DJI Transmitter for about 2 days and then switched to the ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter. I also had the same problem with my Black Pearl where the channels numbers didn't match. Don't worry about it. What DJI calls channel 1 and what Black Pearl calls channel one seems to be a bit off. As long as you get a good signal is all that matters. I switched to the ImmersionRC transmitter because is higher power and less weight.

Just FYI... Its not that people are being rude by not responding to you problem, its just that a lot of people don't have the combination TX and RX you do so they couldn't comment on it. Most people here I believe run Immersion Transmitters.

I have the DJI AVL58 transmitter and Black Pearl receiver. You have to look up the actual frequency numbers for the transmitter and receiver, then use the corresponding channel numbers for that frequency. Just because your on channel 1, for instance, on the transmitter doesn't mean the receiver will need to be on channel 1. Could be a different channel.

I have been out to 1km with my setup and could have gone farther but I chicken out.

Thank you both for responding to my recent post. I'm on Channel 1 (5705 frequency) on my DJI video link. Band E on the monitor. Channel 1 on the Black Pearl is the 5705 frequency which is fuzzy, no picture. Channel 8 (5945 frequency) picks up the signal, and the picture is perfect on the transmitter. I haven't been outside to fly the P2 and check the distance. It's still winter here in CT with snow on the ground and more snow coming this week. The frequencies obviously don't match between the transmitter and the receiver. I guess I should be lucky I have a perfect picture on the monitor, and hopefully when I can fly the P2 outside, keep my fingers crossed that I'll have the perfect picture when the P2 is far away!

Pippin said:
Thank you both for responding to my recent post. I'm on Channel 1 (5705 frequency) on my DJI video link. Band E on the monitor. Channel 1 on the Black Pearl is the 5705 frequency which is fuzzy, no picture. Channel 8 (5945 frequency) picks up the signal, and the picture is perfect on the transmitter. I haven't been outside to fly the P2 and check the distance. It's still winter here in CT with snow on the ground and more snow coming this week. The frequencies obviously don't match between the transmitter and the receiver. I guess I should be lucky I have a perfect picture on the monitor, and hopefully when I can fly the P2 outside, keep my fingers crossed that I'll have the perfect picture when the P2 is far away!

Hmmm, that's odd. Try switching to a different frequency the the DJI transmitter, then switch to the same freq on the black pearl. I seem to remember having to switch off of channel 1 on the DJI transmitter for the same reason. May also be that you're inside and something in your house (wifi) is interferring with the signal.

DesertFlyer- What frequency is your transmitter on, and what frequency is your receiver on? Frequencies 1-8 on the transmitter correlate with Frequencies 1-8 on Band E on the monitor. I can change the frequency on the transmitter to any of the 8 frequencies, but the same frequency on the monitor is different. 1 on the transmitter equals 8 on the monitor. 2 on the transmitter equals 5 on the monitor. All with a clear, no lines picture. I don't understand why Frequency 1 (5705) on the transmitter isn't the same Frequency 1 (5705) on the monitor. That's my hang-up. The Dronefly tech guy this afternoon said he had never heard of this problem before. He was willing to have me return the monitor for a credit or replace it with another monitor. I actually have two Black Pearl monitors- the other one was on my Phantom 1.1.1 which I sold last week. I got tired of 8-10 minute flights and changing the batteries on the P1. Both monitors act the same way so returning one for a credit or exchange doesn't seem like it will correct the problem with either of them. I'll just live with the situation and try to find a solution.

Pippin said:
DesertFlyer- What frequency is your transmitter on, and what frequency is your receiver on? Frequencies 1-8 on the transmitter correlate with Frequencies 1-8 on Band E on the monitor. I can change the frequency on the transmitter to any of the 8 frequencies, but the same frequency on the monitor is different. 1 on the transmitter equals 8 on the monitor. 2 on the transmitter equals 5 on the monitor. All with a clear, no lines picture. I don't understand why Frequency 1 (5705) on the transmitter isn't the same Frequency 1 (5705) on the monitor. That's my hang-up. The Dronefly tech guy this afternoon said he had never heard of this problem before. He was willing to have me return the monitor for a credit or replace it with another monitor. I actually have two Black Pearl monitors- the other one was on my Phantom 1.1.1 which I sold last week. I got tired of 8-10 minute flights and changing the batteries on the P1. Both monitors act the same way so returning one for a credit or exchange doesn't seem like it will correct the problem with either of them. I'll just live with the situation and try to find a solution.

I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to say. Are you able to get a clear picture with any combination of channels? If so, I wouldn't worry about anything else. Sorry if I'm not understanding you.

I got my black pearl a few days ago and I also use the Dji Avl58 what I did was just hit all the channels until I found the one with a video. I have to admit it took for ever but it worked. I never was able to figure out the flash code on the dji to figure out what channel it is on. :D

Yes, I can get a clear picture on the monitor with the iOSD Mini overlay with any combination of frequencies. I just can't get the clear picture matching the same frequency on the transmitter and receiver. Example: using Band E on the monitor, I can't match frequency 5705MHZ on the transmitter with frequency 5705MHZ on the monitor.

Bugsbunnyheli said:
I got my black pearl a few days ago and I also use the Dji Avl58 what I did was just hit all the channels until I found the one with a video. I have to admit it took for ever but it worked. I never was able to figure out the flash code on the dji to figure out what channel it is on. :D

If you don't change the settings on the video link on the P2, the frequency is Channel 1 (5705MHZ). That channel correlates with Channel 8 (5945MHZ) on my monitor. Beautiful picture on the monitor but not matching Channel 1 on the transmitter.

I actually had grabbed a paper clip and tried to change the channels but the red yellow green flashes were to fast for me to figure out. So I just sat black pearl n hand phantom 2 on and went through every channel on the black pearl until I got my signal. Took about 39 minutes. Not the best plan but it worked. :D

DesertFlyer53 said:
Pippin said:
Beautiful picture on the monitor but not matching Channel 1 on the transmitter.

If you have a beautiful picture, why does it matter what channel you're on? I don't understand your concern.

My concern is how long will that beautiful picture stay on my monitor as the P2 flies away. My understanding from other Phantom pilots is that the picture gets ragged even with matching frequencies. Time will tell if my monitor works correctly or not.

Pippin said:
DesertFlyer53 said:
Pippin said:
Beautiful picture on the monitor but not matching Channel 1 on the transmitter.

If you have a beautiful picture, why does it matter what channel you're on? I don't understand your concern.

My concern is how long will that beautiful picture stay on my monitor as the P2 flies away. My understanding from other Phantom pilots is that the picture gets ragged even with matching frequencies. Time will tell if my monitor works correctly or not.

If you're getting a good picture then the channel issue is irrelevant. Whether you loose picture or not as the Phantom gets farther away isn't related to the channel setting as much as it is to the Transmitters power output and antenna type and placement.

DesertFlyer53 said:
If you're getting a good picture then the channel issue is irrelevant. Whether you loose picture or not as the Phantom gets farther away isn't related to the channel setting as much as it is to the Transmitters power output and antenna type and placement.

Wish I lived in California so I could be enjoying my P2! Snow still on the ground here in Connecticut with a nor'easter coming up the coast tonight with heavy winds, snow and/or rain tomorrow........... Think I'm all set. Thanks for your input.

I get what you're saying Pippin. I have the same set up that you do. I tested distance last night, using channel 8 on the monitor and only got 30 yards out before the signal completely broke up. I'm not sure what the channel setting on the transmitter was but I'm in the process of checking as I had mistakenly mounted the transmitter to the Phantom body in such a way as to obscure the channel setting button (oops) and haven't yet been able to check. Once I get it apart and back together again I'll see what my next test results are but right now kind of concerned about the distance issue. Some additional detail:

Have a DJI cloverleaf antenna on the transmitter;
Two fat shark cloverleaf antennas on the receiver (thought the upgrade might help but got the same results with stock antenna)

I'll keep you posted on the next round of tests but let me know whether you've done any testing and what the results were.

Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic