Cal State University Monterey Bay Flight?

Reaction score
Hello all,
I want to start by saying I LOVE this forum. I have learned so much and also spent so much $$ on products you all suggest. It has all made my droning more fun and the results so much better. Thank you.

OK, here is my question. I have a good friend who owns a demo business. They are demo'ing 4 buildings on the CSUMB campus. She asked if I could do her a favor and take some before and after areal shots. I only drone for recreation and don't do anything professional.
So, the problem is that CSUMB is right smack dab in the middle of a no fly zone.
Stupid question of the day:
If I stay below 200 feet and her company gets permission from CSUMB, will I even be able to get off the ground with the DJI go app? And, is that just a bad idea in general since the campus is in a NFZ?

thank you in advance.

Attachments

• monterey no fly zone.jpg
    monterey no fly zone.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 459
Hello Steve,

I see three questions to whether or not you can do this flight; 1) Is this a commercial or recreational flight? 2) Are there restrictions on flight at the location? 3) Will the DJI app let you do it?

1) Commercial vs Recreational: This comes down to what the photos/videos that you shoot will be used for. Even if you don't receive any compensation for the flight it could still be considered commercial if your friend uses the images to promote her business. I'm no lawyer, but I'd play this one safe and not do it without a 107 certificate.

2) No fly zone: For a recreational flight you just need to notify all airports within a five mile radius of the flight area. Depending on the exact location this would likely mean all three airports on the map that you show. For a commercial flight it could be easier or more difficult depending on whether you are within the controlled airspace, horizontally and/or vertically, around any of these airports.

3) DJI Go App: Even if you are within a DJI defined no fly zone, you may be able to acknowledge that you accept the risks and fly anyway. There have been many changes to this functionality from DJI which will depend on your particular firmware.

I hope that this helps, and good luck!

Mike

Hello Steve,

I see three questions to whether or not you can do this flight; 1) Is this a commercial or recreational flight? 2) Are there restrictions on flight at the location? 3) Will the DJI app let you do it?

1) Commercial vs Recreational: This comes down to what the photos/videos that you shoot will be used for. Even if you don't receive any compensation for the flight it could still be considered commercial if your friend uses the images to promote her business. I'm no lawyer, but I'd play this one safe and not do it without a 107 certificate.

2) No fly zone: For a recreational flight you just need to notify all airports within a five mile radius of the flight area. Depending on the exact location this would likely mean all three airports on the map that you show. For a commercial flight it could be easier or more difficult depending on whether you are within the controlled airspace, horizontally and/or vertically, around any of these airports.

3) DJI Go App: Even if you are within a DJI defined no fly zone, you may be able to acknowledge that you accept the risks and fly anyway. There have been many changes to this functionality from DJI which will depend on your particular firmware.

I hope that this helps, and good luck!

Mike
thank you sir. This was very helpful.

I live in that area. It’s not the University that’s causing the no-fly zone it’s the airport formally use by Fort Ord that’s now unmanned but still used on occasion. For recreation flying, there is a park where you can fly in its proximity with no issue of no-fly zone which I just flew there yesterday. Oddly enough the quarter-mile west of there would not let me fly so the park just might be out of the range of the no-fly area in that airport. Here it is on the map where I was able to fly. I hope this helps you.
80e6a682f0353bb100c1b059f83643f4.jpg

Last edited:
You should be able to fly NE from that park with no issue which is pretty much open land.

Last edited:
For the OP-
The woman requesting the flight on the campus proper should ask the engineering department or dean of that department on the CSUMB campus as there is the likelihood that one of the engineering instructors might have a commercial sUAV license as well as the school's general liability insurance to do the flight legally. I'd wager the schools administration may shut you down as well as the campus police without the school's approval. Schools and colleges are really sensitive to drones unless known to them. Okay, the paperwork is another mess to get into with them (damhik!).

Reactions: slbynum
I would think "officially (not that I'm official)" the moment you knew you were flying for a commercial enterprise (your friend's company), you would be flying commercially. It's what you're thinking the moment you leave the ground, is this for fun or is it for a commercial purpose. You knew it was for a business, even if you thought it would be fun too.

Another way to think of it, is there a company you are stealing business (aerial photography) from? If so, then likely you are flying commercially.

Years before the FAA rules, I gave away aerial photo/videos to non-profits. The FAA now says that's commercial because at the moment I lifted off I was doing it for a business (even if it was a non-profit).

And yes, colleges/universities have rules to protect their property from damage and also to protect privacy of their students. And student's health

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic