Caching Maps.......how much data?

Reaction score
How much data from google maps can be cached? Square miles? I'm trying to figure out how much I can. I have shoots at 3 different locations

Good question. I shot from 4 different locations over the weekend and cached them all. I didn't even consider how much information I was storing. Might be good to know.

Cache your sites, turn off wifi/cellular, open google maps and see if you've still got tiles for your sites.

Well yea I can do that. I was wondering how much data (size) is stored?
A tiny fraction when compared to your overall storage space, but I believe it's 10MB per map, which should pretty much get you around 350 sq miles. But you can cache multiple maps (at least in Google maps, I'd assume Go just piggy backs the gmaps api)

Reactions: FASTFJR
Question:

I've not done this before and assume you "cache" by just opening up the g-map in the area of interest. Does one "save" the cache with some specific keystroke, or is it saved automatically?

Also, if one wants to cache a "satellite" google map of an area of interest, should one zoom in for greatest detail and then move up and down to cover the entire area of interest OR can one just zoom out and encompass the entire area of interest in one screen?

Reactions: Brad Pierce
I've not done this before and assume you "cache" by just opening up the g-map in the area of interest. Does one "save" the cache with some specific keystroke, or is it saved automatically?
Cached automatically just by looking at it.
Also, if one wants to cache a "satellite" google map of an area of interest, should one zoom in for greatest detail and then move up and down to cover the entire area of interest OR can one just zoom out and encompass the entire area of interest in one screen?
Yes. Generally street level is high enough since you won't be flying far enough to need to see state borders. :)

A tiny fraction when compared to your overall storage space, but I believe it's 10MB per map, which should pretty much get you around 350 sq miles. But you can cache multiple maps (at least in Google maps, I'd assume Go just piggy backs the gmaps api)

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers