CAA updates drone guidelines

Reaction score
This is good to see.
They say you have to maintain unaided visual line of sight, this must mean goodbye to FPV goggles?

I think the rules for FPV (goggles or monitor) is that you should always fly with a spotter. So as long as you keep within the distances stated and the spotter can maintain unaided visual line of sight- the pilot can use goggles or monitor.

bill

I think the rules for FPV (goggles or monitor) is that you should always fly with a spotter. So as long as you keep within the distances stated and the spotter can maintain unaided visual line of sight- the pilot can use goggles or monitor.

bill

I'm not sure if the same applies to non commercial flight but for paid work the operator must maintain visual line of sight so no goggles. If you're using a screen then you have to keep most of your visuals on your drone and use your screen as a quick reference.
If you have a separate payload/ camera operator like on the inspire then they are allowed to use FPV goggles.
But, not sure where this crosses over to non commercial flying.

I do still find it interesting that the 50m away from buildings/people and 150m from built-up areas/groups distances only apply to UAVs with cameras. To me that means those restrictions are there purely from a privacy perspective. Yet you would supposedly be invading people's privacy far more filming people walking down the street with a camera, which is completely legal, than flying in the air with a wide angle lens.

I do still find it interesting that the 50m away from buildings/people and 150m from built-up areas/groups distances only apply to UAVs with cameras. To me that means those restrictions are there purely from a privacy perspective. Yet you would supposedly be invading people's privacy far more filming people walking down the street with a camera, which is completely legal, than flying in the air with a wide angle lens.
This isn't a privacy concern, this is more for safety.
You can fly within 50m of any person if they are briefed on what to do if it all goes wrong and part of your shoot.
150m from a crowd of more than a 1000 people is a must rule from flying commercial or non commercial.

This isn't a privacy concern, this is more for safety.
You can fly within 50m of any person if they are briefed on what to do if it all goes wrong and part of your shoot.
150m from a crowd of more than a 1000 people is a must rule from flying commercial or non commercial.
It's not for safety, because if you don't have a camera fitted those rules don't apply:
o An unmanned aircraft fitted with a camera must always be flown at least 50m distance away from a person, vehicle, building or structure.
o An unmanned aircraft fitted with a camera must not be flown within 150m of a congested area or large group of people, such as a sporting event or concert.

Last edited:
CAA today updated drone guidelines for safe use in the UK. All common sense really and good to see nothing too restrictive has been added! Apart from the 500m line of sight which I never go over anyway .

There's also an link to an animated guide on the site.

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&newstype=n&mode=detail&nid=2468

While I struggle with close up reading, my long distance eyesight is fine. I would have no chance of seeing my phantom 500m away.... Hardly VLOS.

CAA today updated drone guidelines for safe use in the UK. All common sense really and good to see nothing too restrictive has been added! Apart from the 500m line of sight which I never go over anyway .

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&newstype=n&mode=detail&nid=2468
BBC in uk broadcast tonight in news program

BBC today (22nd July 2015) broadcast CAA findings on national news exactly that. 50m and 500m restrictions which is perfectly OK with me as I follow those always. I need to take a photo of a roof problem I have which is under warranty and the builder would like to see what he is up against, so as long as I tell my neighbours what I'm about to do i understand that I'm OK to put my drone up to take the necessary photos. Does anyone know different? Many thanks. John

Technically... Your street is a congested area, so you should not fly. However...

I think if you have informed all the neighbours within 150m, made the flight for the one, specific purpose, a blind eye would be turned. The CAA is much more concerned about mid air collisions and flights over heavily congested areas, with a lot of people around. Your risk is very low, so I think you would slip under the radar so to speak!

all these reports are not believable
no pics ? (lots of cockpit pics of lasers being shone at planes. ?)
can you see a quad @ 200ft distance @200mph and ID what it was ?
30 ft of a wing and the draft would not put it on the floor ?
90% of people have camera/smart phones to take the offending pics/vid
please correct me if im wrong ?

From 1 Aug 2015 in New Zealand new CAA rules will come into effect which prohibit flying over private or public property without permission from the owner (private) or local council or other governing body (public parks and so on). Basically for most people this will mean that they have simply nowhere to fly without having to go through a lot of hassle. Any other countries that have this particular restriction?

Yep ask any council here for permission to fly and they won't have a clue what you are on about.
Wait until they catch on and allow it.
There will be registers, licences and obviously costs. $$$$$
Raaaaa

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl