Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

CAA question on minimum height

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hughie, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Hughie

I fly a lot over a local nature reserve which is in a FL 85 / 25 zone about 10km from a UK international airport.

I see plenty of commercial airliners flying in towards the airport, according to my android app they are at around 3000' when they are nearby.

However the nature reserve attracts quite a lot of small aircraft such as helicopter (police/rescue/other) and light fixed wing.

When I fly I try to stick to 100M (i.e. below 400') and listen and watch all the time for other aircraft, but should these small aircraft be flying above a minimum height in any case ? Which CAA legal instrument defines this?

Thanks.

2. IrishSights

3. Hughie

Thank you IrishSights. It is dissapointing in that they can pretty much fly as low as they like in this case :(

4. IrishSights

For us it is 'see and avoid'

5. Hughie

Absolutely.

The problem is that up until now I was concerned about other aircraft above or on the same level. I now learn that there is nothing stopping a small fixed wing coming up from beneath me :eek:

This makes my exit strategy plans interesting. CSC to the ground may not be an option.

EDIT: I have just returned from walking my dog over there and an air ambulance helicopter flew in from nowhere over my head, could not have been more than about 250 AGL. I could almost read his aircraft registration.
    There is no way I can fly in this area. And there is no reason why he should be under 500'. He was simply having a jolly by the looks of it.