CAA question on minimum height

Reaction score
I fly a lot over a local nature reserve which is in a FL 85 / 25 zone about 10km from a UK international airport.

I see plenty of commercial airliners flying in towards the airport, according to my android app they are at around 3000' when they are nearby.

However the nature reserve attracts quite a lot of small aircraft such as helicopter (police/rescue/other) and light fixed wing.

When I fly I try to stick to 100M (i.e. below 400') and listen and watch all the time for other aircraft, but should these small aircraft be flying above a minimum height in any case ? Which CAA legal instrument defines this?

Thanks.

For us it is 'see and avoid'

IrishSights said:
For us it is 'see and avoid'

Absolutely.

The problem is that up until now I was concerned about other aircraft above or on the same level. I now learn that there is nothing stopping a small fixed wing coming up from beneath me :eek:

This makes my exit strategy plans interesting. CSC to the ground may not be an option.

EDIT: I have just returned from walking my dog over there and an air ambulance helicopter flew in from nowhere over my head, could not have been more than about 250 AGL. I could almost read his aircraft registration.
There is no way I can fly in this area. And there is no reason why he should be under 500'. He was simply having a jolly by the looks of it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20