CA Bill: No flying below 350' without permission.

i just got an AMA email regarding this bill. it is on the governor's desk which will either be signed into law or vetoed.

"Dear Friends,

On August 27, 2015 the California State Senate followed the State Assembly's lead in passing California SB 142. AMA spoke out in opposition to this bill in a letter to the Senate and the bill's sponsors, and testified further before the Joint Legislative Committee on Emergency Management and the Senate Judiciary Committee on August 18. Despite these efforts the California legislature passed SB 142, legislation that may pose a significant threat to recreational model aviation.

While originally intended to address privacy concerns the bill was amended in late June and, as such, now potentially subjects model aviation enthusiasts to possible law suits and civil sanctions for even an inadvertent excursion over the property of a neighbor that borders their flying field, schoolyard, park, or even their backyard.

This bill currently is sitting on Governor Brown's desk waiting for his action. Time is short. The governor has until September 12, 2015 to either sign or veto this proposed legislation.

Please act now. Go to http://amagov.modelaircraft.org/18534/californiasb142/ and let Governor Brown know that, as a recreational aeromodeler, you believe that this bill is too broad and overreaching and can only have a negative impact on model aviation.

Read SB 142.

Thanks for your help on this important issue."

Lawrence Tougas
AMA District X Vice President
[email protected]

Reactions: AlmostTan
So I heard today there are two new drone bills in the state senate: one for making it a misdemeanor to fly a drone over a prison and the other to stop people flying over schools.

I'd bet the governor has asked for alternative drone legislation to sign so he can veto SB142 and still look like he's doing something on drones.

Or he's gonna sign them all. :eek:

Reactions: AlmostTan
Those other bills are not new, they were all introduced earlier this year. And as an attorney and P3P operator in California, I think that AB 142 is ridiculously overbroad. And for those that are not aware of it, MANY local governments here have already banned RC aircraft completely; ie "no person shall operate an RC aircraft within the city limits." Period. Where I live, the combination of federal, state and local laws will make it effectively impossible to fly my P3P without going two hours out to the desert or flying out over the ocean.

And yes, I realize that I perhaps get what I deserve for living in CA.

So I heard today there are two new drone bills in the state senate: one for making it a misdemeanor to fly a drone over a prison and the other to stop people flying over schools.

I'd bet the governor has asked for alternative drone legislation to sign so he can veto SB142 and still look like he's doing something on drones.

Or he's gonna sign them all. :eek:
I hope you're right on that first point.

Those other bills are not new, they were all introduced earlier this year. And as an attorney and P3P operator in California, I think that AB 142 is ridiculously overbroad. And for those that are not aware of it, MANY local governments here have already banned RC aircraft completely; ie "no person shall operate an RC aircraft within the city limits." Period. Where I live, the combination of federal, state and local laws will make it effectively impossible to fly my P3P without going two hours out to the desert or flying out over the ocean.

And yes, I realize that I perhaps get what I deserve for living in CA.
i feel your pain.
its coming soon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20