C rating of the P3 battery?

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody knew the C rating of the p3 battery pack? I'm going to run tray batteries for long distance runs I heard 16 C is that accurate

It is written on your battery pack, C = capacity = 4480 mAh, I would say.
Your value of 16 C make no real sense to me. Your P3 will not fly if you try to load it with 16 batteries in total. If you expect to fly double of time, you will need a little more than the double of original capacity.

I was wondering if anybody knew the C rating of the p3 battery pack? I'm going to run tray batteries for long distance runs I heard 16 C is that accurate
WHAT'S IN A "C" RATING?

C Rating Explained
Newsletter_4.jpg

We hear it from the grizzled veteran pilot who has been flying since he lived next door to Wilbur and Orville Wright. We get the same question from guys who have so little experience with electricity they think that Watts is just a neighborhood in L.A.

So what does the C rating on a lipo mean? For starters, the C in C Rating stands for capacity. To break it down to its simplest terms, the C rating is the maximum safe continuous discharge rate of a pack. If you see 10C on your battery, it means it can be discharged at 10 times that pack's capacity. Capacity refers to the milliamp-hour rating of the battery, which will be listed as a number followed by mAh (2000mAh, for example).

Here's the easy way to find your battery's discharge rate just multiply the number from the C rating by the pack's capacity. Keep in mind that 1000 milliamps equals one amp. Here's an example, using an 11.1V 2000mAh 10C

11.1 volt 2000mAh -10C
2000 milliamps = 2 amps
2 Amps x 10 = 20 amps continuous discharge

That make sense. So in P3, as it can be discharged in 10 to 24 minutes, it means in worst case that the battery should be at least 6 C (battery discharged in 10 minutes instead of 60 minutes).
Do we know the rating of a P3 battery? 16C will for sure match but it seems high.

In fairly simplistic terms... for this discussion the "C" rating tells us how quickly the battery can "Dump" the load. The higher the "C" rating the more efficient the battery is so it can discharge quicker. On a side note... some High Performance setups use batteries with "C" ratings at 30+. With today's technology the higher the "C" rating the more costly (and often more weight) for the battery.

When you don't have a "Smart/Intelligent" battery and or charger you need to know the "C" rating so you can set the current settings for charging your batteries. The higher the "C" the faster the battery can be pushed in terms of charging.

Post #3 above says it well.
Not sure you're adding anything but confusion with your interpretation.

The C [multiplier] rating is a discharge term and can vary from pack to pack with the same capacity.
Yes, the higher the multiplier the heavier and more expensive they become.

Typically 1C is the standard LiPo charging rate so all that is needed is battery capacity to determine this not the discharge multiplier.

Yes there are folks who push beyond 1C, just like folks push FPV range etc., but 1C is typical.

Not to cause a stir but at least for me I felt like it could have used a bit more input. But alas I'll bow out and leave this thread to the experts.

I have lippos for my fc40 that have a charge C rating of 5c on a 2700mah and say on them that they have a discharge rating of 25c continuous discharge and 50c burst discharge.

But on the p3 battery's it dont say what the rating is but it would seem that its got to be higher then the rate they really do get discharged at when they are being used which would seem to be about 15c or so. and would be reasonable to think they must have a higher discharge rating then when they get discharged at or else it would really be pushing the batteys limits to not have any over head.

But on the charge rate c rateing as some one pointed out is not really of any use being that the batteys smart charger will not let it charge at any higher rate then the charger circuit will allow.

thats why if you have even just one battery on one of then charger boards being feed from even a 20 amp power supply its still not going to charge any fasted then 5 or so amps per hour. and thats only at the very beginning of a charge when the battery is fully drained and then it tapers down the more charge it gets.

This is an old thread but it comes up at the top in google searches so I will post the question again with hopes of relevant information.

Does anyone know the CHARGE c rating of the phantom 3 battery? (It is different than the discharge C rating posted on the battery)

Most modern LiPos can handle at least 3c charging but I'd like to know the correct figure.

This is not "pushing" a battery if it is rated for it. LiPos have come a long way, and quality ones have higher charge ratings e.g. the phantom 3 Professional has a higher wattage charger than the standard even though the batteries are the same.

Please refrain from posting if you don't know what all this means. Similarly if you have an answer like "I charge at 1c and that works for me" also not helpful for my question.

Thanks in advance

The C rating is not published. You can't charge greater than the on-board electronics allow anyways.

Reactions: BigAl07
That may be but it does offer faster charging I'm just not sure of the rate which is why I posed the question.
I know some people know this, just hoping one of them will check the forum.

I remember hearing it on either the DroneVibes podcast, or the DroneLife podcast. They were mentioning how they charge at a higher rate which keeps them going in the field with less batteries. I just can't remember which episode, and don't want to re-listen to everything to find it.

At the time I wasn't a Phantom owner so I didn't note the rate.

Here's hoping someone that knows will chime in.

Thanks again.

Third-party specs are dubious with regards to actual charge rates. Regardless of the supply's rating charge is regulated by the battery's on-board circuitry.
With a proper CC/CV charge profile max current is only supplied for ~60% of the total charge cycle.

Regardless of the supply's rating charge is regulated by the battery's on-board circuitry.
Yes you mentioned earlier in the thread, is that published? But what is the limit that you speak of?

Perhaps 6A maybe more, maybe less.

It's my understanding the circuit is a balance charge circuit considering that this is a 4s (4 cell) battery yet only has two leads to charge it.

With a proper CC/CV charge profile max current is only supplied for ~60% of the total charge cycle.
Yeah, but a higher amperage curve that is accepted by the battery circuitry would therefore charge faster.

As I mentioned earlier I've heard some professional operators talking about charging at faster rates in the field to minimize the amount of batteries.
I do not remember the exact models and rates they were talking about, it could have been other DJI products they were referring to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.