Bypassing Phantom 2 with direct FPV?

Reaction score
I spent a good hour searching for this particular request for some knowledge, but found nothing else like it.

I've got a faulty video send on the central board. A little scorch-mark and no power to either the Boscam tx or the Immersion tx that I've hooked up, both with separate cables - one self-soldered and one bought pre-made.

I bought a new central board but as I looked at it the thoughts came to my mind of a 3 month project that would never work right because of all the soldering of wires to the board itself. I'm just not that guy. I've decided that no FPV is better than replacing the board... for my purposes.

I really don't have to have the tx for what I do. I've operated a video camera for 30 years and can understand what the GoPro is seeing just by the position of the drone.

However, I would like to see it. I'm wondering if there is a workaround.

Is there a way to feed a signal right out of the GoPro to the transmitter without using the interface built into the Phantom 2? A cable for that perhaps? If so, is power available for the tx readily?

Are there optional tx cameras that are cheap - just to send the look to the receiver as an approximation of what the GoPro is capturing?

Any other ideas other than the obvious "start over with a new unit?"

Yes and yes, you can pipe video straight from the gopro or other camera to your video Tx without going through the Phantom's mainboard. Can I assume you're using a Zenmuse gimbal (H3-2D/H3-3D)? If so you'll have to be careful about the cable's routing to minimize any restrictions/resistance to the gimbals natural movement. But yes there's several options for doing that.

However, if you already have the new mainboard for the Phantom, I think you might be better to just find a way to get it installed. If that project is a bit outside your comfort zone, there's members here (myself included) who could give you a hand with that, it just seems like you've already invested in what's probably the better (more elegant) solution in the long run.

Thanks OI-P. Yes I have the H3-3D gimbal.

I do think the installation of the new board is the better solution; however, I'm already thinking of adding another, larger drone to the hangar, so I will probably wait until that happens and I can live with the downtime easier and without worry. Then I'll ship it off on the First Train To Clarksville.

Where would I go to find out how to attach video and power to the transmitter directly? Even if it includes killing a Minotaur, it will be easier than me slogging through the main board redux.

couple thoughts: 1) if you already have the other board, you could find a local hobby shop, probably even one that specializes in quadcopters and have them do it. worst case post to craigslist for people that are comfortable with board soldering

2) we're discussing something similar in this thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22798

you might not want to do the full mod (swapping the connector) but the point is we discuss how it's going to require going straight from the gopro to the Video Tx (or iOSD Mini).

Your bigger problem I'm afraid is power. if you can't tap into that mainboard power output to power the videoTx, the only way I can think of to power it (other than swap the mainboard) is to run a battery, and that'll just suck.. add weight, hassle etc.

pablus said:
Is there a way to feed a signal right out of the GoPro to the transmitter without using the interface built into the Phantom 2? A cable for that perhaps? If so, is power available for the tx readily?

Here is a link to the type of cable you'll need to get the video out:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1296

If you can't get power directly to the transmitter using the 2 wires that are part of the 4-wire set that was originally taped to the underside of your Phantom when you bought it, just run a +'ve and -'ve wire from any 6-25V source within the Phantom. The immersionRC transmitter can take any 6-25V input. I've powered it using an old 12V wall wart before and there's no issue with this.

I've posted an image for you below of one of the many takeoffs you can use for power:

308zio9.jpg

For anyone else who wants to run the power to the transmitter using the DJI stock 4-wire cable:

For the positive and negative wire that supply electricity to the video transmitter -- here is an extract from the Phantom 2 manual with a bit of writing on it. Just solder or connect the Red and Brown wire (two of the four-wire flat cable that is taped to the underside of the Phantom 2 from the factory) to your transmitter's + and - connector.

301hbmf.jpg

If anyone has comments or suggestions related to this post, let me know.

pablus said:
Then I'll ship it off on the First Train To Clarksville.

And then I will....meet it at the station? ;)

QYV and tferrari have presented the exact two solutions I was going to offer as options in your situation, though both will take careful wire routing at the camera and gimbal.

Thank you, kind and patient people.

Great solution and one that will tie me over to the next chopper… or… you know… the next soul-wrenching wreck.
Hope I can help some of you one day with my skill-set, once I find out what it is.

I'll get some pics to this thread as I hook it up for the next person who may need it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic