Bye bye phantom

Reaction score
Well it's not a fly away :lol: but decided to upgrade too a dji f550 .

Found a good deal so couldn't say no :lol: anyone else swapped from a phantom too f550 ?

Should be here next week just in time for my zenmuse to arrive too .

Even though I upgraded the main board on the phantom an few other mods , I don't think it will cope with all the weight it's carrying .so seemed my best option was to go bigger :D

I nearly did it the other week as I damaged the phantom shell, I ended up going for another phantom shell as I like the more compact size and the 550 though its nice I think would be more of a hassle to travel with. When I bought my upgrade motors a while back I got 6 to make the move to a 550 easier or have access to easily replace one damaged in a crash.

All I would need are the esc's, frame and gps pretty much but I like my phantom in its travel box too much. I think I may end up keeping this as a phantom unless a big crash gives me that choice again then I may switch to another frame.

I have both.
I use the Phantom for fun flying and for stills photography. The F550 is for video.

Best of both worlds as the Phantom is super portable so is always in the trunk of the car in it's carry box. Then I have the F550 if I need to do something more serious and planned.

Liking the idea of keeping both ,but will see as a mate wants my phantom :lol:

How do find the f550 flying compared too the phantom ?

Could I just put another futaba rx in an use them both (not at same time :D ) as I use a futaba t8 ?

I just ordered a F550 last week from Florida and its taking forever to get here! I'm excited. I love my phantom but would like something more stable in wind and the longer flight distance and altitude sound appealing. What transmitter are you planning to use?

I ordered four spare black arms. I think I want my built using four black arms and either use two white arms to indicate the front, or two red.

jgerlitz said:
I just ordered a F550 last week from Florida and its taking forever to get here! I'm excited. I love my phantom but would like something more stable in wind and the longer flight distance and altitude sound appealing. What transmitter are you planning to use?

I ordered four spare black arms. I think I want my built using four black arms and either use two white arms to indicate the front, or two red.
I use a futaba t8 on the phantom an very happy with it , I'm hoping I can just get another futaba rx for the f550 an keep both :D

Like you I can't wait now to get it ! I live right on the coast so it's always windy , too windy for the phantom a lot of the time an the f550 seems more stable in winds .

Mate don't scare me like that! What with Glock losing his the other day I thought another shapeways buyer had lost theres!

Fair play to you though. The idea of ugrading to the f550 is very appealing especially for video.

If I go that route I will move the Naza to a kit that comes with all the motors and escs (like Martcerv suggests). Then I'd get a F350 frame (£27) and move the Phantom guts to it (making a case for the GPS and a hanger for the compass). That way all I'd need to do is swap the naza over when needing something small and mobile (after a tweek in the Naza assistant software of course).

This mean you are leaving the forum? :lol:

:lol: at least it wasnt bad news :D

i will be sticking around as still have the phantom ;)

i have some projects coming up so that made me go for a f550 , will prob use the phantom for fpv fun .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.