Buying Phantom v2 non-vision. What extra to buy ?

Reaction score
Hi, I have finally decided to go for the Phantom v2 non-vision, as I genuinely think GoPro sensors are much much better than the inbuilt camera of Phantom .

So, what all items do I need extra ?

Screen, and a wireless transmitter, thats all ?
Which exact products do you suggest ?

Or can we simply get the drone and use iPhone Gopro app for the live video for framing correct shots.

Works ?

the app only works with the Vision series Phantom2's, you need to build your own FPV system. Head over to the FPV thread, that's pretty much the main thing we talk about there. there's stickythreads help you get started, tons of newbie threads people discussing buying kits, building themselves, etc

In all simplicity, you'll obviously want a GoPro, but also a SD card, preferably one which supports high transfer rates if you wish to capture high quality video. Most cards can do 1080p, 60FPS. See this for more info.

Then, you'll need a Gimbal. Zenmuse H3-3D is quite popular and really good by my experience.

^This is all you need for actual recording/photography.^

While GoPro Hero 3 does have WiFi, my experiences with the app are absolutely terrible. At first, it did the job just fine, but nowadays I'd have to re-install the firmware to get the phone-GoPro connection working properly. The remote which comes with the GoPro works fine though!
If you're lucky enough to not have any of my issues, remember that it's a WiFi connection, so if you're lucky, you'll have a connection up to 100 meters, which is pretty much the technical limit I read somewhere.

Regarding live view to my controller, I just bought an expensive FPV setup which seems to do the job.
I can list the items I purchased if you're interested enough.

I find prop guards more difficult to fly with.

dptcalvin said:

I'm really curious to know how you feel this way. I didn't notice any changes in the copter's behavior.

Jourei said:
dptcalvin said:

I'm really curious to know how you feel this way. I didn't notice any changes in the copter's behavior.

prop guards absolutely affect the Phantom 2's flight characteristics... they add weight which decreases flight time and overall craft responsiveness, and increase the chances of VRS.

Basically prop guards are useful if you're flying indoors or near obstacles where you stand a real chance of running into something... trees, buildings, whatever. If you're just open air flying not near anything to hit they're pointless

I noticed wind has a stronger impact when I fly with prop guards.

IMO, they're more trouble than they're worth.

Off-topic now...OP, read the link I posted above. It lists everything you need for FPV and also has links to where you can buy each component.

SteveMann said:
VRS = Vortex Ring State. In rotorcraft as you descend air is compressed below the craft and much of that compressed air spills over the rotor plane in a vortex. Because the rotor plane is a circle, it's called ring vortex. The vortex pressure will decrease the lift from the rotor. So the unaware pilot adds cyclic to stop the descent (throttle in multirotor aircraft), which increases the downwash pressure which increases the vortex pressure which exacerbates the problem. Eventually you run out of cyclic or power and the aircraft comes straight down. In helicopter flight training you are taught to move laterally to get out of a VRS. The reason a multirotor wobbles when it's in VRS is because the lift from all the rotors is not compromised the same and as one rotor plane recovers another loses lift.

dptcalvin said:
I noticed wind has a stronger impact when I fly with prop guards.

IMO, they're more trouble than they're worth.

Off-topic now...OP, read the link I posted above. It lists everything you need for FPV and also has links to where you can buy each component.

You should get the prop guards. Think of them as training wheels. Use them to practice ground landings and hand catches. Fly close and not high as they are prone to causing vortex ring state and crash your phantom. On the newer upgrade p2 v2, the weight of the prop guards shouldnt affect the lift too much. When you are comfortable, remove them and please remember to use the short hex screws otherwise you chew your motors windings.

Also.. see if yo u can purchase p2+h33d with extra battery as a package. It will be heaps cheaper.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl