Buying Phantom 2 shortly, but have reservations

Doh!

That was a while ago to be fair... :D :lol: :oops:

I'll ask the seller if there's any history on the grounds that they can tell the truth as I don't mind, I just want to ensure any such occurrences don't cause future issues. Doesn't hurt to ask even though it's easy for them to say no either way.

Lol, yes mate.

I've been describing what I had to do after receiving it etc with IMU calibration and so on.
Bought it on Friday and was delivered the next day. :)

We were just speculating on whether or not it would have had a crash or not.

One other thing I ought to check, my phantom 2 is I believe a 2.8ghz model, so I presume that the FPV kit I buy MUST be a different band, most likely 5.8ghz?

Are there any particular pros/cons to having a 2.8ghz drone?

MrJoshua said:
One other thing I ought to check, my phantom 2 is I believe a 2.8ghz model, so I presume that the FPV kit I buy MUST be a different band, most likely 5.8ghz?

Are there any particular pros/cons to having a 2.8ghz drone?

non-vision models operate on 2.4Ghz range, indeed and therefore need FPV systems in the 5.8Ghz range so that they don't interfere. P2-Vision models have 5.8Ghz RC

from what I understand, the lower the frequency the better the penetration through things like trees and foliage.

Thanks, I had an inkling maybe it was better on 2.8 because of fewer devices using that and thus a lower risk of interference but I might have that wrong.

I'm slightly confused now though exactly which variant I've got if it came with a gimbal but wasn't a vision, and is on 2.8.

I suppose I should check what firmware or whatever it's on too, and see if it's up to date etc.

MrJoshua said:
Thanks, I had an inkling maybe it was better on 2.8 because of fewer devices using that and thus a lower risk of interference but I might have that wrong.

I'm slightly confused now though exactly which variant I've got if it came with a gimbal but wasn't a vision, and is on 2.8.

I suppose I should check what firmware or whatever it's on too, and see if it's up to date etc.

If you got a non-Vision Phantom2 (with a gimbal+gopro) then indeed your RC control operates in the 2.4Ghz range and therefore you want 5.8Ghz FPV equipment.
There's actually MORE interference in 2.4 because that's what all oldschool wifi's run on. there's legal things involved, like 2.4ghz range has been available to consumers for a lot longer and is therefore more cluttered.
5.8Ghz is a newer band available to consumers and generally far less busy.

I agree that you should also make sure all your firmwares are latest version, there are 3 total: the RC (RC Assistant), the iOSD Mini (iOSD assistant assuming you install this part with your FPV) and of course the Phantom itself via Phantom Assistant. Phantom Assistant handles the firmwares for the Phantom, flight computer, and gimbal.

it's a good idea after any firmware update to do a RC calibaration in RC assistant (usb plugged into RC of course), then switch over to Phantom Assistant (usb to Phantom) and do another controller calibration in there

Appreciate the advice thanks. I'll be following that.

A friend commented that some people claim you shouldn't necessarily use the latest firmware as there's been conflicts with something or other, and that while its intended to prevent flyaways it can allegedly cause more. I haven't researched whether there's any truth in this though so I will be doing that.

MrJoshua said:
Appreciate the advice thanks. I'll be following that.

A friend commented that some people claim you shouldn't necessarily use the latest firmware as there's been conflicts with something or other, and that while its intended to prevent flyaways it can allegedly cause more. I haven't researched whether there's any truth in this though so I will be doing that.

The latest firmware version was released at the end of July.

I have flown 3.06 since the day it was released and have had no issues whatsoever.

yea that may have been true in earlier versions but in my opinion I have't heard very many issues at all with the latest... like they FINALLY got it right.
the only possible problem I can think of is some folks' P2's being weird about batteries and initiating auto-land early. I Don't have auto-land or auto-return enabled in the software and I've never experienced it. If you want to look into it, here's the main thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17324

Thanks for the link - made interesting reading and sorry for the slow reply, I've had to focus on other things for a bit, annoyingly!

I want to buy some FPV kit for the phantom now and a gopro (v4, silver), but I'd like to be able to fly it with FPV kit without the go pro at first to ensure I can fly it a decent distance and trust it before I attach an expensive new gadget to it. Is there an easy/cheap way I can add an 'eye' to it prior to having the go pro? I.e. some sort of dirt cheap camera that would give me FPV video output temporarily?

MrJoshua said:
Is there an easy/cheap way I can add an 'eye' to it prior to having the go pro? I.e. some sort of dirt cheap camera that would give me FPV video output temporarily?

Short answer: not easily. I understand and agree with your logic... I often recommend to new pilots to leave the gimbal+gopro off at least for a little bit... get the hang of flying the Phantom visually at shorter ranges... you'll be surprised how far you can go and still maintain control and orientation, and how quickly you pick it up especially if you're a console gamer the controls are basically Xbox/Playstation style.

After some flights as you get more comfortable with the device then add the gimbal+gopro. it will change the performance slightly since now it's heavier, it'll be slightly more sluggish but not terribly... anyway once you have the knack of flying it around visually without FPV then add the gimbal, gopro, and FPV and it'll add a whole new (super fun) layer. it's a little easier to fly with FPV imo, but you'll be better off for having learned without it, especially if anything happens like the gopro does, your FPV screen or anything craps out you still have your base skills to fall back on :)

Thanks - completely agree with all of that although it's not quite the same reason for what I meant - my fault for not explaining sorry!

I can already fly helis (tail in at least), and have a parrot AR2 drone etc, so I've no worries about manual flying of the Phantom. I'll be slightly nervous first flight but more because of not knowing how responsive/twitchy it'll be etc compared to other models I've flown I guess.

The reason I'm slightly wary is because it's a used kite that I've bought, and was sold as having a 'fault'. When I received it there was a pin not pushed fully home in the canbus connector on the leg, and it needed IMU calibration doing, but other than that it 'appears' to be perfectly ok. I haven't flown it yet due to a combination of weather/free time/not yet researching all I need to on preventing issues. I'm absolutely itching to fly it but also don't want to risk doing something careless or risk anything that could inadvertently cause it to do a runner through ignorance on my part!

So I was sort of hoping I'd be able to fit FPV kit to be able to test it out further than immediate visual range, but without having to fit an expensive new gopro until it's been flown several times to give me some faith that it's able to be trusted. I'm probably being stupidly paranoid most likely, but I just don't have the budget to be able to replace stuff like that if something bad happens that I could have prevented. If it happens because of something else, well, that's life I guess!!!

Well I finally got round to doing a brief first test flight today. Loved it!

Was off work feeling very sorry for myself so I spent the day alternating between sleeping and watching videos/reading threads about phantoms (I decided a good opportunity to finally get round to studying all the info I wanted to in order to avoid a problem). Familiarised myself with the flight modes and switch positions etc, enabled Naza and then took the paranoid and possibly destructive step of tethering a long length of fishing line to the leg of the phantom!! I figured that while there's a risk of catching a prop if it flies erratically, I'd rather have the possibility of stopping it flying off in the unlikely event of its first flight being problematic. I needn't have worried, but it seemed like a useful precaution since it was bought as having a fault and obviously 2nd hand.

It flew beautifully in the confines of my garden (didn't have the slightest bit of bother having fishing line attached as it turns out), and was just soooooo smooth & stable compared to my Parrot drone. Not really a surprise of course but still, a joy to fly! :D

So my finger is getting itchy now on buy the gopro4, gimbal, and FPV kit. I'll try to get a decent flight in at the weekend though so I can test it more. Untethered and further away!

congrats! it's a really amazing hobby soon you'll be getting pictures and video from a whole new perspective. flying with FPV is just super fun

Thanks mate

I really can't wait! Hopefully getting a gopro tomorrow if currys have one in, and I'll order the gimbal.
Only thing I cannot decide on is the monitor/rx setup to go with. Struggling to decide!

fwiw, I'm perfectly happy with my RX-LCD5802, and it supports all frequency sets. Are you aware of my stickypost in the FPV forum with all the parts and prices?

QYV said:
fwiw, I'm perfectly happy with my RX-LCD5802, and it supports all frequency sets. Are you aware of my stickypost in the FPV forum with all the parts and prices?

Best sticky on the site. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26413

I used this buying my stuff as a newbie.

I have the RX-LCD5802, Immersion 600w, IOSD mini, cloverleaf antennas, and one of the Shapeways plastic monitor mounts. Fantastic set up.

that is indeed a great setup, glad it helped!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31