Buying new tablet, what works the best?

The difference in quality you see when watching on the TV is because the fpv feed doesn't even come close in quality to the camera recording itself. It has nothing to do with the tablet. And the original first gen Nexus is not meant for the dji pilot app only the second generation version but you figured that out yourself I see. I did a clean install of Lollipop 5.1.1 on my second gen Nexus 7 and this tablet is now working better than it ever has.
Oh well, the FPV is not bad at all! The only real problem in daylight are reflections... but this is something you'll have with every tablet I guess...

Can anyone tell me if the shield generates less heat than the iPad 2 mini. I did notice that the mini does heat up quite a bit..maybe the shield is cooler running???

Thanks, got an Air 2 today - because I succumbed to peer pressure.

iPad mini 2 cellular for sale [emoji12]

Mark.

Can anyone tell me if the shield generates less heat than the iPad 2 mini. I did notice that the mini does heat up quite a bit..maybe the shield is cooler running???
I used to use a Mini 2 until the weather warmed up and the Mini 2 started to fail. It just can't keep up in the heat. While researching a replacement, I saw that the Shield had a max operating temp of 86F. That to me was too low to consider for a warm weather area such as mine. I got an Air 2 instead, which is spec'd to 95F. Same as the Mini 2 I know, but with the much better specs of the Air 2 it wasn't taxed as much as the Mini 2. Perhaps the Shield also runs the Pilot app with little enough effort so that the 86F limit is no issue in warm climates. I do know that many people love the Shield.

Regarding cellular and non cellular IPads;

Is it that a cellular enabled tablet allows one to take advantage of using the remote as a home point, shows orientation animation of the remote in the app, and allows the follow me feature (unsure if this available yet)?

Have I missed anything?

Seems a lot of emphasis is being put on the need to have cellular, for those of us who don't, I'm curious as to exactly what features/functionality I'm missing out on.

Thanks,
Mark.

Regarding cellular and non cellular IPads;

Is it that a cellular enabled tablet allows one to take advantage of using the remote as a home point, shows orientation animation of the remote in the app, and allows the follow me feature (unsure if this available yet)?

Have I missed anything?

Seems a lot of emphasis is being put on the need to have cellular, for those of us who don't, I'm curious as to exactly what features/functionality I'm missing out on.

Thanks,
Mark.
Those are be features that I considered before deciding to go wifi only or not. I also thought about how important was future proofing in case some awesome killer app comes out later that requires a GPS enabled tablet. I decided that wifi only would work for me in 99% of my needs, and my phone could cover the other 1% in the rare time I needed GPS. Also, if something too awesome to pass up comes along, I love having a reason to buy the newest gadget. Win win!

Reactions: PhantomFun
Evidently only cellular iPads have the GPS functionality. The hardware for GPS. It's not about actually having the cellular activated, it's about having the hardware of the GPS.

Can anyone confirm if my above mentioned list is correct regarding the useable enhancements with having cellular...?

Thanks,
Mark.

What has worked the best for you guys? I was thinking about an iPad mini or an iPad, will an iPad fit? Just wanted to see what you guys have and what works, thanks!
I am currently using my Nexus 9 tablet and for the most part its running very smooth. I have only experienced some lag from the tablet a handful of times. I honestly think this is due to the DJI pilot app.

Granted I don't live in Cali or somewhere generally warm, but in 90 degree temps I can fly 3 P3 Batteries and my Shield doesn't feel warm at all.

Evidently only cellular iPads have the GPS functionality. The hardware for GPS. It's not about actually having the cellular activated, it's about having the hardware of the GPS.

Can anyone confirm if my above mentioned list is correct regarding the useable enhancements with having cellular...?

Thanks,
Mark.

You are right, only cellular iPads have GPS hardware in it, because it is in the same chip. But, Wifi only iPad has Assisted GPS, so they work without sattelites, you just have to be connected to the internet, just share it from the phone.

Reactions: desertcat
I use an iPad mini 2 (not cellular). Only difference with the latest version 3 is the fingerprint sensor. I had it well before buying the P3P and has worked pretty good. I do find the screen quite reflective so have anti glare screen protectors on order. Made myself a DIY sunshade so hope the combination works. I find the weight is good. I cache the map of where I'm gonna fly beforehand so I can switch off wifi etc when I'm flying and find that works really well. I've not had any lag or cut outs from the FPV or the app, but I'm a fairly new flyer and just worked my way up to 200m elevation and 500m distance. IMHO if you already have a Mac and iPhone and in Apple ecosystem then the iPad mini 2 is a good buy.
Hey Farm...I just ordered a 16gb iPad mini 3 no cel no wifi. Am I correct in thinking I can use my cell phone's wifi signal with the iPad and still retaing full funcionality of the DJI Pilot app?

I bought an iPad mini 3 new from Best Buy, ($85 off) and it works perfectly.
Hey Otis..I just did as well. Waiting for it to arrive. I've always been android. For the p3p I decided to have a dedicated tablet. My only concern (which I figured out by reading this thread) is that the mini 3 does not have cellular.

How do you think this could affect the integrity of the Pilot app, if at all.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Otis..I just did as well. Waiting for it to arrive. I've always been android. For the p3p I decided to have a dedicated tablet. My only concern (which I figured out by reading this thread) is that the mini 3 does not have cellular.

How do you think this could affect the integrity of the Pilot app, if at all.

Thanks in advance!
I turn airplane mode on when flying. Less interference. I was in the backyard and ran AirPlay so my guests could watch it on TV. Worked great but I could only fly about 600 ft before it really started breaking up. Lost signal about 3 times. Without everything on I could go about 1600 ft in the city.

There's some confusion here. The cellular models are different. It's not about being connected to the Internet specifically. The app will work great w/ either model. It is such that the cellular model even w/out connection to cellular has GPS functionality, thus adding enhancements to the flight experience.

W/or without cellular enjoy flying. Both work great. [emoji2]

Mark.

Just my 2 cents - I'm using a ipad mini2 & have had no issues regarding lag/ picture quality etc - need an anti glare cover & sun screen though.
Went with the ipad mini as my samsung galaxy tab 3 wasn't compatible at the time - despise the apple brand but that was all that was available for $ at the time of purchase.

Not had any heat issues as using in around 6degs c - can get up to 40 deg c here in summer...

The iPad Mini 2 I had actually got very hot while flying my Phantom 3 with it. I've found this iPad Air 2 to remain cool and the video playback is always excellent. Never any breaking up or lag. It's operating much better with these faster processors.
@PhantomFun
Hi Mark, to answer those questions, no you haven't really missed mentioning any features.
"Is it that a cellular enabled tablet allows one to take advantage of using the remote as a home point, shows orientation animation of the remote in the app, and allows the follow me feature (unsure if this available yet)?
Have I missed anything?
Seems a lot of emphasis is being put on the need to have cellular, for those of us who don't, I'm curious as to exactly what features/functionality I'm missing out on. "

Yes to all, and no there is no Follow Me yet.
Also with GPS you don't need to cache the maps where you wish to fly, they are there already for you to use when you open the Pilot App.
It's also interesting watching a replay of your flight path on the map when you play it back.

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj