Buying my DJI Phantom

Reaction score
Hi, i'm been lurking this forum for awhile now, and i am about to pull the trigger on a DJI phantom. I have done my research(i apologize if some of my info is wrong) and would like to buy one soon. I have experience flying smaller helicopters, quadcopters, and some experience flying a DJI phantom 2. I am mainly going to be using the drone to record action videos. My questions are, which is combo gives me the most for my money & where should i purchase my drone from?

Here is what i definitely want with my drone:3-axis gimbal & vision app(or something similar so i can see what i'm recording/where my drone is)

PROS & CONS

DJI Phantom 2 Vision + ---- i believe this is my best option $ wise, given my situation.
1) it comes with a decent camera. I currently own a go pro silver 2(new when it came out and it still works like a champ)
2) it comes with the built in 3-axis gimbal & vision app.
it comes to around $1100 MSRP.

DJI Phantom 2 + H3-3D/H4-3D ------ i know this will give me the BEST picture/video quality with the new go pro 4.
1) i will have to purchase a new go pro - about $400-500 depending if i want the hero 3 or hero 4.
2) I will also have to purchase the video downlink/lightbridge so that i can see what i'm recording from my controller. I'm unsure on the pricing on the downlink, but the lightbridge MSRP is $1400.
EXCLUDING the video downlink/lightbridge, the DJI Phantom 2+H3-3D/H4-3D AND a go pro will cost me around $1300-1400 MSRP.

PURCHASING
From the DJI website, the closest authorized dealer is about 3-4 hours away(Baton Rouge, LA). I do not mind ordering one online from an authorized dealer, but a crash is inevitable, and i'm not sure how fast a turnaround on a repair will be. I know a local hobby shop that sells DJI phantoms, but they are not an authorized dealer, nor do i know if they will be able to help me if i need a good fixing up. If anyone can give me a good store to purchase my DJI from, it will be greatly appreciated. My zip code is 39532. I do not mind traveling 1hour to New Orleans, as i do on a regular basis.

My budget is quite flexible, but i do not want to spend $3-400 on a new go pro/other accessories for the phantom 2 just for a bit of better video quality.

Any feedback is helpful! I know this is going to turn into an expensive hobby.

I bought my Phantom 2 Vision+ from Amazon. They have good prices, free shipping, fast shipping, and a superb return policy (if you need to use it). You can find Phantoms from various DJI resellers here.

If you crash your Phantom, then the repair cost is going to come out of your pocket. In that case, it does not matter which DJI dealer does the work. So, you don't necessarily need to get it repaired by the dealer you purchase your Phantom from.

Last edited:
I bought my Phantom Vision 2 v.2 with H3-3D gimbal from B&H. They also have outstanding customer service and a great return policy. And it's on sale through tomorrow I believe. I echo msinger about the repair cost if you crash.

My P2, V2 with 3D gimbal was purchased from Amazon because I buy and sell there and I know Amazon in and out. As stated, their return policy is unmatched. However, I have purchased from B&H, in the past, with no problems. But, I didn't need to return an item.

If you are an Amazon prime member, or become one, you will get free 2'day shipping or one day for. $3.95. You also get a LOT of free movies and TV on Amazon Pime TV, kinda like Netflix, but better. If you read E-books, you get a free one each month.

If you are really into E-book reading, they just came out with a program where you get many free books each month. I ordered about every drone book, that they carry, for free.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I initially though about buying from Amazon, as i too know how their return policy works. But, i'm still curious if i'm right about getting the most out of my money by choosing the vision 2+ over the regular phantom 2 + 3axis gimbal. I WILL have to buy a new go pro if i purchase the phantom 2 + 3axis gimbal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers