Buying from Phantom Pilots Members

Sorry for the problems one reason I never buy used in the times we live you just can not trust anyone .
Your not the only one to be burned from a member that only joined to sell there junk .

Last edited:
Im not a do it yourself-er so I don't buy parts. If I need to buy any accessories or user replaceable parts, I always get them from Amazon or a legitimate (appearing) source. Of course you can still get beat when you buy from a new source. It looks to me that buying parts or used equipment from individuals has an inherent risk to it. They may out and out be a scammer or they may send you a part that they honestly thought was good, and it turns out that it was just about ready to go bad. All parts have a life span and if you get one thats just about at the end, it can go bad and you say its his fault and he says its yours. Not a good situation to be in. There are good people here and bad people. Trust, just like in a friendship comes with time. And its not guaranteed.

I would only use Craigslist for something like a drone, and if the person was selling at a steal like over 50% off. And then make them fly it to prove it works as they stated. Wouldn't buy used stuff online from a seller if I can't see it in person.

I thought of getting a DJI drone on Craigslist, but nobody was at anything like $300 or less. Even the outdated P2 visions were still selling at $600+, which was still expensive for something used and out of date. I would only consider buying something outdated if they made it like $200 and priced it close to a cheap Brookestone drone. I dunno what these Craigslist sellers just think there are stupid people out there who don't know the price of the new ones or if they expect buyers to bail them outta of a purchase.

I was considering to buy this guy's Traxxas that included nicer chargers and 2 premium LiPo batteries that go faster than the stock included battery, but he wanted $500 and wouldn't budge on the price. I said I'll trade instead, but he only wanted cash. Then said he will put it on Ebay. It was nice, but not gonna spend $500 on a used RC car, I would only consider taking it if he did $200 to take everything. I got my drone for only $640 after taxes, plus had $14-15 left on one of the gift cards when using gift cards through a seller. So in a sense, my drone only costed $625 after taxes and it came with a free $149 DJI backpack, so I customized my own good deals without buying second hand.

I'm not going to buy 2nd hand off Craigslist to just save less than 20% and risk getting burned at $600. It's easier to find a gift card seller who is selling a large amount and taking $100 off so you can have one that's came out the store. I got lucky and found a lady with a $700 Target gift card for $600 cash, so I saved about $100. Plus Target was doing a free $149 DJI backpack deal so couldn't pass that up.

Another update. The member who sold me the nun-functional gimbal control board---Atyler34---is fighting the chargeback (reversal of charges). His argument seems to be that I agreed to buy the board. He's never replied to any of my posts or PM's about the board being no good.

I took a look at his profile. He has a decent number of posts here on PP since joining in September, but they're all for selling things. Draw your own conclusions.

I've now been ripped off for about $1200 from purchases on PP. Ticks me off something fierce.

LoL, why would you buy something used online for thousand bucks? More likely to get burned because a scammer would probably choose a thousand bucks over a few hundred.

Even when buying my $700 Target gift card for $600, I still kept my guard up to ensure I wouldn't get scammed. I took my drone to the register ready to purchase so once I verified the amount, I could give her the cash and make the purchase right away. Giving her no chance to take funds off the card by reporting it stolen or making an online purchase. But thankfully she was honest and nothing went wrong, but both of us didn't trust each other. I initially thought she was a scammer when she refused to do the transaction my way and was trying to report the card stolen by not letting me take my purchase to the register. And she kept her guard up as well, making sure my cash was legit asking the cashier to use the counterfeit machine.

Yeah. Buying from others that you don't know is very risky. Being a member here don't mean squat. I won't do it. I have many things to sell. Over the years I have bought tools new that I have not even used. They were BACKUPS just in case. When I decide to sell them...it will be cash or trade only. Oh, I always get a receipt on the item listing item and serial numbers...and all the info on the trader/seller. Take pics of them and their vehicle. If they are uncomfortable with that...run away.

LoL, why would you buy something used online for thousand bucks?

It wasn't for $1000. One purchase was $600, another for $525, and another for $70.

As for why, I've been buying things from members of forums since the 1990's, and have never been burned. I think it's because word gets around. I don't know why it's been different here.

As the ole saying goes "buyer beware" there are good guys and bad guys in both pilots and eBay. Ask a 100 questions before purchasing and get a written agreement as to condition and return policy. Used is always some sort of gamble.

I would ask them to post it on eBay and they you can buy it through there. The scam rate on eBay is probably quite a bit lower than just through email and PayPal!

It looks like the seller has been suspended from the site for this (and other?) transaction(s).

EDIT: This may not be the case. I will update with details soon.

Last edited:
Sorry Monkeyleg. I do not buy much on line for this reason. I will buy from vendors on this site with great results. It sucks that people who are supposed to have the same passion for this hobby as most of us, will screw others for a few bucks. Should come up with a rating system & a way to settle disputes.

As I said earlier, I've been buying online for almost as long as there's been online selling. I've had very few problems., but I'm 0 for 3 on PP. I've never encountered that on a forum before, and I've bought items that cost over $2000 from forum members.

As I said earlier, I've been buying online for almost as long as there's been online selling. I've had very few problems., but I'm 0 for 3 on PP. I've never encountered that on a forum before, and I've bought items that cost over $2000 from forum members.

Much like stocks, past performance does not guarantee future returns. It's a new day and age and people know quads are a hot commodity right now so we'll see a lot more scammers.

Othan1, we're seeing more sophisticated scammers. I run an online store for a living. I've had two chargebacks in the last month, meaning I've lost $1300. For online sales on expensive items, a retailer has to verify name and address and do everything possible to make sure he's not dealing with a stolen card. I did so with both transactions. I called the banks, gave them the card numbers and verified name and address, and shipped to those verified addresses.

The problem is, the criminals hacked into the banks' computers and changed the names and addresses on the accounts. I shipped to verified addresses that had been hacked. I should have been in the clear, but the banks said I was at fault, even though it was their lax security that enabled the crooks to change addresses. Banks never eat the cost of fraud. They always lay it off on the merchants. I'm out $1300.

I think @hunch is an honest player and will help you get back in the air. @Atyler34 has been suspended from the site.

Again, there is no guarantee in terms of buying from the classifieds. Everyone needs to do their own due diligence.

Othan1, we're seeing more sophisticated scammers. I run an online store for a living. I've had two chargebacks in the last month, meaning I've lost $1300. For online sales on expensive items, a retailer has to verify name and address and do everything possible to make sure he's not dealing with a stolen card. I did so with both transactions. I called the banks, gave them the card numbers and verified name and address, and shipped to those verified addresses.

The problem is, the criminals hacked into the banks' computers and changed the names and addresses on the accounts. I shipped to verified addresses that had been hacked. I should have been in the clear, but the banks said I was at fault, even though it was their lax security that enabled the crooks to change addresses. Banks never eat the cost of fraud. They always lay it off on the merchants. I'm out $1300.

This happened to me earlier in the summer.
user purchased a brand new P2V+ and i verified all the info and sent it to him/her, even requested signature so i have proof that it has been delivered and accepted by the buyer.
same person then within a month purchased another 3 P2V+'s, at the same time from town close by (both from Maryland) purchased 3 Phantoms.
two months later i get chargebacks from the bank, i spent about 20 hours on the phone between all the conversations with the bank.
the result? some "fraud prevention" lady had the "you know what" to tell me "well, look at the bright side, you'll be able to write this off next year on your taxes"

over $8k gone!!
you know what that does to a small business starting up ??

i hate scammers and criminals that do this just because they are too LAZY to find a job and make their own money.

hani, if you have multiple purchases by the same person, and signature, you should have a case to dispute the chargebacks. The problem is that the banks are just as much criminals as the crooks. That's no exaggeration. In the case of my chargebacks, the banks are flat out lying, and there's nobody to complain to. They get away with it.

There was a guy a few years ago who started a service for online merchants. Subscribing merchants could list the names and addresses of people who'd ripped them off so other merchants could check before doing sales. Lawyers killed that idea real fast.

I have my own idea of a service for online merchants dealing with scammers, but it involves baseball bats and sulfuric acid.

Reactions: hunch
LoL, why would you buy something used online for thousand bucks? More likely to get burned because a scammer would probably choose a thousand bucks over a few hundred.

Even when buying my $700 Target gift card for $600, I still kept my guard up to ensure I wouldn't get scammed. I took my drone to the register ready to purchase so once I verified the amount, I could give her the cash and make the purchase right away. Giving her no chance to take funds off the card by reporting it stolen or making an online purchase. But thankfully she was honest and nothing went wrong, but both of us didn't trust each other. I initially thought she was a scammer when she refused to do the transaction my way and was trying to report the card stolen by not letting me take my purchase to the register. And she kept her guard up as well, making sure my cash was legit asking the cashier to use the counterfeit machine.

Who would have a Target gift card of $600? Probably bought with stolen credit cards. Be very careful doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

****, trust me I tried and tried with no good results.
Even when I submitted all the paperwork with signatures, same delivery address as where the credit cards that were used for purchases were registered to and nothing.
At the end of the day merchant services provider aka the bank wins.
Good idea about the bats and acid thou lol.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20