Buying advice - P2Vplus or P2 with HD-3D

Reaction score
I was planning on buying a kit from either B&H or DSLRPros that included the P2 with the new zenmuse gimbal, 7" FPV setup with iOSD. That setup is about $2000 without a gopro, which I already have. A P2V+ is quite a bit cheaper but doesn't have a 7" fpv setup and I can't connect FPV goggles to in in the future if that's the route I decide to go. I have an old Samsung Galaxy S3 I could use for fpv

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on which to buy? Is the vision camera better/worse than a gopro? Is the gimbal any better/worse on either of them? Is the camera difficult to control while doing maneuvers using a smartphone?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!

Do yourself a favor and get a phantom 2 with either a zenmuse 2 or 3 axis gimbal. Don't buy the kits.

I am pretty bad when it comes to installing stuff, but it was really fun and gratifying.

Plus you have plenty of support here

kydan said:
Do yourself a favor and get a phantom 2 with either a zenmuse 2 or 3 axis gimbal. Don't buy the kits.

I am pretty bad when it comes to installing stuff, but it was really fun and gratifying.

Plus you have plenty of support here

Are you saying don't buy a kit cause it's more rewarding to build it myself? Typically I'd agree with you, but in this case I'm looking to get started quickly, but I want to know which will have better quality video.

jsunww said:
I was planning on buying a kit from either B&H or DSLRPros that included the P2 with the new zenmuse gimbal, 7" FPV setup with iOSD. That setup is about $2000 without a gopro, which I already have. A P2V+ is quite a bit cheaper but doesn't have a 7" fpv setup and I can't connect FPV goggles to in in the future if that's the route I decide to go. I have an old Samsung Galaxy S3 I could use for fpv

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on which to buy? Is the vision camera better/worse than a gopro? Is the gimbal any better/worse on either of them? Is the camera difficult to control while doing maneuvers using a smartphone?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!

You need to figure out

1. What you want to do in terms of photography and video. Is this for personal use, occasional sharing etc or do you want semi/professional images to publish etc.
2. The cameras are different, yet similar. Remember it's a mobile phone size sensor so cropping either won't give results anywhere near a DSLR.
3. Do you want to fly out of the box with little to no setup?
4. Do you want to be "locked in" to DJI. P2V/P2V+ means you can't move (at this time) camera or gimbal to another airframe

Only you can make the decision and once you figure out the above (following some research) you'll make a much more informed choice.

IMHO.

Out of the box flying? P2v/+

Still images? The P2 & P2v/+ are similar in performance. P2v/+ can shoot in adobe raw (DNG) format but there can also be some lag from taking the shot to having the image return on your chosen screen.

P2 can take stills AND video at the same time (depends on the setting). Resolution whilst alledgedly 2MP down on the FC200 is unoticable.

Video? P2. It offers far more in terms of settings and allows you to use the camera off the airframe for other things.

Kit vs Components? Suffice to say, if you do your research you'll find that not everyone who's bought components is an engineer. Some struggle, most don't. You don't tend to hear of all the successes because they're out there, busy flying. It's not hard to do and putting the bits together will really boost your confidence on how these things are made.

This will also help counter the lack of customer service you will receive from DJI should you ever need to email or call them. If you can buy from a local hobby shop (thus having a face to face relationship with your supplier) you'll find you've got a good first port of call for help, advice and guidance. If you rely on purchasing via the internet, there are some great suppliers there too but your own research will help you decide on who they are. If you're buying from DJI direct, their level of service stops at the sales room door. After sales service is in my opinion, dire. They have not yet developed a strong sense of putting the customer first. It may be their un-doing (I hope not).

Bmews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers