Buying advice for a newb

Reaction score
Hello all. I am Rachel from South Florida. A complete and total Newb. Recently retired and just about ready to buy myself a Phantom 2 as a retirement gift to myself. Though I have read a lot, I do have a question or two. I am tempted to go with one of the top end bundles from BH Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... black.html).

I am a long time BH customer and their service is terrific.

I guess my first question is whether or not to go with a bundle or start piecing together a bundle on my own? My other question is about using my Ipad as an FPV monitor. Any suggestions or advice on my purchase?

Thanks in advance!!

Rachel

WOW. That's some serious tech if you are just getting into the aerial photography. Good on you and you will love it!!!

How techie are you? If you buy all DJI, then everything is plug and play via the FPV HUB. On the other hand, the package is great as the vendor tests and trains you. The training is worth its weight in gold if you declare yourself as a newb. They are easy to fly - and easy to crash because confidence is builds up exponentially.

You also need to ask yourself if you need the Bluetooth Ground station. The BT GS is 2 way communication for programmable way point flying.. I don't own it or use it as I don't trust the autopilot. I'm 99% on the sticks unless the RC battery dies.

And the Ipad wont be able to be used as FPV unless you step-up to a $1000+ lightbridge system.

There is a cheaper alternative that offers the same functionality - A hybrid P2 Vision Plus with H33D and gopro.

You might also want to look at the Phantom 2 Vision + which offers a complete, ready to go, out of the box solution without the tech tinkering necessary with the plain Phantom 2.

Mako79 said:
WOW. That's some serious tech if you are just getting into the aerial photography.......

There is a cheaper alternative that offers the same functionality - A hybrid P2 Vision Plus with H33D and gopro.

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I looked at the Vision+ and I really prefer the Hero4 camera. I also do not own a cellphone and don't really want one. That is why I was looking at my Ipad. If I could locate the hybrid system you mention and maybe buy a smartphone with no service to serve as a monitor or interface then I might consider that option. Any suggestions?

buy a hubsan x4 for 50 bucks on amazon. learn how to fly one of those, and then buy a phantom.

RachelAnne said:
Hi! Thanks for the reply. I looked at the Vision+ and I really prefer the Hero4 camera. I also do not own a cellphone and don't really want one. That is why I was looking at my Ipad. If I could locate the hybrid system you mention and maybe buy a smartphone with no service to serve as a monitor or interface then I might consider that option. Any suggestions?

You're absolutely right the Hero 4 is a much better camera platform than either the Vision series cameras or even the new Inspire 1.

Adding live FPV feed to your P2+H3-3D bundle is pretty easy these days as long as you can turn a few screws and plug in some cables... you will indeed have to open up the Phantom to make some connections, but there are plug and play cables which make it all easy.
Have you found the "lowest prices on FPV components" stickythread yet? lots of good info and links in there including the PnP cables. You can build an entire (standard def) FPV system including a nice little 7" display (which you can mount to your RC) with a battery and receiver built in for under $400 including premium antennas... cheaper than an iPad... most folks are happy with standard def FPV so you can frame your shots, then you edit the high def footage later.

There IS the DJI Lightbridge system which will transmit HD FPV back and you could use something like an ipad... but honestly it's way more complicated and expensive and unless you NEED HD FPV for some specific reason, it's just pointlessly expensive.

I also bought my P2/H3-3D from B&H but I wouldn't recommend their full FPV kits for a few reasons... one is simply price (you can do better, cheaper) and the fact that they use all DJI equipment (the DJI AVL58 transmitter and FPV HUB) which honestly is the worst option. You can definitely build a lighter, cheaper, better performing system yourself with minimal effort. We'll be happy to help you

landed said:
the new inspire 1 has comparable 4k and 25fps just like the hero 4 black - so I am keen to see the quality comparisons. Its really hard to tell 4k.

actually the Hero 4 black does 30fps 4K... ok fine so 25 vs 30fps isn't that much of an advantage. Have you checked out the lower bitrates?

Hero 4: 2.7K @ 48-50fps Inspire: (no equivalent listed)
Hero 4: 1080p @ 120fps Inspire: 1080p @ 60fps

I don't even care about 4k right now, there aren't enough devices out there and I don't have one. The Hero 4 simply kills all other cameras in it's class.

RachelAnne said:
Hello all. I am Rachel from South Florida. A complete and total Newb. Recently retired and just about ready to buy myself a Phantom 2 as a retirement gift to myself. Though I have read a lot, I do have a question or two. I am tempted to go with one of the top end bundles from BH Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... black.html).

I am a long time BH customer and their service is terrific.

I guess my first question is whether or not to go with a bundle or start piecing together a bundle on my own? My other question is about using my Ipad as an FPV monitor. Any suggestions or advice on my purchase?

Thanks in advance!!

Rachel

Check your PM left a message.

RachelAnne said:
Mako79 said:
WOW. That's some serious tech if you are just getting into the aerial photography.......

OK...
The guys here discovered it. Its basically re-routing a wifi module cable and plugging in a longer zenmuse cable that come standard in the P2.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 815&page=6

No soldering is required.
And sorry... I don't have pics to help.

Buy a phantom vision plus with the 2.1 ver ESCs.

Disconnect the grey cables that come from the phantom down to the gimbal board. Sell the camera as new ($600-$800 on ebay) and use that money to purchase a $400 H3-3D and a $10 part 3 Phantom cable pack. In this pack is the 15-18cm Zenmuse cable.

Open up phantom > slit the stickers on the arm with a craft knife. Use type zero screw driver for the 4 tiny screws on the end of each arm, Careful not to fray them. Remove 3 hex screws on each arm (not the motor ones, 4 in a square). Carefully lift, and unplug the GPS 4 pin (if it comes out easily, get stick tape and wrap around the connector so it sits in more firm).

Now pull the 3 cables from gimbal board up and split them. When they a splitted, take the largest one connected to the wifi module and plug that into the CAM port. The other 2 can be disconnected (you can leave them in there if you want) as they are now no longer used. Disconnect the cable in the zenmuse port and connect your 15cm zemmuse cable and plug that in and feed it down the leg. You can run that directly to the H3-3D or plug that into the interference board supplied.

This is a good system as it still gives you 2 way coms and a digital FPV feed to IOS and Android devices. It works fine with android. On IOS, you need to enable ground station, swipe to it and back to get FPV working.
The only limitation is that you need to remember to press record before flight. Make sure you have OSD enabled on your gopro so you can see the red record button.

Also, you can still take pictures. Turn the protunes off, set to 1080p@30fps and enable Simultaneous video and stills. It will take more than decent 7mpx pics.

And finally, on the P2 2.4Ghz system, it was advised that the gopro wifi must be OFF. The gopro 2.4 wifi would conflict and cause flyaways. The Vision plus system is however a 5.8GHz and therefor is not affected. So technically you can run the GOPRO app on another smart device and control settings and frame shots. You need to be within the GOpro's wifi's realistic range of 100ft or less.

And finally finally, the H3-3d "1.1" side port usb will work with the Gopro 4 with modifications. You will need to counter balance and find neutral balance with coins and you will need to either pad up or dremel the H3-3d so that the option button isn't triggered during flight.

I hope that helps.. pics to come when I open the Hybrid next...

Check your PM left a message.[/quote]

Thanks Jason. I had read the pm and the reminder but am not yet permitted to send a pm. I really appreciated the excellent info but was not sure how to let you know!

Wow! Thanks so much for the info. I will start looking in to all of this to be sure I understand it all and that I could handle this by myself.

Rachel

I just need to know why don't you want a cell phone? Are you even against regular non smart phones, like a flip phone?

Yep! I hate the idea of carrying around a phone and I won't pay $100/month for something I will turn off and leave in a drawer for months at a time. Don't like them and will not provide an avenue for telemarketers to intrude on my privacy. I realize that there is a no call list but we all know how well that works.

RachelAnne said:
Yep! I hate the idea of carrying around a phone and I won't pay $100/month for something I will turn off and leave in a drawer for months at a time. Don't like them and will not provide an avenue for telemarketers to intrude on my privacy. I realize that there is a no call list but we all know how well that works.

I do pay less then that per month for mine but I take it with me when i'm out on the road and then it never on. When I ran a business i was on it almost most 24/7 and had carry an extra 12 volt battery just to keep the **** thing charged. Happy those days are behind me but having one could save your life or a long walk in the middle of nowhere.

At one time I thought about having one for backpacking. However, since there are virtually no cell towers in remote mountainous areas, many backpackers make do with legally carried firearms and filing trip plans with the park Rangers.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj