Buying a vision , questions.

Mori55 said:
I really like the idea of using my iPhone or tablet , it's simple. And I do you a 450 with a möbius. I didn't like my gopro silver , it was to buggy for me.
Now on RC groups I'm hearing rumors of a vision+ . Supposed to have a dji 2 or 3 axis gimbal. Now my delema is do get the vision now or wait ? Is the vision going to be just the same except for the gimbal? Or is the whole vision changed. Would this be something existing owners could upgrade to? A lot of decisions to make.
Not an expert on gopros by any means but I know someone who is an outside broadcast cameraman for the BBC and he reckons the new generation gopros are a significant step up in picture quality (no idea where your silver one sits in the evolution of the camera) the . I know exactly what you mean about should I wait. I was just about to jump ship and join the others who have moved from the PV2 to a P2 but now with so many developments on the close horizon I am going to wait and see. All I want is a flying rx100 with ground control and fpv and there is the outside possibility that the new rotor pixel gimbal might be capable of doing it but I have no idea how they would get fpv with it. The Droneexpert route is expensive and I have yet to see/read any reports.

Dji must be aware of all the criticism of the FC200 so it would not surprise me that the rumoured new model might also have a better camera - they would be able to use similar circuitry/software and just change the lens and sensor.

I enjoy my phantom vision and have some great photos. The phantom does everything I need it to and it works flawlessly. Based on that, I recommend getting one now and start enjoying it instead of waiting for a new model that may or may not come out. Life is short so enjoy.

Pull_Up said:
Who knows. As you sound conflicted then maybe best to wait a couple of months and see what, if anything, appears from DJI. By then there might be rumours of a Vision 4... ;)

Like computers, phones, tablets, etc... There's never a perfect time to jump in. If there's a definite upshift in technology on the near horizon, you may want to wait for it in order to have it, or wait for it in order to save money on the existing tech. Other than that... :roll: :roll: :roll: IMHO

-slinger

Yeah, my philosophy with tech is that if I like it, I can afford it, I want it now not later and I am happy with the spec/performance then I will buy - without real insider knowledge you don't know if an upgraded version is being released tomorrow or in 6 months so I make peace with that and enjoy my new toys!

Ok , I ordered one from B&H. I loaded the vision app, and wondered what camera settings should I use in the App.

OK, my advice would be... BEFORE you slap any stickers on it and BEFORE you attempt to fly it (resist the temptation!), take some photos with it. Examine closely for sharpness across the image. If you're not happy with the results, contact B&H straight away. Some P2V cameras are acceptable, some are, shall we say, acceptable if you're not too picky, and some are just plain awful. It seems that it's the luck of the draw I'm afraid and it's all down to quality control.

Mori55 you might want to print out the Vision manual from DJI web site. Also look on this forum for pre-flight check lists to take with you on the first few flights. It helped me during first nervous flights.

Here in the desert where I fly its always rock surface so rotor guards have saved my rotors a few times.

I bought a tool case from Home Depot that has wheels built into the case. Vision with rotor guards won't fit so I use velcro straps to secure it to top of case. Works good. Plenty of room for all other acceseries and your favorite beverages.

Also you may want to buy or make a sun shade for your monitor.

Mori55 said:
Ok thanks I'll check it out. Especially around the edges ?
Even on a good example, the edges are going to be soft relative to the centre of the image purely by virtue of the nature of the lens (extreme wide angle, cheaply made); it's more often to one side, from the third to the edge, but some (like the one I returned) are out of focus all over, and noisy too.

See this thread http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6890&hilit=dng+comparison. My first post shows how bad mine was (and there are several other examples).

'FSJ Guy' refocused his lens himself and his example somewhere in that thread will show you how good it can be.

What's post proccessing mean? I probally going to put mi pics on my iPad to look at. Really don't know much a photos.

Well if use a iPad what could I use with it? I really dont need anything expensive for playing around.

I've only had my P2V a couple of weeks.

Got an extra battery, extra set of props and a 32gig micro-card with mine from Atlanta Hobby. Picked up a micro-card reader from BestBuy for about $15.00.

I'm in the tech industry and we have a saying: You will regret any hardware purchase
There will be something better than the P2V out sometime. Maybe next week, next month, 6 months. Wait for that or get your toy now and play with it. Does the P2V meet your needs? If you're a pro photographer probably not. If you're an experienced RC guy that loves to solder and build, probably not. Just wanna fly for 15+ mins and take some snapshots and home movies? It's all you!

Here's my advice:
Watch all the training videos with that Colin guy - find them on Youtube or someplace. They walk you thru unboxing the P2V, charging the batteries, first flight, calibration, etc. Now watch them again. All of them.

Get you unit on a dark rainy windy night so you won't rush into something stupid. Charge the batteries, charge the wifi repeater. Put the stickers on your P2V. Attach it to your computer and download the software from DJI to make sure all the firmware is updated. (mine was all up to date). While you have it powered up open your smartphone app and snap a couple of pictures of your kitchen table, then a video of you carrying it around your house.

Watch the videos one more time, go to bed.

On the first nice (wind < 5mph) find a nice open field with no crowds (saturday morning at the middle school football field worked for me). Go thru the preflight checklist step by step. WAIT for green solid LEDS. It's only 60 seconds. It feels like hours.

On your first takeoff you gotta give it a lot of gas (press forward a lot) until you are up about 10 feet. Remember to press "RECORD" on your smartphone. go thru controls very slowly, forward, back, right, left. Get brave and spin it. Get confused and spin it back (LOL). make sure it hovers nicely, should only drift a foot or two.

All this, you've been up in the air about 3 minutes! you've got 15 more minutes to practice.

Remember it's like a boat - you don't really have brakes. when you go right and stop it will still go right for a little bit. Same with left, forward, etc. Especially true with DOWN!

After your first flight get foolish/brave and send it up about 250 feet and realize you can hardly see it, panic, then slowly bring it back down. Get more brave/foolish!

Have fun. Look at the videos and enjoy.

Good luck!

Tom (8 flights into my P2V and loving every minute)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj