buy phantom or wait for the phantom vision?

romeoch said:
I got to fly a Vision last week and here is what I can say:

- The Vision will be great for people who enjoy taking aerial photography
- The Vision will not be as much liked (in my opinion) by people who like to do videos; no stabilization gimbal
- The camera appears to be superior to the GoPro. Less wide-angle, shooting at 1080 and 14 MP (also in RAW).
- Battery is one big "brick" which slides in and snaps into place. No more connecting cables. Flight time: 20-25 minutes!
- Blades are very nicely designed and powerful. No more prop-nuts.
- High powered WiFi antennas send live camera feed to IOS and Android device
- Various additional "safety" options via the IOS and Android device; "radar" function, which brings up a radar grid showing you where the Vision is compared to your position. Submission of last known coordinates in case of an unplanned landing.
- Radio has been redesigned. Stick movement feels like that of a more professional radio, like a Spectrum.
- Release date: 30-60 days

Now DJI will be focusing on some really interesting options later next year.

I got to see a Vision this week up close. Pretty excited about the new battery. It has a built in "tester" feature - push a button to instantly see how much power, it lights up with green indicators. Battery is HUGE and will give us some great flight times. I'm guess the batteries are going to be pretty expensive, and proprietary from DJI only. I've had issues with aftermarket batteries and trying to jam all the wires into my Phantom. This obviously won't be an issue anymore. The battery just slides in and "clicks in". Can't wait to get mine!

I'm quite excited by this. I'm sure DJI's spares availability will let it down initially though.
I bet the batteries will be impossible to find at first...Oh, and the props.

I don't think it will take too long. I was browsing eBay tonight and noticed that there is now cw and ccw threaded plastic nuts (in white and black) for a few dollars. If there is a market for it, and someone in chine is manufacturing them, it won't take long for generics to come thru

The camera on the vision will not take the place of a gimbal mounted camera. The Vision's camera is for FPV mostly. I got a Phantom a few weeks ago as my first RC ever. I have pretty much taken it apart and modified it for a variety of missions. Mostly I want to do photography and video. I realized that what I really should have gotten was the F550.

Branko said:
I really want a phantom.

2 problems. 1- Waiting for the Vision 2 - Fly away issues

What to do?

Any news on when the Vision will be available?
I have never had a fly away. I do have the GPS GTU10 Garmin.

Driffill said:
I don't think it will take too long. I was browsing eBay tonight and noticed that there is now cw and ccw threaded plastic nuts (in white and black) for a few dollars. If there is a market for it, and someone in chine is manufacturing them, it won't take long for generics to come thru
The vision will not take nuts, the props screw on with out nuts.

romeoch said:
I got to fly a Vision last week and here is what I can say:

- The Vision will be great for people who enjoy taking aerial photography
- The Vision will not be as much liked (in my opinion) by people who like to do videos; no stabilization gimbal
- The camera appears to be superior to the GoPro. Less wide-angle, shooting at 1080 and 14 MP (also in RAW).
- Battery is one big "brick" which slides in and snaps into place. No more connecting cables. Flight time: 20-25 minutes!
- Blades are very nicely designed and powerful. No more prop-nuts.
- High powered WiFi antennas send live camera feed to IOS and Android device
- Various additional "safety" options via the IOS and Android device; "radar" function, which brings up a radar grid showing you where the Vision is compared to your position. Submission of last known coordinates in case of an unplanned landing.
- Radio has been redesigned. Stick movement feels like that of a more professional radio, like a Spectrum.
- Release date: 30-60 days

Now DJI will be focusing on some really interesting options later next year.

I've been on the fence about what quad copter to upgrade to (was leaning towards the ArduCopter 3DR-C), but after reading this am cautiously optimistic that the Vision may be best for my specific needs. Thanks.

I'd love to see a full resolution JPEG taken with the Vision; hard to believe it will be better than the GoPro. I'd appreciate getting such a JPEG if one is available (just PM me and I'll send you my normal email address).

Can you trigger the Vision camera from your controller, or do you need to use an intervalometer like with the GoPro?

Also, will the Vision show you the battery strength?

I have read a few other review's of the new Phantom vision and they have been with the camera, if you have a phantom and a Hero 3 Black stay with what you have, the camera on the Vision let's it down, as we all know there are not many, if any, that can do what the Hero can do, this could be why film and television use them. I leave the result to you as it is your money, but just ask around the forum's and any flying site's what they prefer, this is what we did when flying helicopters and planes. Remember the best advice usually come's from the people that are using it now. Ian

chopperflyer said:
I have read a few other review's of the new Phantom vision and they have been with the camera, if you have a phantom and a Hero 3 Black stay with what you have, the camera on the Vision let's it down, as we all know there are not many, if any, that can do what the Hero can do, this could be why film and television use them. I leave the result to you as it is your money, but just ask around the forum's and any flying site's what they prefer, this is what we did when flying helicopters and planes. Remember the best advice usually come's from the people that are using it now. Ian

no, no, no.

vision be best. listen to the peoples!

FrankB said:
Can you trigger the Vision camera from your controller, or do you need to use an intervalometer like with the GoPro?

Also, will the Vision show you the battery strength?

You record or take pics via the iphone android app, plenty of vision vids on youtube now.

Sent from a GS4 using tapacrap

From looking at all the angles of the Vision, it appears that you might be able to pop the gromets, and put another camera/ gimbol on it. We will have to see, since I got one coming.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik