buy phantom or wait for the phantom vision?

Reaction score
hi all I was just about to buy a phantom and all the fpv gear to go with it.but them I read about the phantom vision!the only problem I have with the vision is the wifi range is there any way of boosting it? i will use an ipad I really want around 1.5km range.or do I just buy the old phantom and fpv gear :? or wait for the vision ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.any help be great

I don't think either one are really suited for long range fpv. By the time you get all the equipment on the Phantom, weight
reduces flight time to where line of sight flying is probably recommended.
The Vision will have a larger battery capacity, but still you'll be looking at around eight minutes.
It's designed with line of sight flying in mind.

You may wish to check out the FW450, or FW550 and a UHF system for the range you want.

The vision will have one advantage of supposedly fitting a larger capacity battery, though if your wanting 1.5km range I dont think that will be possible with the stock radio or the vision FPV. You can still have a lot of fun with FPV inside 800m which I am finding about the limit for DJI radio but my FPV range is better then what I get out of the stock radio. I lost control at 880m yet my video was fine with LOS to the phantom. I have flow to just under 1km without FPV earlier and didn't lose radio reception but your taking a risk much beyond 800m on the DJI radio. I will get a Futaba radio soon but I still wont be venturing too much further then I do now it will just be a little safer.

The vision is just designed for short range FPV I think and with 2.4 video and 5.8 I wonder what sort of range they will be getting. You may be better off just getting a 450 and your own FPV setup, this way you can build it for whatever you need without limitations that the phantom has including the strange video setup in the vision.

I really want a phantom.

2 problems. 1- Waiting for the Vision 2 - Fly away issues

What to do?

Any news on when the Vision will be available?

I was ready to pull the trigger on buying a phantom via B&Hphoto. And then I find the new Vision model. I read it was coming out in August and now rumors of November. Does anyone have an answer - bump?

For now anyway, I think I prefer the original Phantom and a Hero3. The camera on the Vision is a one-trick-pony. At least with the GoPro, you can take it off and use it for other sports.

Here's an example: WARNING - flying, but not Phantom flying . . . can't do this with a "Vision"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRf1JXZCDzM

bumper

Based on the specs, the Phantom Vision doesn't have the same camera specs as a GoPro. Consequently, it's not going to have the same quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bumper - that is a cool video. You should edit in some pink floyd. Be sick.

I don't question the go pro camera - I have the 3 in black. I just read over the vision specs and the phantom looks (appears) to have some improvements over the gen1 phantom. That's why I am holding off buying.

Anyone with a firm release date for the vision?

I think the VIsion is a great "OPTION" for some. I would think most here on these boards are a bit more advanced and want to push the Phantom further (No pun intended).

The Vision IMO is really for a soft user not a power user. Thats not taking anything away from it..at the end of the day it's still a Phantom..you just dont have alternate option for camera and gimbal.

And i would not get to excited the the BIGGER battery....i assume it is not bigger with the intent to add use time but to compensate for the camera being part of the "RTF" idea.

eckoner said:
I think the VIsion is a great "OPTION" for some. I would think most here on these boards are a bit more advanced and want to push the Phantom further (No pun intended).

The Vision IMO is really for a soft user not a power user. Thats not taking anything away from it..at the end of the day it's still a Phantom..you just dont have alternate option for camera and gimbal.

I totally agree,. the Vision is a step in the right direction if you're looking for a RTF aerial photography package,. but definitely a step backwards if you intend to shoot good looking video. - that would require them coming out with Vision model that incorporated the Zenmuse gimbal, but then that would be absurdly overpriced compared to just modifying an existing Phantom or F450, etc.

I just called Atlanta Hobby 678-513-4450 a few minutes ago and I was told that the Phantom Vision will be coming out mid to late September 2013. I am trying to be patient.

flasharps said:
I highly doubt that the vision camera will be able to match up to the GoPro quality!

You are right there Brother. I know some unlucky guys have issues with their gopros but the truth is there is Nothing out there right now which matches it's performance, especially given it's size. I have yet to see a genuine video from a Vision camera but I'm afraid it'll be in the same performance category as a hundred other HD cameras from China :(

marcus_canada said:
flasharps said:
I highly doubt that the vision camera will be able to match up to the GoPro quality!

You are right there Brother. I know some unlucky guys have issues with their gopros but the truth is there is Nothing out there right now which matches it's performance, especially given it's size. I have yet to see a genuine video from a Vision camera but I'm afraid it'll be in the same performance category as a hundred other HD cameras from China :(

Yes! I do real estate photography/videography and just added the phantom and go pro 3 to my arsenal. To be able to shoot at 2.7K is awesome!!!! I stayed at Firmware 2.13 and just enabled the gimbal feature. Didn't mess with anything else. The phantom has been rock solid with no issues. I am staying where I'm at!! :)

I've used the gopro a lot for amazing underwater and time exposure shots. Inside its plastic box it is bulletproof and a great second camera kayaking, sports, skiing etc. I probably use mine more off the Phantom than on it. I think Phantom is making the Vision super entry level, for ex Parrot AR types who want to try the next challenge. That's cool, but If you are thinking seriously about going quad, I would keep your new Phantom stock and adapt it for your needs rather than buy an all in one where you are stuck with extra weight, features you may not want and a fixed purpose camera.

But what if you just want to shoot good quality JPEG's- will the Vision allow that to be done more efficiently compared to the Phantom/GoPro system with FPV?

For this to be of interest to me, I'd want the Vision to produce better quality JPEG's compared to the GoPro and also have a lens that produces less of a fish eye effect.

I got to fly a Vision last week and here is what I can say:

- The Vision will be great for people who enjoy taking aerial photography
- The Vision will not be as much liked (in my opinion) by people who like to do videos; no stabilization gimbal
- The camera appears to be superior to the GoPro. Less wide-angle, shooting at 1080 and 14 MP (also in RAW).
- Battery is one big "brick" which slides in and snaps into place. No more connecting cables. Flight time: 20-25 minutes!
- Blades are very nicely designed and powerful. No more prop-nuts.
- High powered WiFi antennas send live camera feed to IOS and Android device
- Various additional "safety" options via the IOS and Android device; "radar" function, which brings up a radar grid showing you where the Vision is compared to your position. Submission of last known coordinates in case of an unplanned landing.
- Radio has been redesigned. Stick movement feels like that of a more professional radio, like a Spectrum.
- Release date: 30-60 days

Now DJI will be focusing on some really interesting options later next year.

romeoch said:
I got to fly a Vision last week and here is what I can say:

- The Vision will be great for people who enjoy taking aerial photography
- The Vision will not be as much liked (in my opinion) by people who like to do videos; no stabilization gimbal
- The camera appears to be superior to the GoPro. Less wide-angle, shooting at 1080 and 14 MP (also in RAW).
- Battery is one big "brick" which slides in and snaps into place. No more connecting cables. Flight time: 20-25 minutes!
- Blades are very nicely designed and powerful. No more prop-nuts.
- High powered WiFi antennas send live camera feed to IOS and Android device
- Various additional "safety" options via the IOS and Android device; "radar" function, which brings up a radar grid showing you where the Vision is compared to your position. Submission of last known coordinates in case of an unplanned landing.
- Radio has been redesigned. Stick movement feels like that of a more professional radio, like a Spectrum.
- Release date: 30-60 days

Now DJI will be focusing on some really interesting options later next year.

Thanks for heads up, I'm pretty excited about the long flight times. The issue I see is that the batteries will now be proprietary and cost more. Won't just be able to go to Hobby King and pick up a $12 battery.

eckoner said:

And i would not get to excited the the BIGGER battery....i assume it is not bigger with the intent to add use time but to compensate for the camera being part of the "RTF" idea.
Yes, the Phantom is not a Vision. The vision is not going to be anything you want to upgrade like the Phantom. Wrong control freq and no gimbal.

I am new to every square cm of multicopter. I have zip. I have looked at quad, hexa and octo. DYI, RTF and ARF. I have zero experience so feel that a flight simulator is the place to start -- no expense after a crash. Problem is, which one is the better of the other.

My desire is to do aerial videography and FPV so the Phantom Vision looks really good. I just wish I could find a price on it as I may be able to build for less and have more flexibility in what I want.

Either way I have a 600 gram video camera to send aloft and I am sure a quad won't do it so that is what moved me onto the F550.

In the meantime, I need to learn to fly so RealFlight or Phoneix Pro is where I should start. At least I should buy one that includes a transmitter so I won't need to buy one when I do go aloft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31