Buy Phantom 2 or Not?

Reaction score
Greeting everyone, new here as you can see.
I'm not new to drones, been doing the Parrot and Syma stuff.
I have an opportunity to pick a Phantom 2 ver. 2 Zenmuse H43D for under $350. I know we are all the way up to the P4, which I admit I know next to zero about. But I have always been cautious about buying toys with everything integrated, I like modular designs better. I own a hero in addition to other sports cameras.

Your advice its greatly appreciated.

A good deal, make sure it flies and all the video gear works, check for any sign of damage and shell cracks etc etc before paying up. As for parrot and Syma they are kids toys compared to the phantom so your on the right path, give it 6 months of flying and you will be ready to move up to the P4, should you actually want to that is ;)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

How much is a used P3Pro?
I would keep the Gopro for ground work and P3 for aerials.

Thanks crash1sttime, appreciate you taking time out to respond. Had it been a P3, I would not have asked at all.
The P2 is brand new in the box from a retailer. Just concerned about support and parts since DJI discontinued the model.

I have been thinking about moving up for a while, but have several issues creep up over the past year, had to use the money being set aside to help with those. The cost of this P2 is slightly higher than a Parrot, so temptation kicks in.

Great advice on purchasing used, kind of going over a used car.

Agree, the Parrot's are more like a toy, but they got me in the hobby and my daughter enjoyed the videos I made for her. The Syma stuff was more for her.

Reactions: crash1sttime
I have a P2 with the H3-3D gimbal and it is a lot of fun. Way more so than my Parrot. I just don't like using a tablet or phone for navigating the aircraft. Not to mention, your video will be way more stable. Having said that, I also have a Phantom 3 Pro as well. I use it the most but I still pull out the Phantom 2 as it is a little different flying experience. I added a video transmitter but not the iOSD module so it is a little more of a manual process. I'll hang on to her for a backup and the occasional change of pace. As you also stated, it is more of a modular option which gives you the freedom of adding features and components that add value at your own discretion.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

cyberthingy,
appreciate your input. Agree, having to fly with the iPad was not so easy. Reason why I got the easier to control Syma. My daughter could play with it without crashing the more expensive and harder to control Parrot.

Interesting point you make on the P2 vs the P3 flying. Care to elaborate a little?

cyberthingy,
appreciate your input. Agree, having to fly with the iPad was not so easy. Reason why I got the easier to control Syma. My daughter could play with it without crashing the more expensive and harder to control Parrot.

Interesting point you make on the P2 vs the P3 flying. Care to elaborate a little?

I guess from my perspective, the P2 I have does not benefit from some of the automation from a pilot app such as DJI Go. It is essentially a little more of a manual flying process. If I put it into Atti mode it also seems to be slightly more aggressive than the P3 but not by a lot. You of course have auto return to home if you lose signal or low battery but other than that you are on your own. Overall the P3 is more stable and refined. You have complete control of the camera whereas on the P2 I have to start the recording or photo mode before I begin my flight. I guess sometimes I just like having to rely on my own flying skills rather than having complete automation. Maybe I'm a little weird. I just like having both options. Maybe another way to put it is that an aircraft like the P3 can make you lazy because it works so well whereas the P2 requires me to be more attentive to my battery status, flying time, flight envelope and surroundings.

Thanks crash1sttime, appreciate you taking time out to respond. Had it been a P3, I would not have asked at all.
The P2 is brand new in the box from a retailer. Just concerned about support and parts since DJI discontinued the model.

Loads of parts available for the P2 on eBay, I've crashed mine twice ( well not crashed just had a couple of quirks) and eBay is a great place to get spares for it. Including new zen gimbals.

No support though from DJI but you don't need DJI when you have phantompilots.

Loads of parts available for the P2 on eBay, I've crashed mine twice ( well not crashed just had a couple of quirks) and eBay is a great place to get spares for it. Including new zen gimbals.

No support though from DJI but you don't need DJI when you have phantompilots.

My 18 month old P2 developed a motor/ESC issue. Not only did DJI in Holland replace all the motors & ESC but the shell as well. But them charged a big fat ZERO! And free shipping as well both ways. So well pleased for their current support for an old model!

Reactions: crash1sttime
My 18 month old P2 developed a motor/ESC issue. Not only did DJI in Holland replace all the motors & ESC but the shell as well. But them charged a big fat ZERO! And free shipping as well both ways. So well pleased for their current support for an old model!
Really suprised to hear that, but then DJI have only stopped supporting the P2 since about Xmas time i think so yours may have been still warrantable, dont be suprised though if DJI tell you politely to go away next time. ;)

cyberthingy,
thanks for the enlightening response. I do like some manual control, letting the darn thing do everything for you, takes the fun away.

crash1sttime,
thanks, good to know parts are available.

fly-catchers,
thanks for your input, I hope I don't need send it in for repairs.

Thanks to all for the feedback, because of your advice, I picked it up, so I now own a P2. Now I have to figure out where to fly this thing, I'm surrounded by airports. Closest one is two miles away from the house.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.