Buy local or on-line?

Reaction score
I’ve been flying a P2 for almost 2 years. I’ve had a few minor crashes that I repaired myself because it was easy and spare parts were readily available.

I’m thinking of getting a P3 or I1 and understand that for either product, they have to be sent back to DJI for repair. Possible exceptions are prop replacement and maybe a few other very minor repairs (but not sure).

I thought if I purchased the P3 or I1 through a local DJI authorized retail store, that I could have them do the repairs within a few days, but understand that even they return the UAVs to DJI.

Given the 1-2 month DJI repair turn around time I hear about discussed on this forum and questionable customer service, I wonder if there is any advantage to a local retail purchase over an on-line purchase. I don't need helping learning to fly, this is all about help when/if I need a repair or I have a FLY AWAY. Are they just going to tell me to return it to DJI?

In case it matters, there are 2 DJI retails store in San Diego where I am located.

Rich

If I had a Hobby shop near me that's where I would go just to support a local business but that's just me .

Reactions: BlackHawk388
I was lucky enough to have the best of both worlds. Bought my P3A on Amazon from a shop local to me, then went in and picked up in person. Buying through Amazon, I didn't get charged sales tax, even though it was a local store.

I'm on the fence. I like doing local business but when it comes to warranty their is no question since I bought it from DJI and it have the paperwork from them. It seems there are very few and I repeat very few local shops that can do authorized warranty work so it goes back to DJI regardless.

Personally, if I had a local shop who had the ability to repair or replace an item of this cost, I'd use them without question as long as they were a reputable store.

richparry, since you live in the US, it would be best to buy from an authorized DJI dealer in the US who has Phantoms in stock. You can find many authorized DJI dealers here:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/Available

Not all authorized DJI dealers do repair work. For those who do, they'll work on your Phantom even if you did not purchase it from them. It looks like most Phantoms are being sent back to DJI for repair, so there might not be too much benefit to setting up a local relationship for repair reasons only.

As the OP of this thread, I should have been clearer, sorry. My question was not about money (cost) and it was not about supporting the local retail store. It was about "repair turn around". My question was really do I always have to wait 6-8 weeks for a major repair? I think I'll just go ask the local store. I'll ask the hypothetical questions
1) If I have a FLY AWAY, what can you do to support me
2) If I crash my P3 and the camera is a total loss, how long is the repair?

Thanks to all that replied. I'll try to add to this thread after visiting the local store and asking

thanks,
Rich

1) If I have a FLY AWAY, what can you do to support me
You'll need to send your unit to DJI. If you cannot find it, they are not going to cover even the small percentage of the cost that was covered in the cases where the fly-aways were legit. Keep in mind that most fly-aways are caused by pilot error.

2) If I crash my P3 and the camera is a total loss, how long is the repair?
If they have the camera in stock, it'll probably take a local shop days to swap it out. It's going to be on your dime though. You could also purchase a camera and swap it out yourself.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj