Busting Phantom TX

Reaction score
Hi

Currently I am using an immersion VTX 250MW for FPV that is outperforming the signal of the stock phantom stock TX. Is anybody busting somehow the Phantom TX to increase the range. I am aware one option will be to change the TX and RX to use a better RC but I do not feel ready to do it.

Anybody sharing experience will be much appreciated.

Colombus said:
Hi

...... I am aware one option will be to change the TX and RX to use a better RC but I do not feel ready to do it.

Why not? It will take you longer to unscrew the lid of the Phantom than it will to put an aftermarket D-Bus Rx in there. Only two plugs to connect (one into the Naza, the other end into the RX) and two screw to undo to rip the old receiver out (which is a piece of junk to be fair).

Total time to do the entire thing...... 15 mins tops (and that's taking things VERY slow and being ultra careful)

I'm also considering this course-my concerns are the involvement of stock Tx being a factor in fly aways.

The actual mechanics of the switch, as outlined above, is fairly basic.OK

My worry is the setting up of the new Tx. It looks pretty 'grown up' stuff :?

discv said:
I'm also considering this course-my concerns are the involvement of stock Tx being a factor in fly aways.

There's a set of videos on YouTube that will walk you through the setup of the Futaba T8J. Not sure about the Speltrum radios, though.

I had my T8J up and running in 30 minutes (RX install and TX setup).

LJ35 said:
discv said:

There's a set of videos on YouTube that will walk you through the setup of the Futaba T8J. Not sure about the Speltrum radios, though.

I had my T8J up and running in 30 minutes (RX install and TX setup).

I agree - I am used to flying collective pitch heli's for years so I am no stranger to different radio set ups and dual rates/exponential settings and mixes etc but.................... really swapping over the Phantom RX for the T8J is a doddle... HONESTLY. Even for a novice.

The mechanics of swapping the hardware is VERY easy - like I said, 2 screws to remove the old RX and one wire with a plug on each end - that's the install done!

Setting up the TX can look a bit much but I have looked through the YouTube set up videos and as long as you follow these videos carefully you wont go wrong.

The good thing is you can check all your settings in the Naza assist software and make sure that all the stick/switch inputs are doing what they should before you even go out side and fly !!

Thank you guys for your info and I believe this is the way I will eventually go. I am interested anyway if someone has experience modding Phantom tx to bust the range.

discv said:

It's not hard to do the switch to a F8J

Colombus said:
I cannot believe nobody has done any improvement to the stock TX to improve range.

Anybody wanting to share?

The built in RX is pretty tiny and the system all together is fairly rated at 300m. I have pushed it quite a bit further but its a bit risky and have just recently upgraded to a futaba radio. Instantly got some more range flyingto 1.3km on an early test but I had some issues with the way my FPV was mounted and it was pretty much shielding the TX antenna in carbon fiber so that couldnt be good for range plus I could only use the antenna pointing straight ahead which is the worst for range. I have since modified my monitor mount and the antenna is no longer obstructed so it should be able to go quite a bit further now.

It has been done, someone on another forum changed out the antenna's with some pretty fancy homebuilt one's. Problem is, if you don't have the proper equipment to calibrate them, then you'll be running in circles.

Like everybody else, to get better range, the Futaba T8J is the best on a budget and beats out trying to boost the range on the stock radio.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik