Burning Man 2014

Reaction score
I tried a search here and I don't see any videos posted from Burning Man. I just watched this one from 2013 which gives one an idea of what ttitd looks like. I think the man looks a little small compared to previous years, and the film could have shown places like center camp which is really a community center and quite visual. I also would love to do a night video and record the real sounds of Burning Man to overlay over the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ThTb6iffA

jodaddy23 said:
y does it say 2013 ?

It has not happened yet this year. In a short time, the end of August I guess over 60,000 people will camp on a dry lake bed in Northern Nevada creating the 4the largest city in the state for 1 week. What is very interesting is after they are gone, say October, you cannot tell they were there. Other then the tracks of vehicles every single piece of anything that hit the ground is picked up and gone. They believe in 'Leave No Trace" . They even have 2 post offices with Black Rock City as the name of the PO. The focus of this event is ART. It is all about the art, Art in all its shapes, sizes and expressions. I would expect that this year will see an explosion of aerial photography. In the past, the local Black Rock City Airport would be the method of getting those shots. Hundreds of people have jumped out of aircraft with gopro and landed in BRC. Black Rock city is, I think a 2 or 4 square mile area, fenced in with radar and all sorts of high security including BLM, Pershing County Sheriffs, and a lot of other support as this is a large city for 7 days. I would expect that folks will maybe stretch the limits of what we can do with our quads and it might make it to major media.

here is a link to the Burning Man website

http://www.burningman.com

(I am wedeliver in the eplaya forum there also)

Unlike the FAA, there are clearly defined rules for the use of multi-rotors in the BRC. Coincidentally, it was at the 2011 burn when I first saw a multi-rotor up close and was thoroughly blown away by its capabilities.

EDIT: That video has 1.8m views and it only shows maybe a half dozen of the 100s of art installations. Wow. Make a good video and you could get many millions of views!

ianwood said:
Unlike the FAA, there are clearly defined rules for the use of multi-rotors in the BRC. Coincidentally, it was at the 2011 burn when I first saw a multi-rotor up close and was thoroughly blown away by its capabilities.

EDIT: That video has 1.8m views and it only shows maybe a half dozen of the 100s of art installations. Wow. Make a good video and you could get many millions of views!

Hi ianwood, we host folks coming from the Pacific Northwest every year.. We went for 10 years straight and miss it a lot. Are you surprised at all the views that video got? Heck if you look closely you can see real boobies. :)

Burning Man is a photographers dream, truly all in one place, both night and day, changing and morphing at a pace your MIND has a hard time keeping up.

last year I heard they were all over the place, but imagine this year there'll be twice as many! everyone is picking up Phantom's these days.
I know a (really hot) chick who's boyfriend bought her a Phantom just so she could have it for Burning Man!

3 times for me. I am just saying that an aerial video that captured a lot more of the art and sunsets/sunrises would get crazy views. That one is good but could be a lot more. I didn't have the Phantom then but did this simple GoPro time lapse:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOprbSmWDW8[/youtube]

And then last year, some friends and I built this structure. The whole LED setup was home grown.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyug5C1EFf4[/youtube]

If I go again, the Phantom will be there. However, all RC/multirotors need to be registered (just like mutant vehicles) and the cutoff may have passed already for this year.

Gizmo3000 said:
last year I heard they were all over the place, but imagine this year there'll be twice as many! everyone is picking up Phantom's these days.
I know a (really hot) chick who's boyfriend bought her a Phantom just so she could have it for Burning Man!

At burning man every chick is a hottie.. and I would expect 10 times as many as last year. For that place a quad that can take pics is a dream come true. 20 times as many as last year, and bigger ones, heavy lifters like matrix etc.

ianwood said:
3 times for me. I am just saying that an aerial video that captured a lot more of the art and sunsets/sunrises would get crazy views. That one is good but could be a lot more. I didn't have the Phantom then but did this simple GoPro time lapse:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOprbSmWDW8[/youtube]

And then last year, some friends and I built this structure. The whole LED setup was home grown.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyug5C1EFf4[/youtube]

If I go again, the Phantom will be there. However, all RC/multirotors need to be registered (just like mutant vehicles) and the cutoff may have passed already for this year.

I thought you just had to register the video camera as everyone does. I will go look, maybe you can get a handicap permit. :)

Below are the rules, if you have a camera you must register the camera, if you don't have a camera, you do not need any permit to fly period. So everyone take their quad and Humm, I will see if there is a quad class or organized theme thing happening and report back here if I find something.

UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLES (aka DRONES)
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on pinterest_shareShare on email

BLACK ROCK CITY RC/UAV GUIDELINES AND INFORMATION

Hello fellow RC pilots and hobbyists! Black Rock City has a very crowded airspace, so we want you to be aware of some of the things you might encounter in the air above the city. There is a very busy airport, skydivers, long blinky strands of balloons, and many artworks that may extend up into the airspace above the city. Below are some fresh guidelines put together by a few volunteer RC pilots and fellow Burners who want to encourage the safe and responsible use of radio control unmanned aerial vehicles (RC/UAV) on the playa.

Be safe! Avoid flying over large crowds or densely populated areas. If you crash into a crowd you can seriously injure people. Follow the AMA safety code when flying any RC device. If you injure someone, you are responsible.
If your RC/UAV has a camera and you will record video/still photos from it, you need be aware of the video and photography guidelines in Black Rock City. Additionally, all RC/UAV with cameras need to register with Media Mecca*.
Don't fly near the airport. The airport is located at 5:00 and the trash fence. (See map)
Don't fly near the emergency helipad - Located near Point 1, and another by the airport, usually set up quickly (for emergencies, duh) so stay away from that whole area.
On the day of the Man burn (Saturday, September 1, 2013), RC/UAV, helicopters (be they full sized or models) or any other aircraft shall not be flown within the borders of the Great Circle (around the Man) from 7 AM until after the conclusion of the show.
The primary reasoning for this is that the pyrotechnics can be set off by static electricity which is caused by any aircraft, therefore creating a very hazardous environment for the pyrotechnics crew working on, in, and around the structure.
Secondarily the possibility of loss of control of the aircraft could cause damage to the structure, Man Base, or harm the working personnel in the area.
Join the RC/UAV mailing list and say hi to other RC/UAV pilots!
Flying around the temple during the burn is greatly discouraged and could lead to a ban in 2014.
If you are not using an FRSS radio (ie. you are using a 72Mhz or 27Mhz radio that uses specific channels) please email your channel request to [email protected] to reserve your channel.
Consider using a spotter / assistant to help keep an eye out for dangers or to handle observers coming up to talk to you while flying.
Weather in BRC can be very unpredictable and dangerous. Wind gusts come and go, along with zero visibility dust storms. Be aware and don’t fly during bad weather, and be ready to land quickly if you see a dust storm coming.
Be aware that BRC is at an elevation of about 3,900 feet, which means your props will be less efficient at keeping your RC/UAV in the air. Be ready for reduced flight times because of this.
* Note: The media form says you don’t need to register for personal use, but that exemption does not apply for UAV pilots.

HISTORY

Historically RC aircraft have not been required to register for use on the playa. A volunteer has maintained the [email protected] email since 2001, and he helped coordinate RC transmitter frequency and supplied some basic info on flying in BRC.

In general, RC/UAV have become more popular over the last few years in BRC, so the goal of this document is to establish some best practices when flying at Burning Man and to make sure pilots are aware of potential dangers.

In 2012, at least two RC/UAV were observed flying over the crowds at the Man burn. An RC helicopter was also flown during the temple burn, to the annoyance of many participants. In response, the BMOrg held a drone summit, and established a mailing list for RC/UAV pilots to create some guidelines for future use of RC/UAV at Burning Man.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.