burned bluray in 1080 and 4k both looked horrible

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am still learning both the drone and video editing. I made a short clip flying my P4P this afternoon and did a minimal color grade with FCPX and color finale the attempted to burn a bluray to play it on my 1080P TV using an xbox one to play it. The footage looked fine on my computer but I tried making 2 blurays, one 1080P and one 4K and both looked horrible on my TV. The original video was in 4K at 24 fps and a 1/50 shutter speed. The 1080P video I burned straight from the share selection in FCPX. The 4K one I exported as a master file which I burned using Toast DVD. I assume there is some step I'm missing.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

The first two questions I would have are, what country you are in (relevant to video standards), and what were your render settings from your editing program?

I'm not aware of any conventional Blu-ray players that can output 4K video, and if you don't have an Ultra-HD TV it would be pointless anyway. Certainly some of the crappiness with the 4K disc would be the player or the TV doing a poor job at downconversion.

Hi all,

I am still learning both the drone and video editing. I made a short clip flying my P4P this afternoon and did a minimal color grade with FCPX and color finale the attempted to burn a bluray to play it on my 1080P TV using an xbox one to play it. The footage looked fine on my computer but I tried making 2 blurays, one 1080P and one 4K and both looked horrible on my TV. The original video was in 4K at 24 fps and a 1/50 shutter speed. The 1080P video I burned straight from the share selection in FCPX. The 4K one I exported as a master file which I burned using Toast DVD. I assume there is some step I'm missing.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Nobody can tell you anything really meaningful until you tell US something meaningful.

There are a hundred ways your output on your TV could look 'horrible'. The video could stutter and freeze, The resolution could be lost. The color could be off. Contrast could be too high or too low. There could be compression artifacts introduced by your encoding software. You could have an issue with a codec. Your computer monitor that you edited this on might not be properly calibrated. You might be mixing and matching color spaces.

You need to tell us the following before anyone can give you an answer:

1. What exactly does horrible, in this case, mean? Don't say 'bad'. Be specific.
2. What Codec did you shoot with?
3. What software did you edit and burn the Blu-Ray with?
4. Is your monitor on your computer calibrated? Can it be set up to Rec 709 color space?

Video has more going on with it than most people realize. Your HDTV is NOT a big computer monitor. It has its own characteristics that need to be taken into consideration when you edit IF that is the final medium that you will be viewing this on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav