built in GPS tracker for phantom

Reaction score
Hi,

Bought a cheap universal GPS Tracker TK102 for $40 the other day with the thought of mounting it to my Phantom. To save weight and to avoid mounting it on the outside of the Phantom, I decided to break the GPS tracker down to its core and ditch the battery. I managed to build it into the Phantom and get the necessary current from the F2 of the NAZA-M (see photo). It works great !!!

Attachments

• phantom tk102.jpg
    phantom tk102.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 727
  • tk102.jpg
    tk102.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 667
To be constructively critical...

The biggest risk is the P2 battery popping out as does happen often. Next would be the a/c landing upside down but that can still be an issue when externally mounted as well if the a/c lands on top of the finder.

Amazed it works so well when the top shell is on with the GPS board and shield above it... or did you test that :eek:

Same question: Has it been tested?

It might also interfere with the other electronics! (RF interference) being so close to them.
(try holding a GSM phone close to a radio. Sometime you hear the clicking when it's querying the GSM antenna(s)/stations to keep the connection a live.)

Also. GSM phones adjust RF power according to signal strength (not sure it your tracker does).
So... Maybe your test setup is close to the GSM antenna/station, and all worked fine, but try again with a weak GSM signal to make sure!

I would be nervous of a battery malfunction.... Or dying battery... The tk102 battery lasts for Dayssss......I usr one myself but Velcro it outside.... It does look good there though....

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies, yes....I have tested this....I had the same thoughts regarding all sorts of interfering.... first tested it with the phantom pinned on the ground and see if it responded correctly to the controls....after that I flew first close to the ground and query the tracker.....after that just normal flying and query the tracker.....all went well, no problems so far.... ;-)

The tracker antenna is below the Phantom GPS and antenna, so it's not going to see satellites as well. Also, without an independent power source, your tracker goes dead with the Phantom. Hard to ping it for a location then.

To bad a small battery that draws charge from phantom battery could not be wired in...or could it?

I was wondering about this, about connecting to a power source inside the Phantom without soldering.
What are the options? Is the F2 port available on Phantom2 vision+? I suspect the camera gimbal is connected to it or?

Any other option?

I bought one of these trackers the other day. Looked like they sent me a used unit. The tracker rattles like something inside is loose and it does not charge. The charging cable has scuffs in it, like its been scraped and the USB end (The metal part) appears to have discolouration. All in all, I paid £17 for a piece of junk and will be sending it back to the seller for a refund. Glad some of you have had more luck.

The GSM bands are way lower and should not interfere with any of the Phantom electronics.
The reason you can hear GSM bands in speakers is totally different.
If it did cause problems, it would also cause them at the ~3" distance most others have theirs mounted.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic