Building a Long Range P2V + on a 500$ budget - Buildlog

Reaction score
Hello guys I had set my mind onto this project of building a Phantom Vision + for cheap and build it very well with some key components that were purchased new. I am here willing to share my progress and document future improvements to the build.
I have been searching for crashed parts of phantom vision + drones, and of course I could find little to no donated parts that would still work so I had to buy crashed parts.
So far I have about 395 $ into the bird, One esc had a broken connector, so I ordered a new one, I also ordered a brand new shell and painted it Blue with rust oleum 2 in 1 primer+ paint specific for plastics and I have to say the paint job has come out well and it's not flaking or pealing or scratching off, it holds quite well. I will finish it with bright yellow stripes at the front.
I also purchased a brand new battery and charger since I could not find anyone with spares to save some money on the power systems.
I also purchased carbon fiber props, which have not arrived yet.

I totally had to
1.install the motherboard, and whatever came with it, which is the Naza and a broken wifi unit.
2.Solder each of the esc+ motors to the main board, just to find out one connector on an ESC was broken in a crash so I have one new ESC on order.
3. Install new extended landing gear,
4. Install camera gimbal and figure out the cabling.

Thankfully I made a good deal on a lot of camera+gimbal+wifi unit for 150$. This worked out quite well since those parts new would cost close to 700$.
The owner had upgraded to a custom gimbal and gopro 4 camera and no longer needed this one which was barely used.

This is the result so far, the shell has not been closed yet, so you can see some white horizontal stripes between the 2 halves.

the copter is powering up and the 3 working escs first flash green once and then the 2 back ones flash continuously in yellow. I still have to see what it means.
Obviously it's indicating missing parts, like the ESC and the GPS.

Missing parts to make it complete are

1. GPS unit
2. Radio Control

If you have a good source for these 2 pieces pls let me know.
I will turn this into a long range machine with self built antennas.

Don.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 550
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 562
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 567
Re: Building a P2V + on a 500$ budget - Buildlog

captej26 said:
Sure is blue

Now it's blue but it will have yellow stripes and carbon fiber accents.

It will be one awsome long range machine. Looking for 4 mile range.

has anyone used a different radio and receiver on their phantom Vision plus? is it possible to do?
Like a Taranis or Futaba?

I have a stock transmitter that has the stock ant removed and a ufl installed (for my fpvlr ant) no range ext, along with a stock reciever..... Send me a pm if interested.

Roseto75 said:
has anyone used a different radio and receiver on their phantom Vision plus? is it possible to do?

I don't think so the control on the vision + is 5.8 most are 2.4

brorex said:
Roseto75 said:

I don't think so the control on the vision + is 5.8 most are 2.4

It should be possible to swap the 5.8ghz receiver with a long range 433MHz UHF receiver.
The Naza inside the bird has enough inputs to attach to a regular receiver.
I guess I'd need 1 servo cable extension per channel though.

I have a GPS from a crashed Phantom 1. I do not know if it functions. What is your location, if you are in the US I will mail it to you.

Just a quick update on the build:

I was able to connect the Naza to the pc with a USB port, powering the naza with an external battery.
All checked out fine, the latest version was automatically installed, I did set the limits to 7km horizontal range and 2km height just for fun, since I was in there.

I might do without the original transmitter and attach a Long Range UHF receiver to the Naza, as I don't believe 5.8GHz is reliable at the distances I want to fly and for the
type of low flying I want to be doing. I'd rather have a solution that is capable of 15km with omni antennas and have to worry only about the wifi .

@jimandsue60

I believe the GPS unit for the Phantom Vision Plus is different from the other versions. Thanks for the offer though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl