Building a 550 soon, question...

Reaction score
I’m planning to build an F550, starting in a week or two. I’m going to be ordering the craft, plus

Naza V2,
H3-3D gimbal plus mounting bracket,
DJI 2.4GHz BT Datalink (which I won’t be installing initially),
5.8 Video Downlink,
IOSD Mini,
Canhub,
Landing skids,
DJI DT7 tx and rx,
Black Pearl monitor and receiver,
Mount for attaching the monitor to the tx,
Batteries and charger,
Flytrex Core
(Have I forgotten anything?)

The GoPro can wait for a while.

I’m a competent solderer, and perfectly happy with understanding tech manuals, etc. I’ve become a competent and confident pilot of a Phantom, never a single mishap.

Just one thing really worries me - you spend well over a grand on all the kit, spend hours putting it all together, and checking everything 18 times, (I may well seek advice here when it comes to calibration!) and then comes the big day. How do you test it??? With any flying craft I think takeoff is the most anxious moment … will it ascend to 50 feet and come crashing down? Will it climb to 35000 feet, never to be seen again? Will it single-mindedly head off in the direction of Kazakhstan? Will it turn into a BBQ? How can you be confident?

Grateful for any advice and views here please!

I will try and respond more comprehensively later, however that seems like a complete kit.

One note though, if you install the H3-3D, you need to make sure you buy the version that comes with the GCU.

Also, if you install it, you need to put a camera on the gimbal otherwise it will get poorly quickly as it won't be weighted correctly.

HTH

b1nuzz said:
I will try and respond more comprehensively later, however that seems like a complete kit.

One note though, if you install the H3-3D, you need to make sure you buy the version that comes with the GCU.

Also, if you install it, you need to put a camera on the gimbal otherwise it will get poorly quickly as it won't be weighted correctly.

HTH

+1

I'll add that the Canbus HUB isn't really required with the other gear you have listed there.

As for your fear, that's totally understandable :) Just think of it as a Phantom with 2 extra motors, otherwise the control and feel of it will be very similar to what you're used to. Once you have everything connected on the workbench test it all there first of course (connect to NAZA assistant, calibrate/check all settings, run the motor test to confirm correct direction of spin, verify FPV works), don't forget the compass calibration before flight, and you should be safe to take off just like you always have.

Thanks B1 and OI.

I won't be installing the gimbal until further down the line, when it's built and working correctly, and at that time I'll also get a GoPro.

The Canbus comes as part of a deal which includes down to Landing Skids on my list up above. I figure I don't (yet) need the BT Datalink, and as you say, I don't need the Canbus, but buying the other bits separately still comes to more than the deal, so I might as well have them for the future.

Your advice on a suitable battery would be useful please. And also, when ordered, how much cabling is included, or will I need to source cables separately?

Thanks guys.

If you order the F550 ARF kit, it will come with the GPS (which although not on your list, I presume you want) all the fixings you need and all the cable. Double sided tape and velcro also included.

discv, this is the kit I've ordered:
https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/models/dji-in ... combo.html

Plus the DT7, the Black Pearl and the mount for it. Anything else, incl batteries etc, I can get from a great shop not 8 miles away. Ordering GoPro tomorrow.

I've been a good customer of Maplin in the last couple of days for loads of odd things such as cable ties and half a ton of extra solder.

And it arrives tomorrow morning!

Wow, that's the mother of kits :)

I notice it has 15a ESC's- so I assume that it will have the E300 motors- but I'm surprised that is not mentioned.

Either way- Cables and fittings will all be in the box.

To your original post, assuming due care and props turning the right way, big drama is very unlikely.

Good luck- looking forward to updates from you.

Well it arrived late morning. I've never seen so many little black boxes and wires, etc, in my life. This is a very complete kit.

Made a start. ESCs in and soldered. Wires were very long, had to shorten. That saved 20 grams! I see the motors are actually labelled CW or CCW. Impressed by the firm solidity of everything.

Yes discv, the motors are E300s.

CallMe...

I'm thinking doing a similar thing... However I'm think of saving some coin and pulling my NAZA v2 out of my Phantom. And buying a flame wheel kit with the ESC & motors. I've already got a gimbal.

This may sound silly but, does the NAZA you just received have the compass module that's on the leg on the Phantom ?.

In theory it should be the same unit NAZA v2 that's in my Phantom. I've enlarged the photos etc on DJI web site and there's only one model ?.

Regards Rob

Rob Brownee -no, there is not one of those little compasses as found on the leg of the Phantom. I believe the compass is in the same housing as the GPS antennas, the circular white and orange puck unit that has to be mounted on the top deck on a stalk.

CallMeAlan said:
I see the motors are actually labelled CW or CCW. Impressed by the firm solidity of everything.

That's the bit that needs thinking about. The CW/CCW relates to the thread direction- not the actual way it will rotate.

Browneee said:
In theory it should be the same unit NAZA v2 that's in my Phantom. I've enlarged the photos etc on DJI web site and there's only one model ?.

The hardware is the same but not the firmware....what version of Phantom are you taking the NAZA out of?

CallMeAlan said:
Rob Brownee -no, there is not one of those little compasses as found on the leg of the Phantom. I believe the compass is in the same housing as the GPS antennas, the circular white and orange puck unit that has to be mounted on the top deck on a stalk.

Correct :)

discv said:
CallMeAlan said:
I see the motors are actually labelled CW or CCW. Impressed by the firm solidity of everything.

That's the bit that needs thinking about. The CW/CCW relates to the thread direction- not the actual way it will rotate.

On the E300's, the labels actually indicate the direction of spin (little arrows on the side of the motor).

On the E300's, the labels actually indicate the direction of spin (little arrows on the side of the motor).

OL, what I meant was that the positioning of the CW/CCW motors on the arms need a bit of thought- and then be sure that they are in fact spinning the right way ;)

discv said:

OL, what I meant was that the positioning of the CW/CCW motors on the arms need a bit of thought- and then be sure that they are in fact spinning the right way ;)

Ahh gotcha! Sorry I've seen so much confusion with the spin direction vs thread direction I didn't want anyone going through that headache...should have realized you knew better ;)

.should have realized you knew better

For the record- as each of my many days passes, I realize how little I know ;)

OI Photography said:
discv said:

Ahh gotcha! Sorry I've seen so much confusion with the spin direction vs thread direction I didn't want anyone going through that headache...should have realized you knew better ;)

I'm going through this as well. I bought the E300 kit with ESCs, motors and props. Also bought the Flamewheel 550 which I'm enjoying putting together. I did wonder about the rotation, and thanks to this thread, now understand what the direction indicators on the motors really mean (it's not spelled out in the information that came with the kit itself).

One question I did have is the actual motors themselves. When turning them by hand, is it typical that some will feel "rougher" than the others? Should they all spin smoothly? I bought this kit directly from DJI, and am now wondering if I screwed myself over if I have to return any of this in case of a defective product.

All 6 motors with my new F550 kit - still in build - feel the same. But one of the 4 motors in my Phantom has always felt harder to turn than the other 3, and I suppose you could call it 'rough', or maybe 'bumpy'! But it's always been fine to fly. All you can do is test it when it's ready.

radioguy said:
OI Photography said:
discv said:

I'm going through this as well. I bought the E300 kit with ESCs, motors and props. Also bought the Flamewheel 550 which I'm enjoying putting together. I did wonder about the rotation, and thanks to this thread, now understand what the direction indicators on the motors really mean (it's not spelled out in the information that came with the kit itself).

One question I did have is the actual motors themselves. When turning them by hand, is it typical that some will feel "rougher" than the others? Should they all spin smoothly? I bought this kit directly from DJI, and am now wondering if I screwed myself over if I have to return any of this in case of a defective product.

Update-I visited with some folks at my local hobby/RC store. Their considered opinion is that if the motors don't all feel approximately equal, and one (or more) sticks out, then flying with such a motor is not a good thing. The expression I was given is that the motor in question is "cogging". That said, I've sent an email to DJI since I bought the package directly from them. I will report back on the status of the build, and will let you know what I learn from DJI. The kit is brand new, and has never been used, so I'm hoping they'll ship me a replacement motor (s) and I can finish my build.

I have seen people use a tether when testing. The main thing is to try not to reach the end of the tether.

I think that is the way I'll go if/when I ever build a 550.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie