Build Cheap REPEATER for phantom 3 standard/4K Lets do it together

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I want to share howto build repeater for DJI PHANTOM 3 STD / 4K
cons of this mod is we can mod more extra range with more power of the router and we can mod anything to the router without risking our phantom (brick or else)

Note!
This is my early howto video so i'm apologies if the video not giving you detail information, i'll working on it with next real flight range performance later

what we need is
old router or bought one if you dont have :)
and the most important is install that router with OpenWRT !
thats how dji can communicate with, because dji using OpenWRT too

like i'm mention before this is my early post for howto build repeater for phantom standard / 4k
for more detail i'm working on it soon, for more information let we discuss it together in here
i'm glad to share my knowledge and any input from you guys is very welcome

Thank You

*sorry if i'm slowly response on this thread, i'm bussy retired old boy :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

edited!

not cons but i mean pros
so embarrassed, english is not my mother language :)

another pros
its compatible with all dji phantom firmware! no need updagrade / downgrade
leave it as what is was

note again!
its all about 2.4ghz for phantom video feeds, not for extend rc (5.8ghz)

good luck

For easy way just create client from the router, and connected into phantom ssid, after connected then ADD again with Access Point (WDS) from the router, that OpenWRT call it REPEATER MODE, but why i'm not doing that easy way because router need to connected into RC 1st before broadcast for repeater mode active
if i'm doing that i can't show you all devices bind together into router, because all devices is on RC range makes all devices prefer to connected into RC rather then into ROUTER, but if the AC lost connection with the RC it begin connection into router (repeater)

#3 Repeater PART 2 without connecting a single cable

Last edited:
Impressive! Thanks for posting and looking forward to how you put this into practice

Thinking about this further...

The router is only @2.4ghz correct? What about the 5ghz band?

Am I right to think that you can use this to fly behind obstacle? By positioning the repeater behind the obstacle, so when the remote lose VLOS, the repeater take over and send the signal to the bird.

Am I right to think that you can use this to fly behind obstacle? By positioning the repeater behind the obstacle, so when the remote lose VLOS, the repeater take over and send the signal to the bird.

yessss !! the idea for repeater is like your thought !!
thats why it call WDS = wireless distribution system
in theory it can use as many as it can for repeater because wds keep all repeater bind together

but once again lets found out together :)

Hi Guys,
I want to share howto build repeater for DJI PHANTOM 3 STD / 4K
cons of this mod is we can mod more extra range with more power of the router and we can mod anything to the router without risking our phantom (brick or else)

Note!
This is my early howto video so i'm apologies if the video not giving you detail information, i'll working on it with next real flight range performance later

what we need is
old router or bought one if you dont have :)
and the most important is install that router with OpenWRT !
thats how dji can communicate with, because dji using OpenWRT too

like i'm mention before this is my early post for howto build repeater for phantom standard / 4k
for more detail i'm working on it soon, for more information let we discuss it together in here
i'm glad to share my knowledge and any input from you guys is very welcome

Thank You

*sorry if i'm slowly response on this thread, i'm bussy retired old boy :)

Awesome! Did you have any test of your extender?
Any tutorial to connect with this OPENWRT extender?

I saw your video but totally not understand. Thanks :)

Awesome! Did you have any test of your extender?
Any tutorial to connect with this OPENWRT extender?

I saw your video but totally not understand. Thanks :)
in theory yes of course it will more range, as how much power at the router to repeat the signal from the rc to the rc

i thought all you have to know it already on that video, you just have to set ssid + mode + security, nothing else

but come on guys
i just giving you all a clue
please help all together for this experiment, and help each other to response another people who need to know better, i know a lot of people in here who more smartest enough from me that can explain better than me :)

keep helping each others guys, i'm leaving for vacation for a while...cheers!!!

I've also been trying to get something like this together.

I want to be able to fly from inside a house or vehicle without running a muck of wires from the controller. Also wouldn't have to worry about frying an expensive controller if I wanted to run amps as well.

It could go something like

Controller ---> wifi repeater ---> amp ---> mounted antenna

Or even have the whole thing setup somewhere high. I think it could be built for under $100.

Goodluck in the meantime, I'll post back if I get something working.

Reactions: Odda1967
oke guys this is my maiden flight report so far

1. RC txpower down to 17dBm enough to prevent noise because no need a lot of power on rc anymore
2. AC txpower up to 25dBm
3. RC with stock 2.4ghz antenna + patch 5.8ghz 11dBi
4. Repeater use 2.4ghz 9dBi omni + 2.4ghz 11 dBi patch
5. Repeater powered by 2s (8.4v) low for reqirement the router need 12volt
6. test on urban area with a lot of interference
7. many high building and BTS tower

result:
1. only get 1.5km it because RC signal knock out but signal 2.4ghz never lost still full
2. battery router 10 minutes running drop into 7.6volt (3.80/cell)

conclution:
are you guys kidding me? its working !!!
next project extend my 5.8ghz!!

note for point 5 i'm using 2s battery only 3x2cm not with generator :)

max range before RC 5.8ghz knock out
max-range.png

equipment, RC with 2.4ghz stock antenna + 11 dBi patch antenna for 5.8ghz
equipment.jpg

Next you'll need a portable power generator and a van to move the equipment around.

see my prev post at point 5, thats for you :)

Or hack through all existing wifi in town. :smilingimp::smilingimp:

not that simple
guys take a note, use OpenWRT to interconnecting with dji
save your time!!
there is no other way all devices can communicate except with OpenWRT

i'm trying
mikrotik
dd-wrt
ubnt

etc
etc

not working

I've also been trying to get something like this together.

I want to be able to fly from inside a house or vehicle without running a muck of wires from the controller. Also wouldn't have to worry about frying an expensive controller if I wanted to run amps as well.

It could go something like

Controller ---> wifi repeater ---> amp ---> mounted antenna

Or even have the whole thing setup somewhere high. I think it could be built for under $100.

Goodluck in the meantime, I'll post back if I get something working.

i think it solve with 2.4ghz with this repeater
now your turn, make 5.8ghz repeater experiment :)

Reactions: DarkAbyss
5. Repeater powered by 2s (8.4v) low for reqirement the router need 12volt

result:
1. only get 1.5km it because RC signal knock out but signal 2.4ghz never lost still full
2. battery router 10 minutes running drop into 7.6volt (3.80/cell)
You can try to find a usb step up 5v to 12v cable, therefore you can use a standard 5v2A powerbank to power your router.
20160820_225109.jpg

And depending on the barrel jack, you just need to find the correct barrel jack to connect to the router. Or cut off from the ac adapter barrel jack and solder it to the usb.
20160817_115756.jpg

I use this to power the silver sunhans 5.8ghz which need 12v and it worked.

Btw, how did you send you RC signal to the router? Is the router connected to another router through ethernet?

You can try to find a usb step up 5v to 12v cable, therefore you can use a standard 5v2A powerbank to power your router.
And depending on the barrel jack, you just need to find the correct barrel jack to connect to the router. Or cut off from the ac adapter barrel jack and solder it to the usb.
I use this to power the silver sunhans 5.8ghz which need 12v and it worked.

great! Thank's for the hints!

Btw, how did you send you RC signal to the router? Is the router connected to another router through ethernet?

binggo this question is i'm waiting for
good question my friend very good question !

oke that supposed to be our next step, i mention before i had to making another video for that step because i'm difficult to explain, you all have to wait for my other video or just do your own riset, its your call

i'm giving you a clue, expand your own mind
if you give up, than wait for my next video :)

but like my promised before, this repeater can do it without touching the phantom (easy way) or have a litlte mod with script inside the RC (advance way)

pros & cons with that method will be discuss later

oke guys please read again 2nd post above !

Great idea... I ran across this post and thought that you might take interest in it. Same concept, just installed in a portable case... Portable Ground Station

wow awesome job you have done
my idea to build this repeater is about how can we makes our phantom flew arround the city while we controlled at living room not at roof top at the house
its cold and its windy :(
i want to flew phantom with relax sit on sofa drink cofee and see video feeds at my 60" tv screen, oh thats awesome :)

but i think with no clue for howto expand RC signal (5.8ghz) that will be hard to do
it become useless we can expand 2.4ghz without 5.8ghz
connection still disconnected when rc lost with the ac
even 2.4ghz still have a strong signal :(

in other word i'm still have to flew phantom at roof top because still can't repeater the rc 5.8ghz signal, yes it can be done with long RG cable from the roof to living room but what a mess :lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31