Brushless Gimbal help

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have purchased this : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281137559926?ssP ... 1497.l2649

and I am hoping that it comes with detailed instructions for hookup as Ive seen some posts where folks are awfully confused at how to get it to work...

Can anyone speak to the setup of this thing? What am I going to need to hookup? I'd really like to be able to control the pitch axis from my stock controller and saw a post on how to do that with X1 by wiring in your own pot. Hoping that someone can give me a little advice on the other things I'll need to get this up and running.

thanks guys - so many great folks on here!

So it's here!

i have no idea what i am doing sadly :( It has 2 servo type wires coming from it - one a 3 pin which i hope is pitch control, and the other looks like power - but i have no idea how to power it - 0 instructions included :(

3 photos - one - the overall gimbal, and the others : each wire

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,
telemole

Attachments

• gimbl1.jpg
    gimbl1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 632
  • gimbal2.jpg
    gimbal2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 630
  • gimbal3.jpg
    gimbal3.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 665
The red connector should be power, and the other tilt control.

You can take power from the auxiliary line the Phantom has, or any of the battery sources on the main board, or esc.

The other will most likely plug into the Naza X1 port. That port is designated for gimbal tilt, or gains adjustment.

Good Luck.

You should have a "main controller" board included with the parcel. The two brushless motors plug into the controller board and it powers from the cable poking thru one of the phantoms legs.

I don't think brishless motors can be plugged directly into the naza. In the listing it says the v3 controller board is included. I'm pretty sure you tune the settings in directly to that board, I'm not sure if the 7th channel (pitch control) can be run thru this board, I don't have one myself, hopefully someone with a v3 control board will chime in and let you know.

Hey Telemode, I got that gimbal too. I have an Arris and compared boards and are the same Martinez Board base.

No user manual at all but as they are the same, i checked the wires and got it working. Here is how;

1) The red-black wires are for power (12v) that you can get from extra power wires comming from phantom main board or from a balance adapter from batter, even from another extra little battery.
2) the black cable with servo connector (3 wires) is for tilt control using 7th channel... Here you only have to connect the SIGNAL wire to Naza FC F2 connector. It has 3 pins: top most is for ground (not used if you get the power from main battery), middle for 5v (for servos, not used here) and bottom most for tilt signal. This one is the ONLY required. Just connect the black wire that has white stripes to bottom most pin in F2. Leave the other 2 wires disconnected.
3) Goto Naza Assistant, connect to phantom USB and activate gimbal on, tilt gains to 5,5 frequency to 400 and speed to 80.

Thats all, hope it is clear enough.
a5989357-186-Naza%20Gimbal%20Settings-ArrisCM2000.jpg

I am REALLY hoping you can help me then!

I can't get this thing working right - like most folks it 'kinda' worked out of the box once i discovered what you told me about power. i just made up a cable to give it 12 v from a battery. This brought it to life - without the cam on there it was crazy. I put the cam on and rebooted. better - but not perfect at all.

At this point it was acting pretty strange - jerky and jumping... i powered it off - when i powered it on again : nothing. blule light but no motors. I decided to read the forums and learn how to load firmware etc. It seemed to be similar to a lot of other peoples boards so i followed instructions from this forum.

I have loaded firmware 048 using the arduino tool - nothing else seemed to load the firmware. Now the gimbal powers, but basically sits very still - like it's locked in one position only :(

I have no idea what to do next and really hope I haven't thrown away $160. Can anyone tell me what to do to get this thing working properly? I am really lost and frustrated. Instructions online are based on peoples findings with their gimbals, but I can't really find anyone who has THIS one working properly - any help is appreciated. I'd even give out a phone number and beg one of you to give me a ring!

thanks guys

When power the gimbal keep camera leveled before it complete inizialization. Check that nothing touch the gimbal moving (i.e. wires).
Here is a short video showing the difference:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAH-7HcuATU[/youtube]

ok guys - i'm getting perhaps closer - but worried that something is wrong with the gear now

I have the firmware loading - and in the gui when i click to start monitoring - i get 0's for pitch and roll...

should the IMU be feeding back more data than this? I can't start to tweak values if the unit doesnt think it's moving right?

The imu is in the right spot i think, and there is a red LED lit on it all the time (and a blue LED on the control board)

not sure what to do next :(

Attachments

• boardgui.jpg
    boardgui.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 575
Telemole,
Can you post here the software tool V49? I have another version, so can't test mine for give you more help.
Did you receive the tool with gimbal or if you have a download link, please post it.

jumanoc said:
Telemole,
Can you post here the software tool V49? I have another version, so can't test mine for give you more help.
Did you receive the tool with gimbal or if you have a download link, please post it.

I got the code from here : https://code.google.com/p/brushless-gim ... loads/list

and i used the arduino tool to first erase the eeprom and then write the most recent version to the board.

I can get it powered, but the motors seem to want to lock it (gently) to one spot - it will rotate 45 degrees on each axis if i twist it by hand and then locks to that spot - it's as if it's not getting any pitch roll data so just locking to some default... no idea if I have done something wrong or if the boards are damaged now or what...

so frustrating to see it JUST not work :(

I can handle tweaking... i just cant get to that stage :(

is it possible that my gyro is not working?

Ive checked all the wires and they are all good contacts... 4 wires from the gyro back to the board... gyro is in the right orientation...

that graph never moves - so if the unit never thinks its moving... how can it try to correct - no idea how to test that gyro board without buying another one :(

ARGH!
going to upload a video of it's behaviour

hope you guys are interested enough to help out :) sorry for being a pain

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20