Broken Video cable

Reaction score
I am stuck with the same issue. (a broken video cable) (black ribbon cable). I was flying at about 15 feet showing my kids how cool this new toy was, and it decided to drift off on its own and attempt to land on my pitched garage roof. After skipping down the asphalt and flipping over, it fell ten feet to the concrete. One blade broke in half and the bottom half of the camera flew off. This tore the cable but seemed to cause no other real damage the camera snapped right back together.
Now when I turn on the PV2+ the camera flops around out of control. So, it looks like it would be fairly easy to swap out the cable. Will DJI do this or are they saying that the entire camera needs replaced? Is there still no option to buy just the cable somewhere.
Thanks
jacobnaber

Well that seems goofy. I'll keep looking. To have less than two flt hours on this machine and to have to do a replacement fix cost at half of what the machine cost, for a little cable, is not cool.
Thanks though.

I know :(
Been there did that ;)
keep smiling my friend :mrgreen:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 732
I'm not sure how many people that have replaced their gimbal/camera have actually tried to send it in. I think the issues getting through to DJI and the month leadtime scared a lot of them into just buying another one.

I have send it in, and the price was €670,00. :shock:
honestly I think it is a shame for that price :cry:
I don't do that and bought a new one. ;)
The one without the camera I use for Manuel mode. :lol:

I would hope DJI makes that cable available for purchase in the near future. That looks like it's the number one requested part after a crash.

People forced to spend $679 instead of $5 to make the quad whole again is crazy.

DJI could give the cables away free and it still wouldn't help.
They have fitted it in such a way that owners would not be able to replace the cable anyway.

Did you send it to dJI or a dealer? If it was a dealer I'd say they took advantage of you. If it was DJI I've got nothing..

M.Tigelaar said:

Hey Ryan,
Could you please let me know how you went about sending your phantom in to DJI.
Any information would be great.
Thanks

I called the service # from this page. It can be tough to get through but I haven't tried lately.

http://www.dji.com/service

I went through the paid repair part assuming it was going to cost me. There are a little different steps for purchase from a dealer, looks like it's supposed to go to the dealer first and if they can't fix it go to DJI.

ryanhoelzer said:
Did you send it to dJI or a dealer? If it was a dealer I'd say they took advantage of you. If it was DJI I've got nothing..

M.Tigelaar said:

It was send to DJI Germany.
I have seen the calculation from DJI on the bill.
It was €554,00 without tax.
We have 21% tax :cry:

Wow, that's rough. I wonder if you complain you could get something back or they'd just start charging everyone that much..

I have read so many posts here and there. This video cable thing is real widespread issue. Why in the world would I buy another set up like this? I wouldn't. I could buy ten of them, but really i would just end up with a table full of plastic. My phantom was nearly brand new and just flew off and crashed. I was only anout fifteen feet away with 65 percent ac battery and 100 percent remote battery. I guess I willjust try to send it in under warranty and if they won't ablige, I'll invest in a power parachute and take pictures with my phone. Disappointed in this product anyway.

Meta4 said:
DJI could give the cables away free and it still wouldn't help.
They have fitted it in such a way that owners would not be able to replace the cable anyway.

I haven't had a reason to take my camera and gimbal apart but I would hope it's a doable job by dismantling the components to get to the connectors that are hidden.

They put it together by hand, so taking it apart and replacing the cable by hand is possible. It's not that much different than doing a cable replacement inside an iphone.

I have decided to return the Phantom to Amazon. I will not be buying another one. Thanks for the help everyone.
J

Hi
This is mi first reply/post on this nice forum.
Im form Spain and in todophantom.com, there is one user that post this great idea:

http://www.todophantom.com/como-evitar- ... mofusible/

I dont know how is the english name, i think: could be thermic glue? Applied with a hot gun.

My answer is for the creator of this threat... This trick... could be prevent the damage?
Im sorry for my little english.

Jstic said:
They put it together by hand, so taking it apart and replacing the cable by hand is possible. It's not that much different than doing a cable replacement inside an iphone.

Tell that to my drone doctor. He can work wonders on most of the things that make up a Phantom but tells me that the cable is not replaceable. That no-one has been able to replace one backs this up.

I have a perfectly good camera and cable (water damage to gimbal control board only) and he wasn't interested in using that to fix any of the Phantoms he had in for broken gimbals or cables. He's tried and says it is not possible.
It's to do with the way they have connected the cable ends. They are not simply plug in fittings.

There's definitely some discrepancy on this issue..

I took my broken one apart at the camera end and it was a typical ribbon cable connector that you had to lift up and then it released. See link below.

http://www.camerahacker.com/myink/ViewP ... bon_Cables

I'm pretty sure I saw a video of someone fixing their gimbal tilt and he released that part of the cable and I'm pretty sure it was the same. That would have been the middle of the cable.

I don't know if I've seen a picture of the other end. it's possible it's soldered to the board and it would require replacing the board and the cable.

Hard to tell from the disassembled one here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-2-V ... 7675.l2557

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl