Broken hearted today...

What do you guys think are the chances that the Phantom washes up on shore? Given it dropped at about 150-200 yards out into pretty deep water?

The tide is rough right now, and may have strong currents.

Funny thing happened on my second last flight, the other night.
When I landed and had a look at the Phantom, while letting her cool down a few minutes before inserting a fresh battery. I noticed some stains on two of the rotor blades, out near their tips. Mostly on the underside of those two blades. It was definitely blood, but I have no idea what was hit or where it happened? Thankfully, what ever it was, didn't upset the Phantom 3 from continuing on, in her "Mission"!!
I had lost sight of her, and had to rely on the map, which thankfully showed me the route she had flown, and direction of travel. I turned it around and brought her back to me... Wow that gave me a rush, to the cerebral cortex.
I left the blood stains on, if only for good luck. To chase away any flight demons or gremlins...

RedHotPoker

What do you guys think are the chances that the Phantom washes up on shore? Given it dropped at about 150-200 yards out into pretty deep water?

The tide is rough right now, and may have strong currents.
JIMO I would think the chances are slim rob but you never know with the ocean . Some times it will give back what it takes and sometimes not .
If you had your # on it and someone was to walk up on it that would be nice !

JIMO I would think the chances are slim rob but you never know with the ocean . Some times it will give back what it takes and sometimes not .
If you had your # on it and someone was to walk up on it that would be nice !

Being a long time student of the ocean, I can tell you this.

If this Quad is recovered, it will be far beyond repair. Within just 2 hours in the Gulf, anything lost there is covered in inches of sand. I volunteer my time as a search and recovery amateur for those who lose things in the Gulf. I've been with this effort for three years.

I've recovered items, mostly wedding rings, within two hours that were buried under five + inches of sand in just three feet of water. And that would be calmer water with wave heights of 12-18".

I personally use a Garret AT Pro for my recovery efforts. I cannot afford a more specialized machine unlike many of those I work with in these efforts. I have, however, seen people spend in excess of $2500 to pay a more specialized "hunt for hire" person to attempt recovery. These people can use SCUBA gear as well as their $2000+ metal detecting machines to recover items. And as strange as it may sound, those recoveries are typically made in less than five feet of water yet, require "hovering" via SCUBA gear, under the waters surface for three to five hours before those people recover the ring. Rings in excess of $25k in value. Primarily the rings of females.

I've also recovered larger items such as GoPro's with "selfie sticks" that were buried in six inches of sand and just three hours into their loss. The heavier the item, the faster it seems to be covered by the natural movement of sand. Depending on the currents and wave action of the day, these depths can be MUCH greater. If the waves are 3' plus, I may not be able to detect the item due to the amount of sand moved.

Once something has succumbed to the ocean, and remained there for days, it is very unlikely it will be recovered. When it is, it often requires significant amounts of time, effort, and expenses to do so.

When I landed and had a look at the Phantom, while letting her cool down a few minutes before inserting a fresh battery. I noticed some stains on two of the rotor blades, out near their tips. Mostly on the underside of those two blades. It was definitely blood, but I have no idea what was hit or where it happened? Thankfully, what ever it was, didn't upset the Phantom 3 from continuing on, in her "Mission"!!
I had lost sight of her, and had to rely on the map, which thankfully showed me the route she had flown, and direction of travel. I turned it around and brought her back to me... Wow that gave me a rush, to the cerebral cortex.
I left the blood stains on, if only for good luck. To chase away any flight demons or gremlins...

RedHotPoker

Its interesting you had this happen as I just had the same thing although I was in visible range flying over a small stream. I didn't see any action but my drone made a sudden weird motion like it lost GPS momentarily. I brought it in as I was worried maybe there was interference. When it landed there was the slightest trickle of blood on one of the props. There was no other damage but I did not see any bird come that close (although there were many in the area). Maybe the P3 is more bird resilient than previous models.

Blackhawk, you sir are a stud. Your life has been very adventurous to say the least. Looks like I just need to come straight to you for all the right answers!

Blackhawk, you sir are a stud. Your life has been very adventurous to say the least. Looks like I just need to come straight to you for all the right answers!

Now don't get carried away with your bad self. ;)

I ONLY answer those topics I have experience with. There are MANY topics here I've read, but not bothered to place input in since I haven't the experience to do so.

I'm just expressing my personal observations in a given water area. If you weren't in the Gulf, things could be entirely different. Hell, even different spectrums of Gulf water can produce very different results. I'm speaking about my experiences from the far East area of Panama City, perhaps 20 miles East of the city, to roughly 30 miles West of Destin, at my furthest excursion.

I've done this purely out of my desire to keep myself busy and, to help my fellow man. So I have no dog in this hunt.

I wish you the very best of luck in your recovery efforts. However, if the craft had no flotation device(s) attached to it, I would call it a loss and instead, spend such monies in acquiring a new craft rather than attempting to retrieve this one.

Sorry for your loss.

If it was that far away can you be sure it was a prop and not a motor failure?

Sorry for your loss.

If it was that far away can you be sure it was a prop and not a motor failure?
Sure in the sense that I saw activity at the props (perhaps a bird strike based on others opinion). What I saw looked like the prop simply breaking up or shattering. Then an instant death spiral.

There was definitely a moment of some sort not just a motor shut down which would have looked more like one side lagging first or drooping before beginning the spiral.

Now don't get carried away with your bad self. ;)

I ONLY answer those topics I have experience with. There are MANY topics here I've read, but not bothered to place input in since I haven't the experience to do so.

I'm just expressing my personal observations in a given water area. If you weren't in the Gulf, things could be entirely different. Hell, even different spectrums of Gulf water can produce very different results. I'm speaking about my experiences from the far East area of Panama City, perhaps 20 miles East of the city, to roughly 30 miles West of Destin, at my furthest excursion.

I've done this purely out of my desire to keep myself busy and, to help my fellow man. So I have no dog in this hunt.

I wish you the very best of luck in your recovery efforts. However, if the craft had no flotation device(s) attached to it, I would call it a loss and instead, spend such monies in acquiring a new craft rather than attempting to retrieve this one.

It's funny you mentioned your search areas. I'm in Seagrove on 30a as we speak, and that's where my incident occurred. I was in PC the week before, but wouldn't dare fly there....way too crowded.

Reactions: BlackHawk388
Its interesting you had this happen as I just had the same thing although I was in visible range flying over a small stream. I didn't see any action but my drone made a sudden weird motion like it lost GPS momentarily. I brought it in as I was worried maybe there was interference. When it landed there was the slightest trickle of blood on one of the props. There was no other damage but I did not see any bird come that close (although there were many in the area). Maybe the P3 is more bird resilient than previous models.

After flying two batteries tonight, all four blades now have what appears to be small splatters of red blood. It couldn't be insects, and when ever birds were near by, I took the Phantom 3. up well above their flight ceiling, so I'm stumped as to what I sliced through.
If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, I would sure like to hear about them. It's a mystery to me, so far. A bird would drop the Phantom in its tracks, for sure. Even a tiny hummingbird would make one heck of a mess.

RedHotPoker

I added a Getterback rod recover device to my Phantom whenever I fly over water. My Phantom & GoPro might be a total loss, but at least I can salvage the footage.

After flying two batteries tonight, all four blades now have what appears to be small splatters of red blood. It couldn't be insects, and when ever birds were near by, I took the Phantom 3. up well above their flight ceiling, so I'm stumped as to what I sliced through.
If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, I would sure like to hear about them.
RedHotPoker

Were you flying near Enrique Iglesia?

Reactions: dirkclod
I could hear faint music in the background, but I couldn't quit make it out... So a bloody mini Enrique was possibly floating around a local park in the capital city tonight... ;-)

I would have liked his autograph. In red of course. Hahaha
That's not my kind of music. Much More a Frank V Zappa fan here.

RedHotPoker

Ya know robfern, sometimes when I read a story about a bird hitting the water and vanishing, I feel a bit of relief knowing that one isn't going to smack someone in the head and make the news. In your case I am saddened by your loss. I hope you jump right back on the horse and ride even farther with your new bird. :D

Go man go.
Can you picture yourself without a Phantom? :( That would just suck. :(

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, I would sure like to hear about them. It's a mystery to me, so far. A bird would drop the Phantom in its tracks, for sure. Even a tiny hummingbird would make one heck of a mess.

RedHotPoker
Much agreed, but the blood was too red for insect blood (unless it was some very big mosquitoes). You did remind me though to break out the canned air and give it a good once over.

RedHotPoker

Rob, sorry man for your loss. Hope you will be flying again soon, time heals but we never forget.....

Redhot, I live in the southeast where summers are hot and humid and we have a lot of bugs flying all around. After every flight I check my blades and notice blood spots on the LE of the blades.

Rob, I hope you do continue on, and replace the lost bird.
It's a large investment but well worth it.

hychewright,
I always thought bugs had green blood?
What ever it was, must have been flying very high up...
Although I suppose it could have been struck, at any elevation we had traveled.
Perhaps we need abrasion shields along the leading edge? ;-)

I have yet to fly over any bodies of water. It unnerves me, plus I don't want to ruin a great thing. Although our N. Saskatchewan River valley is quite awesome this time of year. I also have a large park, I like to visit, fairly near by, that has a reservoir lake/pond on it. There are geese and other birds that nest and hang around there, I think if would also make a cool looking video. If I can record, while high enough up, not to disturb anything...

RedHotPoker

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav